ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-10-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Solid Monoball Bushings Front & Back

While the diff was out getting some 4.10 gears, the perfect time was now to do a solid bushing upgrade.!

Got all the parts from TMS and they are very high quality, very impressed.

The job is made MUCH easier with a good quality bearing pulling set and propane torch I strongly recommend you have access to these tools before starting.

As all the parts were installed at the same time it is impossible to tell how much of a difference each part made individually but the overall driving improvement is substantial from stock OEM rubber bushings. Although TMS cautions the use of these parts for track use only, I have not noticed any added NVH after install. Everything in the handling department feels so much tighter and even more immediate that I think it was well worth the upgrade for me. Even at mild street driving speeds, I can notice a huge difference.

Anyone else notice a similar improvement from this upgrade?

Started with the Rear Subframe using solid alloy bushings.

Next, I installed the Monoball Rear Control Arm Upper Inner Bushings.

Proceeding with the Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTAB).

Finally, the Monoball Front Control Arm Bushings (FCAB).

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 2
Vanne1593.00
      07-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I do not have the monoball bushings, but I do have the powerflex bushings practically everywhere, yea this thing handles like crazy now. Before I was kinda drifting and everything felt lose....

Now...I feel cracks in the road...

Do you get road feedback like I do? Sometimes the slightest groove in the road can pull the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:55 AM   #3
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

For me, I first noticed that the response consistency was greatly improved over OEM rubber bushings.

While I was doing this upgrade I also installed a new coilover setup at the same time complete with monoball front camber plates and monoball RSM so the overall sensation of perceived improvement maybe somewhat amplified again over what would otherwise be the case.

In my situation, when I say I did not notice any added NVH, I mean any added NVH that was wildly objectionable to me. Others, owners may find things different.

I am still playing with my coilover's rebound and bump settings to fine tune things and I find this makes a huge difference to how the car reacts with respect to road feel as you can adjust things from unbearably stiff and only track driveable to road compliant and very liveable.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

How's the steering feedback with losing some caster from the centered front monoballs? Stock is offset...I like the idea of these for track duty but steering is so perfect on the Z.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #5
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I have not noticed any performance loss in going to a centralized bearing vs OEM offset. I always thought the offset bearing advantage here was strange and subjective.

If there is one, I am more than willing to trade that gain for zero deflection under extreme load, improved braking response and no mid-corner alignment changes.
Appreciate 1
Vanne1593.00
      07-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
I have not noticed any performance loss in going to a centralized bearing vs OEM offset. I always thought the offset bearing advantage here was strange and subjective.

If there is one, I am more than willing to trade that gain for zero deflection under extreme load, improved braking response and no mid-corner alignment changes.
Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

somehow missed this thread.. nice to see the difference is night and day.
exellent work!