ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
SwissArmy's Avatar
Canada
90
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW z4 3.0i SMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

For those who have Spyder headlights, please read

Hello!

Link to headlights

I am curious and wanting to buy a set of Spyder Halo HID headlights. I've been thinking about it for a year or so now. The only thing that is holding me back is the nagging question at the back of my head: "What happens if the halo ring burns out?"

I am looking for your advice. What kind of bulbs do these headlights use? Are replacement bulbs easy to attain? Method of replacing these bulbs (if possible)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
MYovichZ4's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I got the Spyder NON-HID set a couple of years ago, and the 'halo ring' is just an acrylic ring that is illuminated by a set of SMD leds (no bulbs). They are not the brightest, and I spliced mine in to the DRL so they are on 100% of the time.

So far no dimming or concerns with them, other then they aren't anywhere near as bright as 6000K H1 bulbs I put in.
__________________

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
StickMon's Avatar
United_States
615
Rep
3,124
Posts

Drives: 2006 MR
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lo-Cal

iTrader: (1)

This came up recently in another thread, but I can't find it.
It's possible that the "HID" Spyder lights are not actually HID.
They're "HID Ready" or some shiz.
__________________
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
SwissArmy's Avatar
Canada
90
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW z4 3.0i SMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYovichZ4 View Post
I got the Spyder NON-HID set a couple of years ago, and the 'halo ring' is just an acrylic ring that is illuminated by a set of SMD leds (no bulbs). They are not the brightest, and I spliced mine in to the DRL so they are on 100% of the time.

So far no dimming or concerns with them, other then they aren't anywhere near as bright as 6000K H1 bulbs I put in.
Thank you. What happens if these leds burn out? Can they be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
This came up recently in another thread, but I can't find it.
It's possible that the "HID" Spyder lights are not actually HID.
They're "HID Ready" or some shiz.
Ah okay. That clears that up. Thanks. I guess I should stick to my OEM ones. Maybe cut them open and black them out.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
MYovichZ4's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Thank you. What happens if these leds burn out? Can they be replaced?
If you're comfortable with a soldering iron and small components, you could replace them. Same applies if you are trying to change color.

UNFAIR EXAMPLE IMAGE BELOW
__________________

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
SwissArmy's Avatar
Canada
90
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW z4 3.0i SMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYovichZ4 View Post
If you're comfortable with a soldering iron and small components, you could replace them. Same applies if you are trying to change color.

UNFAIR EXAMPLE IMAGE BELOW
Hi! I think I'm talking about the CCFL rings. When those blow out, how can they be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
MYovichZ4's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Hi! I think I'm talking about the CCFL rings. When those blow out, how can they be replaced?
The Spyder headlights do not have CCFL rings. They are just plastic rings that with a LED light source.

In the photo below you can see the 'rings' are brightest at the bottom, because that is the light source. The rest of the ring's light is just from diffusion or edge lighting like with fiber optics.

__________________

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
SwissArmy's Avatar
Canada
90
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW z4 3.0i SMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYovichZ4 View Post
The Spyder headlights do not have CCFL rings. They are just plastic rings that with a LED light source.

In the photo below you can see the 'rings' are brightest at the bottom, because that is the light source. The rest of the ring's light is just from diffusion or edge lighting like with fiber optics.

Thank you SO much MYovichZ4. That is very insightful, and answered my question perfectly

Thank you everyone who posted in this thread. As always, your input and knowledge are gratefully appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
5
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
This came up recently in another thread, but I can't find it.
It's possible that the "HID" Spyder lights are not actually HID.
They're "HID Ready" or some shiz.
Correct, I bought these, and its standard halogen bulbs with no ballast.
Later this summer I will be looking to get aftermarket ballasts and bulbs.

As far as the spyder halos, they're Very dim. I'm sure if you were ambitious enough, you could wire up stronger LEDs, or do a powered ring replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
5
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Original:


New:
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Beedub
Major General
United Kingdom
283
Rep
5,188
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

think the original looked better.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 1
FD3S58.50

      02-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
Jumbosock
Captain
Jumbosock's Avatar
56
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: 2007 M coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Could it take double HID?
__________________

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
3GFX
Captain
3GFX's Avatar
Canada
565
Rep
749
Posts

Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Save up and search for a custom shop to do them. There are many places out their now that will do custom headlights that will be better quality (IMHO) than the spyder lights and will also maintain the original look and dimensions (which are better, again IMHO).

But save up $500-1000 to get decent work done. With the Spyders you're getting what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
SwissArmy's Avatar
Canada
90
Rep
654
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW z4 3.0i SMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Save up and search for a custom shop to do them. There are many places out their now that will do custom headlights that will be better quality (IMHO) than the spyder lights and will also maintain the original look and dimensions (which are better, again IMHO).

