ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
jean_martin.roux
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 M - F31 328D - i01 REX

WTB - Full exhaust (headers-back)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a complete exhaust upgrade for a North American spec E86M.

Preference are for a full euro conversion or supersprint systems.

Open to other recommendations.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
What are your goals? My 2c, don't replace everything. The stock section 1 and x-pipe are fine to keep. For sound, the best bang for your buck is to just replace the mufflers. For performance, headers and tune only. This is really only useful if you track it. A 3.91 or 4.10 final drive is a higher priority than exhaust mods for performance imo. My current setup is status gruppe cat less headers, stock section 1, stock xpipe, supersprint powerloop mufflers. 3.91 final drive. epic tune.

Last edited by filtercoffee; 08-01-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
jean_martin.roux
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 M - F31 328D - i01 REX

filtercoffee Thanks for your reply! Performance priority 1, sound 2.

I got an opportunity on a csl carbon airbox from a local part-out that I couldn't pass on. I'm looking to properly complete that set-up and will definitely consider your recommendation. i.e., (airbox, headers, alpha N tune)

I din't consider the diff before, I'm new-ish to this platform (e86m) and would love to learn more about your recommendation's potential.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Got it. Getting the exhaust note just right on this platform has been tricky for a lot of our users. Usually the problem is that when changing mufflers, if you have other mods such as headers, the exhaust is likely to be loud or droney in some frequency. For example, even with the mildest muffler upgrade, this user found it too loud:
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730146
Another muffler idea:
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729848

As for the diff, it can be especially useful if you track the car. Stock is a 3.62 ratio, you can go to 3.91 or 4.10. The shorter ratio diff helps you gain acceleration at the cost of top speed, more frequent shifting, and higher highway cruising rpm. E.g. for a given gear and vehicle speed, your RPM will be 10% higher with a 3.91 diff. So you're both at a higher RPM where the S54 makes more power, and the engine has a 10% mechanical advantage due to the gear ratio. There are other changes you can make to the diff by replacing the stock M-Variable viscous-type with other LSD technologies, but the advantages and disadvantages are beyond my expertise.

Last edited by filtercoffee; 08-03-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtercoffee View Post
What are your goals? My 2c, don't replace everything. The stock section 1 and x-pipe are fine to keep. For sound, the best bang for your buck is to just replace the mufflers. For performance, headers and tune only. This is really only useful if you track it. A 3.91 or 4.10 final drive is a higher priority than exhaust mods for performance imo. My current setup is status gruppe cat less headers, stock section 1, stock xpipe, supersprint powerloop mufflers. 3.91 final drive. epic tune.
Your setup seems pretty tasteful, how do you like the overall experience? Mine is pretty similar, albeit with a DFK section 1 with 300cell cats, and I still have the SS X-Pipe, but I am seriously looking at the final drive ratio change. I really think the close ratios of the 6speed with a shorter final drive would make the car a complete joy and riot to drive on curvey roads!

Last edited by maupineda; 08-03-2020 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
So I'm fairly new to modding, this car is my first experience, and for almost every mod what I've learned is that there's a tangible downside. In the case of the diff, the upside seems to be the car is more aggressive to accelerate/decelerate and it is ADDICTING. Especially combined with the mufflers that sing between 3k-5k rpm. When I say addicting, I mean it. I'm constantly egged on to accelerate from 3k-5k and when I have to do a 30 mile highway drive, it is joyous and tiresome. The exhaust + diff + intake means it's very hard to just chill for 30 miles. Which means my gas mileage is not great, and driving my car takes energy. Hopefully we can meet up some time and we can compare each other's setups!

Another diff downside - high RPMs on the highway. Again, I do 30 mile highway drives fairly often and it would be nice to have the car chill more at higher speeds.

Another thing is that my mufflers drone at 1.5-2k, which makes me avoid that RPM somewhat. Remus/OEM did not do this. Remus I think was louder at the highest RPMs, making it more fun for tunnels.

BUT all downsides aside, the fun character of the car makes it unique to me. When I went to the remus, I noticed the excitement went down, so I reverted. It's definitely a process to figure out what works for you.
Appreciate 2