ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Only if I had a charging space at work that I could use every day AND if it was a second car.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562935.00
      01-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #24
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Only if I had a charging space at work that I could use every day AND if it was a second car.
I would like my reserved parking spot to have a free dedicated EV Charger installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
It seems too restrictive to buy an EV if you can't charge at home.
      01-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #26
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

I've been playing with this idea in my head. I see some people who have Tesla's in Brooklyn. I wish I could send the car to go charge up and then come back and find parking on its own. That would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #27
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I've been playing with this idea in my head. I see some people who have Tesla's in Brooklyn. I wish I could send the car to go charge up and then come back and find parking on its own. That would be awesome!
Elon has an idea of the charging cable like a snake attaching itself to the car and the summon feature. This would be a software update for it to park itself after charging.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #28
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
This could work for an alternative to home charging also. After you park in your carport have the car go to a supercharger when it is available at night and then come back when it is charged and do the same at work. Home charging is still the best option though unless Tesla comes out with mobile charges that drive to your car though that service can't be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
This could work for an alternative to home charging also. After you park in your carport have the car go to a supercharger when it is available at night and then come back when it is charged and do the same at work. Home charging is still the best option though unless Tesla comes out with mobile charges that drive to your car though that service can't be cheap.
Maybe Elon should come out with a fast-battery swap station...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #30
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Yes those exist in theory not sure if they've been deployed in the wild. I'm assuming you are aware of him presenting a swap station but haven't heard anything about availability.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes those exist in theory not sure if they've been deployed in the wild. I'm assuming you are aware of him presenting a swap station but haven't heard anything about availability.
They had them for a couple of years in CA, but they charged you for the whole battery if you didn't return and get your original one, so they made a lot of people mad. They stopped it in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #32
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They had them for a couple of years in CA, but they charged you for the whole battery if you didn't return and get your original one, so they made a lot of people mad. They stopped it in 2016.
Yeah I stand by my claim that charging at home is the best option.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #33
Dan@AutoTalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

I live close by to a location that has multiple free charging station, 3-5 minute walk from my house. I would totally buy one even if I wasn't able to charge at home. I would just park it there and go home and mind my own business. Not everyone has the same circumstances as me though, haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #34
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@AutoTalent View Post
I live close by to a location that has multiple free charging station, 3-5 minute walk from my house. I would totally buy one even if I wasn't able to charge at home. I would just park it there and go home and mind my own business. Not everyone has the same circumstances as me though, haha.
Would be cool if the car would drive itself to and from the charger. If you leave it more than an hour not sure if you get in trouble or something. Or if they limit you to half hour when it is busy.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #35
Dan@AutoTalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Would be cool if the car would drive itself to and from the charger. If you leave it more than an hour not sure if you get in trouble or something. Or if they limit you to half hour when it is busy.
That would be phenomenal the day that does happen...

Haven't read the fine print yet but I've seen people park there for more than an hour that's for sure. Maybe when gas prices start going up to the ~5-6 dollar per gallon I'd reconsider. Enjoying the CA prices right now, which is not great, but better than before haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #36
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Who ever buys my house and wants 240V will need to do some serious rewiring. Everything is 110V. I planned it that way. That said, I would not own an EV only vehicle because the range is just not good enough for long trips and it is not feasible to have multiple vehicles. A hybrid would be feasible.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #37
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I'd question my life choices if I were considering an EV but lived somewhere where I weren't able to charge at home.

I mean, seriously, if you can afford an EV, you can afford a place to live with a power socket near the carport/garage.

... and if I lived somewhere with a power socket and a garage, but I were prohibited to use it due to some arbitrary rule set forth by my landlord or HOA; I'd proceed to ignore the rule until they kicked me out.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
Who ever buys my house and wants 240V will need to do some serious rewiring. Everything is 110V. I planned it that way. That said, I would not own an EV only vehicle because the range is just not good enough for long trips and it is not feasible to have multiple vehicles. A hybrid would be feasible.
I'm curious as to why that is. Can you elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I was joking about it. Yes I know Elon made a video of the apparatus. The implementation was quite humorous.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #40
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i daily drive an electric car. i wouldn't get it if i couldn't charge at home. home charging is about three times cheaper than public charging stations. its still not very much, but you lose a huge convenience factor.
      01-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #41
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
I'm curious as to why that is. Can you elaborate?
Just did not need 220V except in two places the AC and SPA. As such, there is a sub panel for those two needs right off the main service. Everywhere else via the main panel is 110V (stove and dryer are gas which cheaper and more efficient). The garage is detached and running 220V was not needed, ran a 110V 20amp instead. In hindsight I should have run 220 V to the garage with a sub panel. That would better support the infrared radiant heater and ski waxing iron which run 18 amp together.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #42
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
Just did not need 220V except in two places the AC and SPA. As such, there is a sub panel for those two needs right off the main service. Everywhere else via the main panel is 110V (stove and dryer are gas which cheaper and more efficient). The garage is detached and running 220V was not needed, ran a 110V 20amp instead. In hindsight I should have run 220 V to the garage with a sub panel. That would better support the infrared radiant heater and ski waxing iron which run 18 amp together.
I asked because 220V comes off from the transformer at the street and into the breaker panel. I think it is against code otherwise, so really in the breaker panel you have both busses live with 120 on each, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:27 AM   #43
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Would you buy an EV If you couldn't charge it at work for free? :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:14 AM   #44
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They are available in parts of the world, but not for Tesla's. Our electric trike for hire used one in Boracay.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0