ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

What's inside the Z4M's EOM resonator ???

Hey guys - does anyone know or have a picture of an opened OEM resonator?

I'm thinking of cutting at the bottom of it and adding a 3 inch exhaust cutout right under it, but before I go and destroy it - I want to have an idea of what I'm against.

I'm not interested in driving the loudest car in town....
just like to hear more of the popping/burping sound when releasing the gas pedal and keep the sounds normal/low when I have a talkative passanger

Here is the cutout I'm aiming for http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-qtec33/overview/

Thoughts?

Here a video just so you have a slight idea of what I want.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Mate, I would advise against doing the electrical cut out.. Save your cash and get a set of proper cans.. Either that or de-baffle your current one.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well... let me start from the front - I have euro headers original sec1, original res... and small Magnaflows... the car sounds nice as it is.... just wanted to experiement with the sound.

Can I ask why you don't like the idea?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Cos it tacky : P (IMHO ofcourse)
They come up for sale every now and then on the marketplace here from guys that have had them, they never seem to keep them long..

That said, man, it's your car, u like it, you go for it bud! ; )

Also another interesting aspect comes up in regards to yearly road worthy checks, I know back home in aus, this would be marked straight away as a defect. (Unless ofcourse you know the guy doing the roadworthy ; )
      07-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I used to have a similar Quicktime cutout on my 3000GT. I had the y pipe welded into a race pipe that replaced the stock cat. It was pretty fun, and on a turbo car it helped spool faster. It also made my V6 sound like a V8. If you get one I would recomend getting a deflecting pipe added to it so the exhaust is directed down and away from anything under the car. Also be careful of the connections and around the electric motor, the first cutout I had shorted out from water getting in around the heat shrink and the 2nd one I filled in with some puddy.

I also had the switch for it wired up into an accessory socket (3000GT has 2) and it was hidden with a flip cover. Made the install cleaner and more "sleeper".

The whole thing is kind of novelty really. Its fun for awhile, but you might get sick of it. There is a little bit of power gain, especially for turbo cars, but not much at all. The nice thing is, when you want to be loud you can be really loud and when you just want to cruise down the highway you don't have to deal with the drone. I would definitely try to get it mounted in something that can be replaced like a small section of pipe. If you cut into something expensive and decide you don't like it, you'll be paying a lot to get it replaced.
      07-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Cos it tacky : P (IMHO ofcourse)
They come up for sale every now and then on the marketplace here from guys that have had them, they never seem to keep them long..

That said, man, it's your car, u like it, you go for it bud! ; )

Also another interesting aspect comes up in regards to yearly road worthy checks, I know back home in aus, this would be marked straight away as a defect. (Unless ofcourse you know the guy doing the roadworthy ; )
Ahhh Inspection - good point. hummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
I used to have a similar Quicktime cutout on my 3000GT. I had the y pipe welded into a race pipe that replaced the stock cat. It was pretty fun, and on a turbo car it helped spool faster. It also made my V6 sound like a V8. If you get one I would recomend getting a deflecting pipe added to it so the exhaust is directed down and away from anything under the car. Also be careful of the connections and around the electric motor, the first cutout I had shorted out from water getting in around the heat shrink and the 2nd one I filled in with some puddy.

I also had the switch for it wired up into an accessory socket (3000GT has 2) and it was hidden with a flip cover. Made the install cleaner and more "sleeper".

The whole thing is kind of novelty really. Its fun for awhile, but you might get sick of it. There is a little bit of power gain, especially for turbo cars, but not much at all. The nice thing is, when you want to be loud you can be really loud and when you just want to cruise down the highway you don't have to deal with the drone. I would definitely try to get it mounted in something that can be replaced like a small section of pipe. If you cut into something expensive and decide you don't like it, you'll be paying a lot to get it replaced.
I thought of getting two right after the my sec1 cats, but it might be a lot of work, plus like you said if I don't like them then I have to pay a lot to get my sec1 to work with my headers again.

Thanks for your input my friends.

Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Cut-outs to my knowledge are not illegal on US roads unless you run them "open" and they surpass the legal decimal limit. US is pretty carefree about what mods are legal and what arent, especially compared to many other countries. With that being said, its worth checking with your local DMV and law enforcement (though I wouldnt tell the cops what car you are driving, unless you like cherries and berries)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I thought about this for ages and in the end just modified my OEM mufflers.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852041

I'm really happy with the sound.....for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

To answer your original question, the inside is just a straight through resonator design with perforated walls and standard packing material. Nothing special or crazy about it.
Appreciate 0