ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
Mr. Monday
Rep
Drives: Z4C 3.0si 6mt

Question e86 3.0si Magnaflow muffler drones, recommendations?

I purchased my 3.0si coupe 6 months ago and I've been really happy with everything about it apart from the exhaust. The previous owner installed a Magnaflow muffler and it doesn't sound good to me. It drones a lot on the highway and the sound isn't very crisp. I've had comments from passengers saying it sounds like a dying bumblebee and I agree. Also, the pops and crackles are more muted than I would like, it sounds like its farting or like it's pushing air rather than crisp pops and crackles. My friend who has an N52 e92 recommended that I remove the resonators and modify the stock muffler (which I have in storage) by cutting the baffles and piping it thru. I found a video with that modification and it sounds good with much crisper pops and crackles and less drone but he doesn't say that he removed the resonators. However, I'm hesitant to reinstall the stock muffler because it's so heavy. What do you guys recommend?

video:
https://youtu.be/Exio6QkJJPg?t=297

my exhaust:
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr. Monday; 06-23-2020 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

I put a High flow Flowmaster cat and muffler, and really like the sound. It is a bit aggressive, but not as bad as the fart can it replaced. Here it is at idle in the drivers seat.

Appreciate 0