ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
218dhb
Head in Th Sky!
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Roadster

Audiophile tip for anyone who uses the AUX in for an ipod..

i am not claiming to be an expert at this in any way but i do have another weird hobby being in Highend headphone listening (don't laugh cause its bigger then you may expect). in the Headphone hobby as you may think lots of people use ipods as their main source for portable music along with a LOD and separate headphone amp then on to custom IEM's and what not..

the main point i want to bring to your attention on the Z4 forum is the ipod LOD, LOD stand for Line Out Dock. The LOD comes in a few different styles by lots of different companies who cater to the HighEnd headphone market.
basicly all you want and need to know is by outputting your music from your ipod threw a LOD you will get a zillion times better sound quality then if you would go from the headphone output on the ipod cause you are bypassing the internal headphone amp in the ipod which is a quality killer in itself.
on the Z4 there is no use for using the headphone output on the ipod cause all you are doing is adding in another preamp and amp to your stock preamp and amp...makes no sense, where is going from the Line out directly uses no Preamp (volume) or amp from the ipod itself...

does this make sense?

you can get really stupid in prices of LOD's but mind you these are marketed for a dedicated high end Headphone setup and really offer nothing in added sound quality for Z4 use. I would suggest going with a very cheap and basic type of LOD that has just a female 1/8 jack on the end (so you can hook up your own cable with the needed length you want).

in my portable Headphone rig I use a Turbo Line out dock. its made by a forum user named Turbo and costs me at the Time $27. you can make your own LOD if you want, just search google for ipod line out DIY or something.
you can also buy these simple LOD's from a variety of places and companies who again market them for the Hi-FI headphone market. i can point you to lots of them or you can search Head-fi (hi-fi headphone forum) for lots of them.

for anything with the Iphone you will need a LOD that has a wire connecting pins 1 and 11 together i think for the line out to work, i can find out more if you want...

Of course this may all seem really Alien to some of you but the internal DAC on the ipod is pretty good if not really Good, the issue is the head amp inside is crap (thats why the need for a LOD is a must!). even using a simple 128 itunes download you will hear a huge difference in your stock Z4 aux in by avoiding the headphone out and using the Lineout from your ipod...which is the point of my post here...

any questions you have i should be able to answer or point you in the rite direction
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The holy grail is a dock port adapter that supplies a port for line out as well as a dock/usb port so you can charge at the same time. Only one company makes such a thing (can't find the link right now) and it doesn't work with the iPhone3G (even though they list it as being compatible with all iPhones). Until such an adapter exists I will continue to blow my speakers out with EDGE interference via the headphone jack on shear principle.
      03-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
The holy grail is a dock port adapter that supplies a port for line out as well as a dock/usb port so you can charge at the same time. Only one company makes such a thing (can't find the link right now) and it doesn't work with the iPhone3G (even though they list it as being compatible with all iPhones). Until such an adapter exists I will continue to blow my speakers out with EDGE interference via the headphone jack on shear principle.
Jragan, I have found said Holy Grail, albiet in a round about way. I am going to post a full thread about it soon.

The first gen iPhone came with a dock that had a 3.5mm line out and the standard 30-pin iPod connector. For my 3g iPhone, I bought a male to female 30-pin iPod cable extension, which I run from the phone to the dock. This gives line out and USB power, all from plugging in 1 cable to the bottom of phone.
Appreciate 0