ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #23
Shigg614
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post
I have a Grom. Good cheap solutrion, but *lots* of audoble hissing. I will try the Blue Bus when available - looks promising.
Yes this seems like the best route. I am continuing to try various bluetooth solutions in the meantime. Will be installing this unit tomorrow and reporting back tomorrow https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A...53.m2749.l2649
      07-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #24
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 & E90 335i 6MT MSport

Recently got the Grom BT3 kit that comes with a microphone. My car has DSP and I know because the amplifier which sits behind the battery has a coax cable. I got the DSP adapter and hooked up the GROM to the 3 pins and coax cable and my music worked. I then installed the microphone and did a test call. No buzzing or whirring on my end so I can vouch for GROM. Although quite expensive it does give the benefit of using the steering wheel controls to control music and calls. To connect the microphone I fished it through the left subwoofer small space to the back of the trunk and connected it to the GROM. Tucked it inside the center console so no cables stick out and planted the microphone on the steering next to the OEM mic.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      07-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #25
Shigg614
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

BlueBus is officially taking pre-orders!

More info from email:

* Pre-Order Sales End: 2020-07-28
* Orders (boards and cases) are sent to manufacture: Week of 2020-07-29
* Orders arrive from manufacture (60 day manufacture lead time): Week of 2020-10-02
* Units are programmed & shipments begin: Week of 2020-10-02

If you order in the next 24 hours you apparently get 20 bucks off too.
      07-22-2020, 01:50 AM   #26
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Ordered my BlueBus tonight. Will chuck the TCU altogether and use it for phone call interface as well. Anxious for it to arrive but it's gonna be a while. That's ok.

ECS has actually bought units for stock (or ordered them at least, not available yet). Already listed on their site though. He also sold a bunch to EAG already.
      07-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #27
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Ordered mine, too. Ted must have a Rapid Response Team. Yesterday, he answered a few questions I had, on the same day he started taking pre-orders. Impressive!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #28
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
Ordered mine, too. Ted must have a Rapid Response Team. Yesterday, he answered a few questions I had, on the same day he started taking pre-orders. Impressive!!
Same for me. Also responded to a late-night email when I had a Eureka moment about trying to hook up with EAG (Ted is in Cincy too), he replied within about 5 minutes that he'd already sold 22 units to them. Awesome. I really love supporting a guy like this and really look forward to using his product.
      07-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #29
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
The BlueBus looks like a great system. I may go ahead and place an order. For those who've installed the Gloms and other units, how difficult is it to get to the pre-wired harness for the 6 disc CD changer? What I've found so far is mixed as to whether or not you have to remove the rear console to get to the wires or if everything is accessible from the trunk.
      07-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #30
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
The BlueBus looks like a great system. I may go ahead and place an order. For those who've installed the Gloms and other units, how difficult is it to get to the pre-wired harness for the 6 disc CD changer? What I've found so far is mixed as to whether or not you have to remove the rear console to get to the wires or if everything is accessible from the trunk.
It wasn’t easy but I was able to access the cable from the trunk eventually - it was really buried in there.

For the record, I had absolutely no issues with my GROM bt3 - hissing or otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #31
pyshin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97c2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLannister View Post
I received the Anker SoundSync A3352 and it is an amazing product.

It fits perfectly, is small enough to clear the center console and looks really good. The sound quality from the music streaming is great as is the sound quality from the hands free calling. The mic is adequate but it may be better than I think it is as I took some calls with the top down

I recommend this product immensely.
Thanks for the recommendation; was going to get get Tunai Firefly but wanted hands-free calling and the Anker works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #32
aten
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 BMW Z4 3.0i

+1 for the Tunai Firefly.

I was working with Grom Audio support and turns out my Z4 didn't have the CD Changer enabled and would have to get coded at a dealer or shop. So decided to try out Tunai and it works great.

I had the ash try aux but ended up relocating the aux input and added usb power source to the glove box (keeping the ash try door open was unsightly, imo).

The USB power tapped into fuse #47 (radio). This means the bluetooth turns on and off with the radio which allows it connect automatically when you get in the car. (the cigarette lighter power is always hot, annoyingly...)

To clean it up I 3d printed something to house the aux and USB port that follows the odd interior profile of the glove box. Any bluetooth dongle with aux would work in my setup. I just like the size of the tunai.

If anyones interested in getting the CAD files dm me. IMO its a cheaper and simpler alternative to the GROM (if you have a 3d printer..), which I'm sure is good but $200 vs $40...especially if your install requires extra work from the nominal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
pyshin110.50
wdb4673.00
      10-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #33
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by aten View Post
I had the ash try aux but ended up relocating the aux input and added usb power source to the glove box (keeping the ash try door open was unsightly, imo).
Very nice solution! I love the clean look. And I'm jealous of the fact that it turns off with the ignition! I just have mine plugged into the factory aux in under the dash above the lighter socket. So I see the wires, and of course I have to unplug it if I don't want a dead battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #34
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was working with Grom Audio support and turns out my Z4 didn't have the CD Changer enabled and would have to get coded at a dealer or shop.\
Whoever told you any coding would be necessary was either yanking your chain, or just didn't know what they were talking about. No coding required to add any of the various solutions out there that use CD changer emulation. I have firsthand experience with this with my first Z4MC several years ago.
      10-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #35
aten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Whoever told you any coding would be necessary was either yanking your chain, or just didn't know what they were talking about. No coding required to add any of the various solutions out there that use CD changer emulation. I have firsthand experience with this with my first Z4MC several years ago.

i was (am) skeptical of that too... after days dealing with groms tech support and suggesting i buy another adapter then that i would need coding i was generally over it.

However, i did find other forum members who had the same coding issue. For models that came prepared for cd changer and but didn’t actually get one installed from factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #36
t3ddftw
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
i was (am) skeptical of that too... after days dealing with groms tech support and suggesting i buy another adapter then that i would need coding i was generally over it.

However, i did find other forum members who had the same coding issue. For models that came prepared for cd changer and but didn’t actually get one installed from factory.
That's absolutely bull. The I-Bus CD Changer protocol is such that the radio "asks" for the CD Changer when the electronics kick on. If the CD Changer responds, the radio adds it as an input on the head unit. I have Business CD radio out of a 2008 for testing, and it behaves this way.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:46 AM   #37
aten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
That's absolutely bull. The I-Bus CD Changer protocol is such that the radio "asks" for the CD Changer when the electronics kick on. If the CD Changer responds, the radio adds it as an input on the head unit. I have Business CD radio out of a 2008 for testing, and it behaves this way.
Welp. I’ve must of been bamboozled by groms tech support haha. All good. Basically the same result for much cheaper. I wonder what was wrong with my setup though cuz I tried to connect it every which way without any success.

The usual story of getting track information from the grom device onto the head unit but not getting any audio.
Appreciate 0