ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
MakoBimmer1
Booyakasha!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Coupe'

Garage List
imom, join http://www.northamericanmotoring.com and ask your Mini questions there. Its a great forum with lots of info!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #24
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Thanks Mako...I did read some things on there...but I wanted to ask in this forum because coming from Z4 and M owners...they have a better perspective of what to expect with the MCS.

evoq007, thanks for the input as well.

The M suspension is pretty F-ing hard ride for a stock car. You guys are telling me that the MCS or JCW suspension is harder than the M?

And the road noise is louder than than my Z4MR cabin noise?

ShakyDog...thanks for the suggestion but I really don't like the 3series. I am not in love with the BMW name...I'm agnostic really...but the M/Z4 platform is very good platform and fun car to drive. I never thought about owning one or driving it until a friend bought his and then it was all she wrote. The only thing I don't like about the M is the transmission...(and the hard suspsension), so I think the E89 is a better fit for me. So I'm waiting for DCT model to come down on price. I am considering the 135 lease at $469 right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Have you considered picking up a used pre-facelift 3.0i? You should be able to pick up a very nice one for $15k, and a higher-mileage Z4 for $10k.

My '03 has had no reliability issues to speak of, and it's got 110k miles. The only "failures" were: side dimming mirror leaked, a wheel cracked, and a small window issue that I had fixed at an indy shop for $75. Other than that - control arm bushings, belts, tires, fluids, and gas. The shifting is much easier and it's got 90% of the looks of the M. Gas mileage is great.

Minis can be quick and put down excellent autocross times, but there is no cure for FWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Pokey,
I had a Z4 3.0SI before that...if i Had to do it again, I think would have been happy with the 3.0SI vs M and gone with KW coilovers. In stock form, the SI is about 80% of the M. I rather go with newer than older. I would be happy with the sdrive 3.0 in E89, if it didnt' cost more than my car now. I don't want to go with an older than few years old right now.

I spoke to a former coworker friend and he has a MCS and I'm gonna check out his ride...I'll post my findings. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #27
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Sounds like your mind is already made up on the MCS. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're willing to accept the caveats that come with the MCS too. The suspension is very still with the JCW, thanks to the short wheel base it crashes into potholes, and launches off of bumps on the road. Very fun car to drive, not much more cargo space than your Z4MC but you can USE the space much better/easier. Personally I'd go with an e46 zhp for more cargo room---for a similar price as the MCS, pay less insurance, but more on gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
I really like the JCW, they are fun and reliable. I don't think you can go wrong with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

We have a couple of Mini Cooper S cars in the family. Very different from the M coupe, but great fun to drive and practical at the same time.
While they lack the untamed raw feel of the M they are awesome little monsters for the following reasons in my opinion:

1- A very fun track car. They are glued to the track and more forgiving than the M coupe.
2- A well behaved commuter car. Much easier to drive in LA traffic.
3- Great gas mileage. My aunt is averaging 32mpg and here commute is 70% in town / 30% FWY
4- You can fit a ton of stuff inside the Mini considering its size. Great for Costco.

My knowledge is limited since I do not own one myself, but I have spent a great deal of driving my family members Cooper S cars and they a blast. The Mini Cooper S is a daily commuter with a motorsport soul.
      11-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #30
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I'm an original owner of my S and have over 200000 miles on it still with original clutch engine runs and purres like new best car I've owned and never been in the dealer for an issue its been bullet proof since new. Also my mini is traded and autocrossed often. And yes in my opinion better than any Toyota
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #31
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank -c- for the info.

My old friends Diokaef and Crfine. Thanks for the input as well. BTW for others that missed it...I have the roadster, so the MCS does have more room for me. My mind isn't set on the MCS yet...I'm going to check out a friend's JCW this week...that will help me. The $469/mnth no money down for a 135i with DCT is appealing. I have to see.

I love the M... but Crfine's bullet points are exactly why I've been thinking about getting a MCS. So my three options are 1. keep the M 2. Get MCS 3. Get 135i.

Thank you for everyone's generous inputs...it's very much appreciated it.

-side note... Crfine...holy crap with you Mcoupe mods...if I lived in AZ, I'd love to check out your ride. The last mod I think you miss is the carbon body. Can't imagine with all your mods and to add carbon body...you (anyone) wouldn't want any other car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #32
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

I drove a MCS JCW package today... I wasn't too impressed...I didn't like the FWD feeling of it.. I drove over a little bump and the car was jumping all over the place. It's an interesting little car...it didn't handle or feel the same as the M...but that is to be expected. I really dig the keyless entry. I had my friend sit in the passenger seat and I had to do was to push the start button and off I went. The clutch is soft vs. the M. I guess I shouldn't compare the two cars and they are two different leagues. I did like the transmission...it was like butter, no issues as all...I think a racing clutch to give more of a quick grab on the MCS would be nice.

I think my next step is to look at the 135i with DCT and test drive that. I just wanted to share my feedback for everyone that contributed to this thread.
Appreciate 0