ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
New GruppeM Intake <$675 shipped

I debated whether to put this in the classified section, but I'm not selling this. I just wanted to let the community know about it. Because of the favorable exchange rate between the US and Australia, you can now purchase a GruppeM carbon fiber intake kit and have it shipped to your door including all fees, international shipping, etc for less than $675 USD.

I have no affiliation with the company. Just Google up "Australia GruppeM"

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
That's very cool find...thanks for the lead The only thing I don't like is the K&N oiled filter on that intake. I thought GruppeM used to use a Simota dry filter? Does anyone know if a dry replacement filter is available for that GruppeM?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Gotta luv Straya!

01-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Gotta luv Straya!
Absolutely. If they only had the CSLs for $1K USD.

I can't wait to hear the GruppeM. I'm too old to worry about a few extra horses, but I figure with the GruppeM I won't need hearing aids to hear the S54 roar

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
I figure with the GruppeM I won't need hearing aids to hear the S54 roar
I thought that's what RPI's were for?
      02-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
That's very cool find...thanks for the lead The only thing I don't like is the K&N oiled filter on that intake. I thought GruppeM used to use a Simota dry filter? Does anyone know if a dry replacement filter is available for that GruppeM?
XMetal,

I'm not sure if GruppeM switched to K&N filters later on, but Simota used to make a replica of the GruppeM intake. I've never seen one, but I saw it mentioned in a thread.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
XMetal,

I'm not sure if GruppeM switched to K&N filters later on, but Simota used to make a replica of the GruppeM intake. I've never seen one, but I saw it mentioned in a thread.

Salty
Thanks. Do you have the K&N filter part number that's used on the GruppeM? If I can find a dry filter replacement, I may get one - pending your review on it I hate oiled filters
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Do you have the K&N filter part number that's used on the GruppeM? If I can find a dry filter replacement, I may get one - pending your review on it I hate oiled filters
I couldn't find a part number, but I'll see what I can dig up. They sell replacements at Gruppe-M.

The intake has already arrived. It was ordered from Australia and shipped direct from Japan. It was here within a week. I'm impressed.

I'll write up a review. I made up a DIY on the installation. The included instructions are a bit confusing.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19325021

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Hey Salty,

Thanks for the find. I may take the plunge as well. Just to confirm, was the site you bought it from xposed.com.au?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I had the Simota system on my s50 z3mcoupe. I'm pretty sure it used a wet KN filter, but it was about 10 years ago. It looked and sounded awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #11
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milamookie View Post
Hey Salty,

Thanks for the find. I may take the plunge as well. Just to confirm, was the site you bought it from xposed.com.au?
It was. The intake shipped directly from Japan and arrived a week later. They must submit orders directly to Gruppe. The shipping will appear high, but it also gets adjusted down due to the Aussie exchange rate.

I put an install PDF in the DIY section. Some may put the large washer on top of the support bracket instead of under it like I did. I'm not sure which way is best or if makes any difference. I hope it is helpful.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #12
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From what I understand, it is a filter made by K&N specifically for Gruppe-M. It looks like they took a standard cone filter and added a smooth cone to the usual flat nose. Part number is: K&N Air Filter RF-3301A. They are available here:
http://www.xposed.com.au/k-n-air-filter-rf-3301a.html
That's in AUD $ instead of USD $.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #13
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
It was. The intake shipped directly from Japan and arrived a week later. They must submit orders directly to Gruppe. The shipping will appear high, but it also gets adjusted down due to the Aussie exchange rate.

I put an install PDF in the DIY section. Some may put the large washer on top of the support bracket instead of under it like I did. I'm not sure which way is best or if makes any difference. I hope it is helpful.

Salty
Great install write up by the way. I'll be needing it.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great install write up by the way. I'll be needing it.
Thanks, Milamookie. I'll post what will likely be a lousy video of the Gruppe-M sound if I can get the weather to cooperate. We've been having flash floods with all the rain.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #15
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Here is that lousy video I promised. I'm hand-holding an iPhone 6 against the steering while while trying to turn onto a road and shift. Still, with headphones, you get a rough idea of how it sounds. I need to get on a backcountry road to really show off the intake. It gets very loud and aggressive, but it takes a lot of throttle to get to the sweet spot. I keep running out of road around my house.

Need bassy headphones to get fairly accurate idea of how it sounds.
Lousy night time video of Gruppe-M intake sound under moderate throttle.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #16
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Nice! Are you running stock exhausts?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice! Are you running stock exhausts?
Thanks. I have a Stromung exhaust. Love all the pops and gurgles it makes when I come off the throttle quickly, and love how it sounds under heavy acceleration. I have a bit more drone than I would like around 2K-2500 RPM that I want to try to isolate. I'm hoping it can be reduced with new hangers, and that there may be an issue with the installation that is easily addressed.

Salty
Appreciate 0