ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-29-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

tuning products avail for m coupe?

i have been doing some research on this topic as i will no doubt look to purchase an m coupe in the future.
one of the things i have noticed is the decidedly lack of aftermarket products available for the z4 m coupe.
i will try and break them down, feel free to add anything that u know of. i will concentrate mainly on performance mods, as im not really interested in bodykits (u can go to most of the main tuners for this such as ac, hartge, hamann)
ecu- revozport have an e46 m3 software upgrade which claims to give 15hp, but costs about $1200. im not sure if its compatible tho. does anyone know if the m3 software upgrades can be carried over to the m coupe, i think i read somewhere they are not the same.
dinan also offers m3 software as well, but it seems that they only have minimal gains.
evotech offers a reflash
http://www.dynocomp.com/bmw.php?view=bmw
intake- gruppe m have a nice cf unit, but costs a nice chunk of change, about $1200. my brother has a gruppe m on his evo9, looks the biz, and he gets a nice induction roar as well as excellent power gains from it.
k&n have a drop in filter unit, i doubt any power gains, but its reusable.
afe make an intake, but im not sure if it fits the m coupe

exhaust- supersprint and remus are the only major exhaust guys that i have come across that have developed a system for the m coupe. it seems that ac and hamann just rebadge the above mentioned brands and add fancy tips on them and call them their own.
milltek sport, who i regard as one of the better exhaust manufacturers, have emailed me and said that atm, they have no plans to develop a unit as demand is low
also, with ss and remus, are their units only cat back? do they offer performance headers, and what about 100 or 200 cell high flow cats?

clutch- unlock valve from bavauto.com

ok, a final question, seeing as the s54 engine is shared with the m3, can most of the tuning products for an e46 m3 transfer over? is the exhaust the same? they r both quad systems, but i guess pipe length isnt the same.

feel free to add
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
ecu- revozport have an e46 m3 software upgrade which claims to give 15hp, but costs about $1200. im not sure if its compatible tho. does anyone know if the m3 software upgrades can be carried over to the m coupe, i think i read somewhere they are not the same.
You're correct. They're not compatible.

The M3 and the MZ4 have completely different muffler & mid-pipe designs so the parts are not interchangeable. You should also look into the Eisenmann exhausts (sport version or race version).

How about a cheap mod that greatly improves driving experience? Get the ZHP short shift knob. For anyone who's still driving around with stock shift-knobs, you have NO idea what you're missing out.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

gp20, can u post pics of ur car, and the short shift knob, is it just a shorter knob, or is it a short shift kit?

also, the m side skirts, is it a m coupe specific part, or a general part, and the stb, is it also a m coupe specific part or general part.

do u have a pic of ur car with and withour the side skirts, i cant tell teh difference
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

The "facelift" Z4s 06+ have only been out for a year or so so expecting there to be a grip of mods is impractical. It takes time for companies to even THINK about making mods for a new car because there needs to be a market to sell the products before they will spend the time/money to design and make these products. You should drive an MCoupe before you worry about modding it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

ur right, ill report back with my thoughts after my test drive
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

The Dyno Comp reflash seems interesting. I'm going to investigate...
      08-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
CampioniShop
Rep
Drives: na

We have an exhaust for the facelit 06+ but it's for the convertible.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
ronn888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

hamann seems to make some parts as well as a reflash. They don't make it real easy to order though. No part number, no price:

http://www.hamann-motorsport.com/662.0.html?&L=1