ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
setthedog
Rep
Drives: Z4 2006 e85/n52

Help from other BST victims

I posted for help over at bimmerforums as well so sorry if you're getting this twice...

I had a BST unit come loose on me while away from home, and not knowing what it was, or being able to order and wait, had to take it to a dealer.

Turns out this was a good move as the tech told me the part had been tampered with - which was obvious from the pliers marks all over it. I believe the dealer I bought it from (different) put it back together with a new fuse (the one in the BST), some glue, and no explosive cap.

So question: on the breakaway prongs holding the wire tube ends with the powder cap inside, has anyone noticed a superglue residue - a shiny series of spots on the breakaway prongs? Because I believe the dealer I bought the car from did this to save themselves the expense of installing a new one.

It so happens I have a CPO - and the BST is part of the airbag array. Suspiciously, my airbag light only started working after the new one was put in. On my CPO checklist it says everything is fine, with the airbag array but clearly this was not the case... It's also criminally negligent; possibly worse since it appears they did it on purpose.

The offenders are BMW of Humboldt Bay.

I'm trying to see if anyone else kept their old BST - anyone who has a defunct one: could you check for glue residue along the breakaway prongs where the wiring tube is held together? On mine it's obvious, but it took me having a cup of coffee this morning while looking at it to realize *what exactly* I was looking at - and what it meant. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
sorry for the obvious but what is a BST?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
setthedog
Rep
Drives: Z4 2006 e85/n52

Battery safety terminal.
Appreciate 0