ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
SlikM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM/Blk M Coupe

Thoughts on purchse

Was offered a 2008 Z4M Coupe for $13k (apparent trade-in offer). California car for it's entire life with current owner being second owner (since 2010).
  • 2008 Spave Grey Metallic/Black Nappa/Carbon Leather
  • Nav, power and heated seats.
  • Maintained when needed
  • Windshield needs replacement
  • Driver door armrest is cracked

One accident on carfax (front fender replaced).

Otherwise drives and looks solid. Probably need more information to make a sound decision but all i have for now.

Any thoughts welcomed
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

The price seems very fair as long as you earmark some money to bring it to spec, some of which you've already mentioned. Just expect there to be more needs than you see on the surface.
I'd question your intentions for the car, long-term keep and drive? Keep for only a year then sell on? Reason being the mileage coupled with the dirty carfax are going to make it a very tough sell. Many buyers won't want to touch it at any price.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
SlikM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
The price seems very fair as long as you earmark some money to bring it to spec, some of which you've already mentioned. Just expect there to be more needs than you see on the surface.
I'd question your intentions for the car, long-term keep and drive? Keep for only a year then sell on? Reason being the mileage coupled with the dirty carfax are going to make it a very tough sell. Many buyers won't want to touch it at any price.
Thank you. Yes that was my thought as well. I had hoped it was less than $10k at which point I have been happy regardless of future intent. At this point, i know there is work needed and the planning for unknown as well. It would certainly not be my only car and be used perhaps 50-75 miles every week.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikM View Post
  • Maintained when needed
My thoughts largely hinge upon this. How was the car used and cared for, what is the state of it mechanically; engine, transmission, clutch, suspension, etc. My friend built a Z4MC track car out of a running (salvage title damaged) non-driving vehicle purchased for $8K. Certainly a car you can get in and drive deserves more $$ but hard to pinpoint an exact amount.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Only 64 Space Gray coupes produced worldwide, 48 of which for NA. So there's that.

I'd still have reservations at that price. Bring it "up to spec" and you still have a 180k-mile car, with 180k-mile EVERYTHING. By the time you sort it all out, you're into it for as much as lower-mileage, nicer-in-the-first-place car would have cost.
      02-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
SlikM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Only 64 Space Gray coupes produced worldwide, 48 of which for NA. So there's that.

I'd still have reservations at that price. Bring it "up to spec" and you still have a 180k-mile car, with 180k-mile EVERYTHING. By the time you sort it all out, you're into it for as much as lower-mileage, nicer-in-the-first-place car would have cost.
Thank you all for your feedback. Agree and with the eventual cost anticipated I opted to pass.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Agreed -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikM View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. Agree and with the eventual cost anticipated I opted to pass.
So tempting to move forward, but KevinC's comments are spot-on....after you invest $10,000 + - you still have a 180,000 mile car.