ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 & E90 335i 6MT MSport

Tire Rubbing on one side only

Hi,

Got Bridgestone Pole Positions on the rear. Meaty tires. The left side rubs when going on bumps while the right side is fine. I can fit 1.5 fingers on the right while the left is almost a finger. Should I get an alignment or replace the shocks? The right side rides a bit higher than the left.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Check your springs. They are notorious for breaking.

Shocks do not affect ride height, only rebound.
Springs set ride height.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Check your springs. They are notorious for breaking.

Shocks do not affect ride height, only rebound.
Springs set ride height.

Well, you were dam right about that. Since the pep boys mechanic over tightened my lug nuts I jacked the car up and saw that the left spring was cracked/split near the bottom. No wonder the sag. What would be the part number for the springs? Realm does not have one listed. I have the M-Sport Suspension since the spring has 3 stripes of blue paint. I have found Lesjofors 4208484 which seem to be compatible. I double-checked on euro parts and rockauto but just want to make sure before I order em.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamics99 View Post
. Since the pep boys mechanic over tightened my lug nuts I jacked the car up and saw that the left spring was cracked/split near the bottom.
I vowed never to go back to a Pep Boys after my first and only experience 23 years ago with them.

My Jr year taking auto tech 1, we just went over that week about using impact guns rotating/changing wheels/tires. Always start by hand NOT just putting lug nut in impact gun socket going to town to ensure no cross threading and do final tq checks with a tq wrench.

I needed new tires, took my '90 cav to them for all 4 tires. 1st indication something was wrong 2 wheels had overly long valve stems 2 wheels had extremely too short for the wheel valve stems. The week after, I go to do my own brakes. Go to loosen lugs before lifting car and "snap" broken lug stud. The oh**** moment is hitting as the second lug to loosen "snaps". My dad takes it back to them and they not only over tq by impact gun they also cross threaded EVERY lug nut when they used the gun never using a tq wrench. Every lug stud snapped and had to be replaced.

Their response to it all "Oh it's normal and happens a lot"

Every time I pass by a Pep Boys that comes instantly back to mind.

Now when I need new tires my car will be on the spare set of wheels snow/summer so I can get which ever I need simply by taking the wheels into my tire shop to have new tires mounted and toss the wheels back in the jeep to bring home and mount them to the car myself. I found out some tire shops won't mount/dismount wheels if you have spacers so I got into this practice a long time ago for this reason. If on the happens stance I take the car in to have new tires put on rather than just bringing the wheels to them I simply ask if they can use the torque wrench instead of the impact gun and they're always more than happy to as I sit and wait for it.

I couldn't imagine how furious I'd be now if anyone were to cross thread a lug bolt when tightening a wheel on any of our cars that use lug bolts instead of stud/nut.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
I vowed never to go back to a Pep Boys after my first and only experience 23 years ago with them.

My Jr year taking auto tech 1, we just went over that week about using impact guns rotating/changing wheels/tires. Always start by hand NOT just putting lug nut in impact gun socket going to town to ensure no cross threading and do final tq checks with a tq wrench.

I needed new tires, took my '90 cav to them for all 4 tires. 1st indication something was wrong 2 wheels had overly long valve stems 2 wheels had extremely too short for the wheel valve stems. The week after, I go to do my own brakes. Go to loosen lugs before lifting car and "snap" broken lug stud. The oh**** moment is hitting as the second lug to loosen "snaps". My dad takes it back to them and they not only over tq by impact gun they also cross threaded EVERY lug nut when they used the gun never using a tq wrench. Every lug stud snapped and had to be replaced.

Their response to it all "Oh it's normal and happens a lot"

Every time I pass by a Pep Boys that comes instantly back to mind.

Now when I need new tires my car will be on the spare set of wheels snow/summer so I can get which ever I need simply by taking the wheels into my tire shop to have new tires mounted and toss the wheels back in the jeep to bring home and mount them to the car myself. I found out some tire shops won't mount/dismount wheels if you have spacers so I got into this practice a long time ago for this reason. If on the happens stance I take the car in to have new tires put on rather than just bringing the wheels to them I simply ask if they can use the torque wrench instead of the impact gun and they're always more than happy to as I sit and wait for it.

I couldn't imagine how furious I'd be now if anyone were to cross thread a lug bolt when tightening a wheel on any of our cars that use lug bolts instead of stud/nut.
Oh man. This is the first time out of all the others. It must be the mechanic that did mine. They are usually torqued down because I stand there and watch but this time I did not due to pandemic measures. I tried loosening the lug nuts but it snapped off my 3/8 to 1/2 inch drive converter. Like how the hell do I get these loose?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #6
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamics99 View Post
Oh man. This is the first time out of all the others. It must be the mechanic that did mine. They are usually torqued down because I stand there and watch but this time I did not due to pandemic measures. I tried loosening the lug nuts but it snapped off my 3/8 to 1/2 inch drive converter. Like how the hell do I get these loose?
Just use a 1/2" impact to break them loose.

20V cordless impact guns are incredibly handy and not expensive today.

I use a DeWalt DCF899 with 1200 nut-busting ft-lbs of torque. Never found a nut it won't budge. If you are taking wheels on and off with maintenance, it makes it so easy. You won't regret the investment.

As others have said, never take your car to one of those places, just take the wheels off and save yourself the pain.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter

Last edited by ANILE8; 08-26-2021 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Just use a 1/2" impact to break them loose.

20V cordless impact guns are incredibly handy and not expensive today.

I use a DeWalt DCF899 with 700 nut-busting ft-lbs of torque. Never found a nut it won't budge. If you are taking wheels on and off with maintenance, it makes it so easy. You won't regret the investment.

As others have said, never take your car to one of those places, just take the wheels off and save yourself the pain.
I have a Milwaukee M18 with 1400 lbs of nut-busting that cannot even loosen the bolt. I have ordered the springs for now. When they arrive I shall bust that nut.
Appreciate 0