ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Airbag light & removing seat Q

I always removed my seat without the battery connect to avoid the airbag light.

Basically I want to remove the seat to clean the carpets (bissel steam cleaner) & leather itself. Since its winter, it'll take some time to dry.. if I drive around without the seat on, will it trigger some airbag light issue that I can' t disable once I put the seat back in ?

Thanks in advance
      12-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
I always removed my seat without the battery connect to avoid the airbag light.

Basically I want to remove the seat to clean the carpets (bissel steam cleaner) & leather itself. Since its winter, it'll take some time to dry.. if I drive around without the seat on, will it trigger some airbag light issue that I can' t disable once I put the seat back in ?

Thanks in advance
Yes. you will trigger airbag light and they will stay on.

If you have coder, you can easily turn them off.

I don't know whether if you turn off the airbag on the passenger side before you take out the seat, it'll still trigger though.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

thanks.. coder as in usb cable with the software ? I guess worse case Ill ask my dealer tech friend.. they should know how to use tis and all that junk for coding right.. lol
      12-21-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

some cheaper readers are airbag capable. but yeah, you remove seat with batt disconnect, if you reconnect the batt without the sensor plugged in youll get the airbag light.. no biggie really, just both airbags will deploy even if there is no one sitting in the seat..
      06-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
some cheaper readers are airbag capable. but yeah, you remove seat with batt disconnect, if you reconnect the batt without the sensor plugged in youll get the airbag light.. no biggie really, just both airbags will deploy even if there is no one sitting in the seat..
I know this is older, but I thought that no airbags will deploy if the error light is on.
I will be cleaning my zed soon but I'll disconnect the battery as advised when removing the seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
mtaylorgb
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i AT

I recently purchased the Foxwell NT510 Elite with the BMW package. It was on sale for $129.00. I chose it after reading all the FB and other forums talking about code readers.

I recently had the dreaded dash airbag light come on. The NT510 allowed me to find all the codes in memory and clear out what must have been old ones from when the battery needed replacing. That left the dreaded SBSR passenger side code. In my case, 98F6.

Using the 'live' feature, I was able to get my wife to sit in and out of the passenger seat and watch the code flip from Unassigned to Occupied and the console light (not dash) airbag light come on and off. So that ruled out the passenger seat occupancy wiring issue and a $200 DIY repair.

After reading more online, I disengaged the Battery Safety Terminal on the battery and cleaned the connectors with a can of electronic contact spray cleaner. Those I couldn't open, I sprayed, too, thinking it might seep in. I then reconnected the BST and the battery.

When I turned the car to On the dash airbag red light still came on. However, I ran the Foxwell scan, found the fault again, used the Clear feature, and it has no re-appeared.

I'll drive it for a few days to see if it stays off, but it appears $129 and the FB Z4 forums, this site, and others, may have saved the day.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I disconnected the battery when I swapped out the seats in my 3.0si and still got codes when I hooked it back up. Cleared them with my handheld gizmo, good to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Because of the convertible top, its easier to open it to get the seat out.. I bought the nt530 since 2019.. I'm taking the seats out to redye.. haven't gotten there yet.. working on exterior