But save up $500-1000 to get decent work done. With the Spyders you're getting what you pay for.
Thanks guys. I'm going to avoid getting halos altogether. I will get a shop to cut my headlights apart, paint the insides black, and buff the lens.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #15
BoomerX
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: german
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Some spyder headlights really have CCFLs in them, but as far as I know, they cannot be replaced. The only way to get the things fixed is to warranty them. Of course, if the CCFL burns out within the warranty period which is 6 months, as far as I remember. If that happens later - nothing much you can do...
I know that for sure as I had Spyders with CCFLs on my F150 truck which I sold. I had them for 2 years, and sold teh truck with those lights in. Had no problems with them and used with an aftermarket HID kit I bought on ebay (10000K), looked sharp.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #16
jafxdwg
Private
5
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 08 3.0si Artic White with Red
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Whitby Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Thanks guys. I'm going to avoid getting halos altogether. I will get a shop to cut my headlights apart, paint the insides black, and buff the lens.
No Halos ?
Actually I'm with you on that.
Every new car seems to be competing for that Bad Boy look with halos, or parts of halos.
Zeds don't need that level of car make up to look good.
Black lights will look great on that new front bumper.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...3639&start=105

There is a bumper pic (similar) about half way down the page.


Cheers
jafxdwg

Last edited by jafxdwg; 02-17-2017 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #17
sitko1
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW Z4
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (0)

DRL how to keep them on

Hi,
I have a 2004 BMW Z4 2.5i, just bought it a week ago, so it's old but, new to me. The original headlights always had moisture in them so I bought a set of Spyder headlights with the halo.

My question is- How do turn on my DRL? I noticed during the daytime none of my lights are on. I have the selector switch set to Auto On.

I've read a few posts that mention changing codes?? Do I need a specific program and a laptop? I would hope something as simple as keeping your lights on during the day would be a simple fix.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:11 AM   #18
RossBMWZseries
Captain
United_States
150
Rep
924
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Juan TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
ďAuto onĒ will turn on your lights (OEM or aftermarket) automatically when the daylight is dimming down, so they wonít ALWAYS be on. I have aftermarket lights (‹mnitza, same spyder housing as yours) and in order for me to have my halos on, I have to manually turn my light switch to the right, just past the middle marker. Once itís dark enough, I switch back to the far left so HIDís and halos are ON automatically. If you want them to function as DRLís, you have to wire them a certain way, not sure how but itís really not that hard. My brother just got aftermarket lights in his truck. The shop that wired them has the DRLís come on automatically at all times when the key is in position 3.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
StickMon's Avatar
United_States
615
Rep
3,124
Posts

Drives: 2006 MR
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lo-Cal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitko1 View Post
Hi,
I have a 2004 BMW Z4 2.5i, just bought it a week ago, so it's old but, new to me. The original headlights always had moisture in them so I bought a set of Spyder headlights with the halo.

My question is- How do turn on my DRL? I noticed during the daytime none of my lights are on. I have the selector switch set to Auto On.

I've read a few posts that mention changing codes?? Do I need a specific program and a laptop? I would hope something as simple as keeping your lights on during the day would be a simple fix.

Thanks in advance for the help.
There's a rumor in another thread that you may be able to program them with the Carly app, but since they're not stock lights, it's anybody's guess.

I just switch my lights manually. "Parking lights" during the day, and headlights when I take my sunglasses off.
__________________
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:19 AM   #20
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
tiltmode43's Avatar
United_States
443
Rep
1,511
Posts

Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1nk50ck View Post
Original:


New:
Sorry to threadjack, but let's see more pics of the LB wide rears!
__________________
-Matt

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #21
knowthebattle
MMJ User
knowthebattle's Avatar
342
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Port Orange, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1nk50ck View Post
Correct, I bought these, and its standard halogen bulbs with no ballast.
Later this summer I will be looking to get aftermarket ballasts and bulbs.

As far as the spyder halos, they're Very dim. I'm sure if you were ambitious enough, you could wire up stronger LEDs, or do a powered ring replacement.
I wouldn't even bother honestly. I have LEDs in the high and low beams. My LED highs also act as my DRLs. No warning lights either. With those you can't even see the rings, plus as others have mentioned, they're getting old so I don't care.

Thinking of reworking the light above the high/low beams to make them DRL. I got some good LED bulbs in there so it's nice and bright. Then recode the DRL so it's off and just have the strip on while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #22
xchrisrod
New Member
3
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2004 Z4
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pacoima, California

iTrader: (0)

does anyone have a link for spyder headlights / headlamps i can't seem to find them anywhere i need the ones that are compatible with factory xenon
or can someone tell me how i can fixed one of my headlights it seems to have some cracks and water got into them when it rained and caused it to have moisture inside
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST