ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #1
e86nut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

BMW Z4MC: Tire Dilemma

Currently running a set of 3-ish year old RE71Rs (stock sizes) on my Z4M and I am sick of them (roads around seattle are not forgiving). Just ordered som DWS06s for off-track driving but now I'm trying to figure out the best semi-affordable track options I have - I'm not trying to buy Michelin SS if I don't have to.

I'll probably run the old RE-71Rs until they're really gone but that's probably sooner than later. Would love to get any feedback from any other Z4M owners who track their cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
07ImolaRot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M, 05 M3, 13 M3

Michelin PS4S is the best. close second is continentals extreme contact sport, the version 2 was recently released and available on tirerack. They aren't that much cheaper than the Michelins so its probably better to go with the Michelins. If you want any decent savings compared to Michelins with great performance then Yokahama advan apex is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:26 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Here's my 2 cents. When I replaced my track prepped N52 coupe w/ my current M roaster, I tried the PSS one tire for all route. Obviously great for street, and if you had just enough camber it did fine on track. And it was nice not having to switch but that's where the benefit really stopped. Take out convenience, track days weren't as fun b/c I could never push the car more than 7/10ths. I knew I wasn't going to set PRs but at same time, felt like a waste of a track day.

After that, I bought dedicated set of track tires (again). I used the PSS as my first/last events of the season to shake off the rust or when the temps would dip pretty low. If you're putting down some fast times, I would just fork up for NT01's. They're not the fastest but they last all season, tried and true and somewhat cost friendly. Sure there's cheaper 200tw tires but none of those really last - they may still show decent tread depth but I find they heat cycle pretty quickly.
      03-21-2023, 04:00 AM   #4
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Getting a dedicated set of track tires is definitely the best way to go. Without the sizes you're looking for it will be tough to make an exact recommendation. But you'll get the longest life out of something like the Hankook RS4, Nitro NT01 and Continental Extreme Contact Force.

Tire Rack did a pretty big review last year: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=302
      03-21-2023, 12:49 PM   #5
e86nut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
Getting a dedicated set of track tires is definitely the best way to go. Without the sizes you're looking for it will be tough to make an exact recommendation. But you'll get the longest life out of something like the Hankook RS4, Nitro NT01 and Continental Extreme Contact Force.

Tire Rack did a pretty big review last year: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=302
I have my old stock wheels which would be my dedicated track set (so stock sizing).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 03:55 AM   #6
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Looks like Tire Rack is currently running a promotion on the RE-71RS that makes them the cheapest option in stock sizes. I would go for that but only put them on for track days. Then let your other tires eat up the regular mileage.