ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Having Trouble Hardwiring Dash Cam

This is actually for my 135i but hoping some knowledgeable Z4 owners can help me out. I purchased an ITRONICS ITB-100HD camera with an "Uninterrupted Power Cable". The UPC is basically a hardwire kit that lets you record even when the car is off but ensuring it won't deplete the battery. Here's an image of the install guide (can magnify image).

The install seems to be fairly simple. I attached the ground to the same spot as where my V1 is using (metal screw in glovebox). Then it's just a matter of tapping into an accessory fuse and constant 12v. I bought 2 "Add-a-fuses" for each wire. For the accessory fuse, I tapped slot 5 which was empty and for constant 12v I used slot 56. The UPC box lights up telling me it's getting power. However, the camera itself won't power up the following day UNLESS I pull out either fuse 56. If I pull out the fuse and plug it back in, THEN the camera powers up. Also even if I had chose the wrong constant 12v, I would think the camera still powers up off the accessory fuse when the car is on but it doesn't power up then neither.

I also plugged the camera directly into the cigarette lighter and it works fine so it's not the camera. It's either the UPC or me choosing the wrong fuse. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? It's almost as if BMW fuses shut off after an extended period of time or something

Here's a picture of the 135i fuse box and diagram:
Attached Images

Last edited by 3002 tii; 05-11-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

I had the same Issue with a different camera. I figured the camera was poor quality. The wires I used where the dome light always on 12v and ground.

The camera would shut off while driving as if there were no power going into it?

what caused me to abandon the project was reading on a forum that the camera has a habit of catching on fire.

Enough for me to stay away. In general it seems these cameras appear to be in their developing stages. But the camera I used was a 30 dollar knock off. yours should be MUCH higher quality.

Id say keep the camera on the acc fuse for a while drivng to rule out its your camera.
      05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

If camera works, try a different 12v source. It may be that the LED on the UPC has enough power to light but your camera does not.

Do you have a voltmeter? This will make your life much easier. ~$25
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
If camera works, try a different 12v source. It may be that the LED on the UPC has enough power to light but your camera does not.

Do you have a voltmeter? This will make your life much easier. ~$25

So I realized what's going on or at least have a better sense.

The camera shutting off after a certain period of time is not random. It turns off after 12/24/36/48 hours - basically whatever pin setting I have the UPC on. So that tells me basically the camera gets power from the constant 12v and will stay on for whatever # of hours I have it set on. But it will shut off because it never actually gets power from the accessory fuse whenever the car is on.

I then went ahead to test if that fuse was good and the fuse doesn't seem to be the problem. I plugged my radar in the accessory fuse and the radar detector powered up fine. So I've concluded it must be a bad connection between my accessory wire on UPC to the fuse box. I'm going to try to get this resolved over the weekend.