ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Cullier
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 M convertible

Hard acceleration loss of power??

Looking for some thoughts. Just purchased a 2007 m convertible yesterday. Today I have noticed that during WOT acceleration in 1-3 it seems around 5000rpm it triggers the fuel cut off jerking you forward fairly violently. I have also experienced the same thing with dsc off. Any ideas? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I would take to dealer asap. Could be a vanos issue..
      01-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Any warning lights? The ECU has several protective mechanisms in place to protect the engine (link). I would not beat on it at all until the cause is diagnosed and repaired, and if fact would avoid driving it other than to get looked at and drive it gently to get it there.

Hopefully the car is still under warranty or CPO'd. Did you buy this from a BMW dealer, private party, or other type of dealer?

If you had a PPI done, I'd sure give those guys a piece of my mind too--they should have caught this. If this was from a BMW dealer then too.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Cullier
Registered
Rep

No lights on inst. cluster are on saying anything is wrong. maint. is scheduled oil change in 4500 miles. It is still under factory warranty so I am going to take to the dealer as no matter what the issue is it should be covered. I actually dove over 50 miles today in regular driving conditions with no issues prrior to my first time getting on it hard. Still like ideas so I am not limited to what the dealer tells me. I actually did not have a ppi done. It was purchased from a Nissan dealer. I spoke with the local BMW dealer about doing a ppi, and what would be included. They told me about air preassue checks brake pad wear etc. Not exactly what I had in mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Is the oil up to temperature? are the orange/yellow (sorry, I'm colorblind) lights in the tach off?
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Cullier
Registered
Rep

Yes, it was up to temperature (was last 2 miles of 35 mile drive.) when I decided to get on it for first time.

The lights have not ever gone off but moved from 6k orange when cold to 7.5k orange 8k red when warm. In assumed that was normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Yes, that's normal. The rest is not.

If you have the choice of several dealers I'd recommend researching a bit before picking one. There are tremendous differences dealer to dealer in tech competence, dealership attitude, and how they approach warranty repairs and issues in general. Even small things like headlight washer caps get different answers depending on the dealership (and, to a degree based on the owner's approach).

When it comes to dealing with the S54 engine you really want a very experienced very competent group working on the car (some would say never go near a dealer). This is not a simple run of the mill engine and "any old tech" ain't gonna cut the mustard. Search the site regarding "camshaft bolts" (or "engine mount bolts" or "Vanos Noise") and you'll see the service/results vary widely.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

I take it you use top tier gas. You might want to run a bottle of injector cleaner in a tank of gas and check your air filter. Just a thought as you never really know what the previous owner did.
      01-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Cullier
Registered
Rep

Took to dealer and it was in transport mode. Thanks for all the ideas.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Excellent news!

Hopefully you're out having fun now!
Appreciate 0