ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2023, 11:47 AM   #23
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
The way I see it,...Tesla tech is cool. Yeah, you get a lot. But when I look inside Teslas, I don't see a lot of "Tech",...I see "Minimalistic" environment of which I've yet come to terms with desiring to spend so much money,...yet appear to get so little. Sure, Tesla has a head start over other manufacturers (...Elon's gamble paid off). Yet, I'd much have an i4 over a Tesla,...especially after having driven a Model 3 and i4 M50i. The Tesla conveyed 'grocery getter environment',...the i4 M50i conveyed 'Fighter Pilot Cockpit'!

Either way, after attending the recent DC Auto Show,...I checked out the BEV offerings and I must say there are some models worth a second look. Say what you will, IMO, Tesla's styling won't make me do the "look back" as I walk away from my vehicle. Anyway,...GL with your search.
      03-09-2023, 06:54 PM   #24
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Tesla is under investigation for the steering wheels coming off in the Y models.

So along with all the other issues I would never buy one.

There are better alternatives in my opinion if you want a EV.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 12:56 AM   #25
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
OP, you already know the answer posting on this forum. There's a large population of folks here who are anti-Tesla. I suggest doing the research, driving both cars, and take it from there.
+1... while you're at it OP, go ahead and try out the IX or another EV manufacturer altogether. My brother has the model Y and he's had problems with it since he got it. He's actually looking to trade up and has an IX on order.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 03:20 PM   #26
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

i recommend the Kia AWD GT Line for the driver comfort and driving part.

not sure about the rest of the car or how it will hold up. the old Ioniq holds up pretty well tho it's a sister brand
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 04:57 PM   #27
SteezeforMyBimmerMon
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M2, '22 Subaru Outback

Just my opinion, but I'd stay with the BMW. Proven. Also, your steering wheel won't fall off.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:08 PM   #28
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Teslas are freakin amazing. Do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 01:02 PM   #29
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
As others have said, there is a LOT of variables in this question that you’ll want to sort out or share with the group to help us illuminate the darkness more. Obviously, this is a BMW forum so expect a tilt toward BMW.

I am not a fan of Tesla myself, but it is mainly due to the way they treat their customers and then you have the lack of quality for the price points. Elon Musk is a hard no for me too as I’d probably be avoiding a Tesla until he’s out. But my concerns are likely not your concerns…

You can cross shop the iX from BMW as well as the EQ line from MB. Both of those are great luxury options (with MB tilted toward comfort which I’d probably lean toward in an SUV since they aren’t really sporty anyway). If you’re willing to go less luxury there are some really interesting options on the table from a host of manufacturers now… Including Chevy *gasp*.

Tesla is looking like they’re running out of uniqueness which is draining them of their gas (pun intended).
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 01:20 PM   #30
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

OP's never come back. It's a bit of a troll post. Not sure he / she actually needs or ever needed help.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:16 PM   #31
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
OP's never come back. It's a bit of a troll post. Not sure he / she actually needs or ever needed help.
Quote:
Last Activity: 01-29-2023 08:30 PM
Sounds reasonable; his last activity was two days after the original post.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 02:31 PM   #32
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Not sure I understand why people keep stating that they have to “turn” to see how fast they’re going. Your eyeballs shift slightly to the right instead of looking down at your speedo. And you can use voice commands to control a lot of things. Using Autopilot to stay in your Lane while you fidget may be inherently safer than trying to use controls and looking away fr the road on your typical non-tech.

The GV was on my list as was the Mach-E but went with Tesla in the end because I don’t have an EV prejudice.
I don't look down at my speedo. It is on my headup display right in front of my eyes on the windshield. I see the speed limit, my speed, whether the ACC is set, if it is the set distance selected, and driving directions from the navigator. I also have buttons for everything I might want to do while driving like changing the radio station, volume, seat adjustments, etc. And I do use voice commands.

Some folks like driving a smart phone; I like to drive a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 11:22 PM   #33
Slack Beries
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M60i, BMW X4 M40i

In January my wife went from an X4 m40i to a Model 3 Performance so I can probably help a bit.

In Tesla’s favor:
The electric drivetrain is actually pretty good for spirited driving. You can dance around nearly anything due to the instant power delivery. However relaxed driving can be annoying because even with the regenerative braking turned all the way down there is a constant drag that requires attention to maintain a constant speed. I don’t have any complaints about the suspension.

Forward and side visibility is far superior to the X4.

Charging is quick enough that away-from-home charges can often be just 10-20 min.

If you are eligible for the tax credit this thing is less than nearly anything you’ll cross shop. It’s also cheap to fuel and insure.

The infotainment UI usability is the better than any other touchscreen in the market. The features are intuitively organized and logically labeled. I can’t complain about everything being control through the touchscreen since my daily uses iDrive 8.

Against Tesla:
Its new car smell is awful. They don’t use real leather. It’s been over two months and it’s practically as bad as day one.

In interior build materials are econobox quality.

It’s not a vehicle for tall people and it’s even worse in the second row. 6’2” folks will be uncomfortable in the front.

The advertised range is comically optimistic. The closest we’ve probably got to the advertised 315 mile range is 240. Real highway speeds kill the range.

There’s no heads up display and, worse yet, there’s no driver screen. You have to look at the center screen to check your speed.

There’s no CarPlay or Android Auto. However the Tesla nav is fine.

It’s not a luxury car as it has no luxury amenities. I get the temptation to compare it to luxury cars as it used to be priced like one.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 11:52 PM   #34
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I would never buy a Tesla. It's an appliance and they all have the same boring colors. You will be like 10000 on the road.

Hard pass but do you
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #35
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I would never buy a car where I have to look sideways to see the speed I am going.

I am assuming you are looking for a small SUV based on the X3 replacement. I would suggest looking at the Ioniq 5 or Kia EV. If you want real power (Several references in here to the Plaid) go can checkout the new Kia EV6 GT. If you want both power and luxury, and you live in a state where Genesis is selling EVs, look at the GV60 Performance (small SUV, 483 HP, Nappa seating, ultrasuede headliner, etc.) or the newly released GV70.
Appreciate 0