ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2023, 12:55 AM   #1
g59tyler
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

BMW Z4 3.0si Catless/Open Headers (N52)

Wanted to start a forum to document my experience and install of headers on my N52 Z4.. I'll keep this updated mostly if my car explodes, the headers crack, or if any changes in exhaust work is done.

I settled with AA/Roundel Werke "clone" "replica" headers from yours truly- aliexpress.. They were 355$ total shipped and surprisingly arrived in like a week and a half. The weld quality LOOKs good, metal felt like there was more to be desired.. With that being said I installed them with a buddy on the weekend, it took us 10 hours- however, I did pretty much 80% of the work he mostly helped align the new headers and small things like that. Below I am going to attach a picture of the headers, it came with gaskets and new hardware for the midpipe. And alike the AA/Roundel Werke headers one of the flanges on either the midpipe or headers will need to be cut and turned 45 degrees and rewelded - this is due to the fact that the Z4s headers/midpipe is different than the 1/3 series..

I will also be attaching a sound/video clip currently my exhaust is straight through- and merges into a 2.5in single back out to two 3in tips. Its very, very loud and 2-3k has the worst "honda civic at 3am" drone imaginable. It will be getting redone as soon as I can find a place that is willing to redo it with 3in and Ill be adding some resonators..

(Regarding the install above, I want to say I am very much a novice at wrench turning, and probably would do more work myself if my Z wasnt my daily driver)

Sorry for the longwinded title - wanted to makesure I could throw in a bunch of keywords so if other people are looking for something like this they could find it as I havent found too recent of post regarding N52 headers specifically on the Z4.

Feel free to ask any questions and if I sound stupid anywhere in here feel free to correct me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/F-pw3YUkJ6M

Name:  BD026EDF-EF52-4D7D-804B-AA1B5920DAF5.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5675.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5677.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  183.0 KB
Appreciate 4
      06-19-2023, 01:49 AM   #2
g59tyler
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

A short update on the headers + tune now..
Headers so far have held up fine and have turned a nice blue from the heat. Only issue I’ve had so far was blowing thru the cheap Chinese header-midpipe gasket. Put OE gasket in and she rips. Here’s a sound clip (but this clip is with the exhaust leak- no new vids however the difference as noticeable on video)

One thing to note is I have a drone around 2500-3000rpm that I’m working on deadening without just slapping a muffler on or killing the rest of the high end scream..

Also it’s tuned my 22rpd- my experience with them so far has been alright. I don’t know if I notice a difference low end but high end as soon as it hits 5000rpm I can feel it just want to keep screaming and revving out.
https://youtu.be/WLPK0K8-_Po
Appreciate 1