ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
SilentNight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Dead Battery in 2006 Z4 M Roadster...need help

my car battery is dead in my 2006 Z4 M Roadster. I have tried and tried to get to the battery but I am unable to do so without breaking parts in the trunk. I am at this point, beyond frustrated. Can anyone tell me hoe to get to the car battery? I know where it is but I cannot snap open the compartment to get to it. I have never, NEVER seen a car battery this hard to get to. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, BMW is asking for $175 for a new battery for the M Roadster. Anyone have suggestions of a good after market battery that is less expensive and works the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

have you tried charging it? the charge posts are under the hood if you didn't know...
      04-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
have you tried charging it? the charge posts are under the hood if you didn't know...
I charged it twice. The battery is completely dead. It was my fault. I didn't put a battery tender on and the car has been stored for 5 months. I charged it a month ago and it charged then it sat for another month while I was in Florida, got home and it is dead again and nothing will get it started so the battery must be completely done in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
I charged it twice. The battery is completely dead. It was my fault. I didn't put a battery tender on and the car has been stored for 5 months. I charged it a month ago and it charged then it sat for another month while I was in Florida, got home and it is dead again and nothing will get it started so the battery must be completely done in it.
sucks sorry to hear.

so are you having problems getting them compartment open or the battery out?
      04-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
sucks sorry to hear.

so are you having problems getting them compartment open or the battery out?
I can't get the compartment open. I have taken out the mat in the trunk and the tools on top of where the battery I believe is located. I cannot get the top cover off for the life of me. I've already started to tear the fabric so I don't want to continue doing that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Quote:
I can't get the compartment open. I have taken out the mat in the trunk and the tools on top of where the battery I believe is located. I cannot get the top cover off for the life of me. I've already started to tear the fabric so I don't want to continue doing that.
There are 3 or 4 plastic looking screws around the bottom of the battery cover. You have to unscrew them a little and then you can pull them out. That will release the battery cover. Aftermarket batteries are in ghrt $125+ range so if BMW will put in an OEM battery for $175 it may be worth your money to give you peace of mind knowing it's done right with good parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

As mentioned above, you just need to remove the plastic fasteners, and the cover will come off without an effort. If you are using force, pulling or tearing the fabric, you are doing something wrong. You know where the battery is, right? Maybe you are looking at the wrong spot?
      04-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Mat & tools?

You have an M right?
The battery is that lump in the back right corner, under the shelf where the vert top folds down.

Take off the canister & all the extra bits on top of the battery.
Then feel on top of the plastic for a couple of nuts that need to be unbolted.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

^+1

it takes all of 10 seconds to get to the battery. Removal of the battery takes another couple of minutes after removing the canister/tools cover. Remove rear anchor stud bolt, then loosen the post bolts, another bolt on positive cable and it slides to the back and out
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You have a couple of options other than OEM:

1)Just replaced the battery on my 2006 Z4M roadster with an Interstate MTP-48/H6. Direct fit, no worries, and I got it for $125.00 which I beleive is a discounted price from about $165 suggested retail. Has 770 CCA vs the 760 on the OEM battery.

2)http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...=Z4&vi=1433288

Option #2 is an exact match to the OEM unit with another name on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Hughbert
Guilty as Charged
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Mat & tools?

You have an M right?
The battery is that lump in the back right corner, under the shelf where the vert top folds down.

Right - three nuts. Then remove the anchor - long rod with shoe at the bottom of the battery. Pos and Neg terminal connections, disconnect vent tube at top back of battery, then the battery slides forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
SilentNight
Private
Rep

thanks for all the comments. I'm going to go out to the garage right now and take a look. It is an M for those curious. I just couldn't imagine it would be this difficult. I will look for the screws to undo.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
SilentNight
Private
Rep

just checked...on the plastic piece there is nothing to unscrew. I felt along the top of the plastic piece and there is nothing that come undone. Can someone tell me exactly where these screws/nuts are? There is nothing that a philips head or ANY screw driver will fit into for that matter on this thing or any other tool. It cannot be this difficult.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Mat & tools?

