ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

I'll be starting down the soft top troubleshooting road today. *le sigh*
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #24
dragonfire6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i w/Premium Pkg

I'm currently looking at a car with top issues. The current owner states the top unlatches and locks when pressing the button but the top will not move on its own (even though it is making noise) and the light blinks red. From searching, this seems like the motor is low on fluid.

I consider myself pretty handy and feel I could replace the motor if need be but I was wondering if someone could tell me the price and part # of the left and right side actuators that have been discussed in this thread? If the motor is low on fluid, it seems like one or both of these could be the culprit.

Thank you,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Careful. What you are describing sounds just like what other folks have reported when the power top motor has failed altogether. IE, it unlatches, makes the usual sounds but does not open / close.

I think Shipkiller may have a DIY for this on his site to install a new motor. Its not a cheap part, sadly. For price haggling with the car's current owner, call a local BMW dealer and get a quote on having a new top motor supplied and installed, and deduct that from the asking price.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #26
dragonfire6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i w/Premium Pkg

Yes, I have asked to have the cost + labor deducted ($800-1000) if he will not have the issued addressed before purchase. He said his mechanic says the top is low on fluid but I can't trust that 100%.

Is it possible to see the top motor without removing the top? I haven't seen the car in person yet.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #27
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire6 View Post
Yes, I have asked to have the cost + labor deducted ($800-1000) if he will not have the issued addressed before purchase. He said his mechanic says the top is low on fluid but I can't trust that 100%.

Is it possible to see the top motor without removing the top? I haven't seen the car in person yet.

-Chris
I've had my car 5 years and I've never been able to see the top motor; its way down there inside.

I'd be pretty darn wary of trusting somebody else's so-called mechanic. Can you get him to take the car (or iideally, let you take it to) to a local BMW dealer for an objective and reliable diagnosis? Perhaps schedule a test drive and have alerted the dealer beforehand that you might stop by for a quick assessment?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #28
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The only way to check the hydraulic fluid level is to remove the top from the car.

Look at the picture above in Tribes post. You can see the motor sitting in the ChickFil A cup. The whiteish top is the hydraulic fluid reservoir and if you look very closely, you can see the fluid level through the plastic.
With the top out of the car, you can really see what might be wrong and be able to troubleshoot the system. If the reservoir is LOW, then you have a leak somewhere and you figure out where FIRST... 9 time out of 10, its the entire motor assembly....and not a leak..

If you want to see what is involved in removing the top and replacing the motor, then PM me your email address and I will send my procedures to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #29
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

I'm with Shipkiller on the motor being at fault. If you look back in this thread you'll see a photo of my rusted out motor. Bought the replacement for under $400 and did the job myself in 5 hours. The instruction and photos from Shipkiller were a godsend.
Either hydraulic leak or motor failure the top has to come out.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #30
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I haven't attempted mine yet... probably in spring.. ill have to gather all the parts over winter break.. I might as well put in the convertible kit too
      10-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #31
tribe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster

I have almost 1L of Bilstein hydraulic fluid (opened, I only used a little), free for anyone who wants to pickup in Charlotte, NC area.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #32
spatera
Registered
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4

Shipkiller, I need to attack my roof this weekend and would really like to see your write up with pics. Is there any way you can send them to me. I've read your post but no pics. spatera1@gmail.com

Thank you, Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #33
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, but you will have to wait until tonight.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #34
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In the air...........
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #35
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatera View Post
Shipkiller, I need to attack my roof this weekend and would really like to see your write up with pics. Is there any way you can send them to me. I've read your post but no pics. spatera1@gmail.com

Thank you, Steve
They're available here in PDF. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=130986&page=6
      07-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #36
quicksilver88
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and new BMW owner. This is my first BMW (have traditionally been a VAG guy) so I'm looking forward to learning some new stuff.