You have an M right?

in this pic...where exactly are these nuts? I ran my hand along the top of the plastic piece after removing the other parts and nothing...and if you are referring to those small nuts on the side that are shown in this picture, mine will snap off and break if I try it. I put a screwdriver underneath one of them and it started to contort and look like it was ready to snap off.

Little things like this are why I now have a 2011 Volvo S60 instead of the 335i or 535i as my primary driver. This is just annoying as all hell.

Last edited by SilentNight; 04-08-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

^yes, those plastic things should pop right off. Twist the flat head screwdriver underneath them if they're giving you trouble. Even if they break, they're like a few dollars for 10 at Lowes/Home Depot.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Hughbert
Guilty as Charged
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
in this pic...where exactly are these nuts? I ran my hand along the top of the plastic piece after removing the other parts and nothing...and if you are referring to those small nuts on the side that are shown in this picture, mine will snap off and break if I try it. I put a screwdriver underneath one of them and it started to contort and look like it was ready to snap off.

Little things like this are why I now have a 2011 Volvo S60 instead of the 335i or 535i as my primary driver. This is just annoying as all hell.

After you remove the air pump and fix a flat cannister from the top of the battery cover feel around in the recesses where they came out of for 3 nuts - I think they are 10 or 11 mm.

If the top is up you should be able to raise the plastic tray to give you more room above the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Little things like this are why I now have a 2011 Volvo S60 instead of the 335i or 535i as my primary driver. This is just annoying as all hell.[/QUOTE]

?? This is an EASY job. First, make sure the Soft Top storage compartment is in the "up" position. There are three nuts on TOP of the Battery housing. I believe they're 10mm. They're hard to see, and recessed a little. Feel around, you will find them. Then there are only a couple little plastic pop rivets on the side, in the carpeted part. Just use a screwdriver to gently barely get center pin started out, then switch to a small needle nose pliers. They'll pop right out. Even if you DO snap one, they're like 12 cents apiece.

If it wasn't a 6-7 hour drive, I'd come out and change your battery for you in about 30 seconds.

If you think THIS simple job is "annoying as all hell", then you're going to find some other simple maintenance a serious P-I-T-A!! Enjoy your Volvo. When the battery goes up on THAT, be sure to post about how simple it is to reprogram the electronics in the car to match the new battery, and about Volvo's annoying little habit the windows have of not working at all when you change it. That will be LOADS of fun!

Last edited by vicj; 04-08-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I am certainly of the opinion people should know their limitations. It sounds to me like SilentNight needs to find a good indie BMW shop and let them his servicing/repairs. It isn't worth the aggravation I am reading in his posts.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

both the M coupe and M roadster have the battery in the front right of the trunk? didn't know this...
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I am certainly of the opinion people should know their limitations. It sounds to me like SilentNight needs to find a good indie BMW shop and let them his servicing/repairs. It isn't worth the aggravation I am reading in his posts.

you are correct sir. I will try again and pop those plastic caps off. Thanks again for all the advice. I am sure I look like a 100% idiot but I've never changed a battery in a car myself as I have never had a battery go bad in a car before. Beings the battery is 100% dead, I can't jump it and drive it to the nearest BMW shop (which is 50 minutes away) so I must do this myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

so did you find the the 3 10mm nuts located where the tools go? first one is right behind the canister holder(tool bag) and the other two are located where the pump is.
if you still cant get it give me your email and I will take a pic for you as mine is currently off

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
so did you find the the 3 10mm nuts located where the tools go? first one is right behind the canister holder(tool bag) and the other two are located where the pump is.
if you still cant get it give me your email and I will take a pic for you as mine is currently off
I just got them off and undid the positive and negative. Now the next challenge, how to undo the vent tube. I don't know how to do it and I am wrenching at it to get it undone so I gave up for now. Any advice on how to disconnect this tube? Once I have that disconnected I am guessing I will be able to get the battery out.

I literally have the entire trunk torn out to get to this battery.
Appreciate 0