I have a 2004 Z4 3.0i and the power top seems to have failed on me this Sunday. I was searching the forums for articles on diagnosing the issue and saw lots on the failed/corroded top motor, the hinges, and the microclips, but have not really seen anything in terms of figuring out what the issue is before I start to tackle it.

My Car's Symptoms:

-Currently Stuck in the closed position
-If I press the button to open, and orange light comes on the button
-There is no noise from the motor or noise of any kind, and the windows do not lower
-If i press the close button (that usually lights up red even if it is closed) no light comes on, no noise from the motor, no movement

Anyone have an idea of what it is or advice on what it could be? Or can anyone point me to a link or article on what a good starting point would be in diagnosing the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #37
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Is the "tea tray" in the trunk in the down position?
That's what the orange light usually means.
There's a micro-switch in the slot in the rear bulkhead that a pin on the tray rides in and hits when it's down.

Name:  101_0053-1.JPG
Views: 1707
Size:  171.7 KB

(Credit to WAMz4 for the conveniently marked photo)

Last edited by StickMon; 07-07-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #38
quicksilver88
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check that when I get home from work tonight.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #39
schobyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster; 2012 Cayenne

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
I had a very similar situation last week, top was fully closed, when I pressed open and close buttons all I heard was the locking latches lock/unlock; the motor never ran or made noise and the top did not move. The battery had died on me and I discovered the top issue after charging the battery. After checking the micro switch and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, I realized the windows needed reset and after I did that the top began working. To reset the windows, put them up all the way, then continue holding the up button for 5-10 seconds then the auto up/down should work.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #40
quicksilver88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schobyb View Post
I had a very similar situation last week, top was fully closed, when I pressed open and close buttons all I heard was the locking latches lock/unlock; the motor never ran or made noise and the top did not move. The battery had died on me and I discovered the top issue after charging the battery. After checking the micro switch and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, I realized the windows needed reset and after I did that the top began working. To reset the windows, put them up all the way, then continue holding the up button for 5-10 seconds then the auto up/down should work.
Awesome thanks man I'll try that tonight too. Stuck at work still (finance slave lol )
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #41
quicksilver88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Is the "tea tray" in the trunk in the down position?
That's what the orange light usually means.
There's a micro-switch in the slot in the rear bulkhead that a pin on the tray rides in and hits when it's down.

Attachment 1240391

(Credit to WAMz4 for the conveniently marked photo)
StickMon that was exactly it, easy fix haha. Pretty silly thing to ask a question for but first softtop/BMW *shrug*.

Thanks again bro
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #42
AFriendIndeed
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 converible

I've been searching the problem we're having with our Z4 & everything seems related to the motor that moves the roof, but I can't find anything about the motor that moves the latches. We open & close the top manually but the latch to lock it closed isn't moving the latch. We can hear it, but it's not locking the top down. It was suggested it may "the cable"?! But I can't find anything about it. Help?!
I'm new here... ya'll seem very friendly & knowledgable. Thank you in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #43
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I found my Z4 3.0si in June with an inoperable softtop.

Told the dealer it could cost $20 or $400 to fix, they went ahead in their own and decided to fix it. I think that is why the previous owner got rid of it.

I actually saw the little motor, the terribly designed drain holes and the top completely disassembled.

After two weeks of them not getting it to work, I asked them to take it to a BMW dealer who subsequently completely took it apart.

There may have been something in the hydraulic lines, and the new softtop motor is a self-bleeding component, but when I picked it up it was working.

That was my BMW softtop experience as of early June 2015 when I found my car and took delivery in early July.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #44
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFriendIndeed View Post
... about the motor that moves the latches. We open & close the top manually but the latch to lock it closed isn't moving the latch. ...
There's a little panel in the center front of the top that looks like a sunglass drawer.
I'm pretty sure that's where the lock motor is.
I hear there's a hex socket in there to manually lock/unlock the top using an Allen wrench that comes with the BMW standard tool kit.
Pop that cover off and see if parts fall out.
I've never looked in there, so I can't say how much access it gives you.