ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Manxman1950
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M roadster

Garage List
OK, so you were right....

Several of you have commented on my trimmed-down front licence plate when we have met on “cruises”, or TedFest last year, the general opinion being it would only be a matter of time before I fell foul of the local constabulary.
Well this week you were proved right, after 2.5 years thanks to Officer Attoe, who by his own admission had nothing better to do, but who at the same time clearly felt my offence ranked only slightly below that of Jack the Ripper and wrote me a ticket for $110.....
Oh well, time for some new plates. Any recommendations on how best to attach them? I used magnets on my Lotus Elise, but maybe I’ll just have to bite the bullet and drill the front bumper😱
At least I had the slight satisfaction of extending to PC Attoe my hope that he would be able to find something more useful to do during the remainder of his shift.
2006 Z4M roadster. Interlagos Blue, black extended leather with carbon trim. Apex EC7 8.5/9.5 x 18 rims, Strong Strut brace, KW V3s with RE rear shock mounts, Vibra Tech and Rogue engine/transmission mounts, Stromung exhaust, CDV delete.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
That sux but good to know.

Don't drill the bumper, you'll regret it.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 3
      11-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I used the skene setup for the front with rare earth magnets and some double sided tape for reassurance. Easy to pop off and on as needed. But honestly, I have been driving for about 5 years without a front plate and no issues. *knock on wood*.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxman1950 View Post
Several of you have commented on my trimmed-down front licence plate when we have met on “cruises”, or TedFest last year, the general opinion being it would only be a matter of time before I fell foul of the local constabulary.
Well this week you were proved right, after 2.5 years thanks to Officer Attoe, who by his own admission had nothing better to do, but who at the same time clearly felt my offence ranked only slightly below that of Jack the Ripper and wrote me a ticket for $110.....
Oh well, time for some new plates. Any recommendations on how best to attach them? I used magnets on my Lotus Elise, but maybe I’ll just have to bite the bullet and drill the front bumper😱
At least I had the slight satisfaction of extending to PC Attoe my hope that he would be able to find something more useful to do during the remainder of his shift.
The plates are the property of the Province, so you can't damage or deface them. Altering or obscuring them is also an offence. $110 is cheap, if he wanted to make an example of you he could have seized the plates and towed your car and arrested you. So I get the sense you think he was hard on you given your comment about the offence being slightly less than Jack the Ripper, you got off easy my friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
I used the skene setup for the front with rare earth magnets and some double sided tape for reassurance. Easy to pop off and on as needed. But honestly, I have been driving for about 5 years without a front plate and no issues. *knock on wood*.
You've been lucky, the province issues you with two license plates for a reason, that being that they decided that you are required to display two licence plates. The funny thing is that if some copper with "nothing better to do" as the OP said, he may take a long hard look at you and your car.....you'd be surprised at what other violations he or she may find....it can get expensive fast.

I'm just offering up some friendly advice BTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
You've been lucky, the province issues you with two license plates for a reason, that being that they decided that you are required to display two licence plates. The funny thing is that if some copper with "nothing better to do" as the OP said, he may take a long hard look at you and your car.....you'd be surprised at what other violations he or she may find....it can get expensive fast.

I'm just offering up some friendly advice BTW.
Totally understand and know what you mean. Appreciate the advice
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxman1950 View Post
You can go with a tow hook mounted one like I do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe...-/282400689589
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I forget how you attach yours. Doesn't yours hook in through the front grills?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #9
alfadog
Rep
Drives: Looking

I use the backing tape from removable 3M picture hooks - easy to remove without damage
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Manxman1950
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadog View Post
I use the backing tape from removable 3M picture hooks - easy to remove without damage
Yes, I ended up using outdoor double sided tape, after finding how durable it is when I removed my “chopped” front plate. Not sure if I would recommend it for brush car washes, but since I never use those, it’s a bit of a moot point.
2006 Z4M roadster. Interlagos Blue, black extended leather with carbon trim. Apex EC7 8.5/9.5 x 18 rims, Strong Strut brace, KW V3s with RE rear shock mounts, Vibra Tech and Rogue engine/transmission mounts, Stromung exhaust, CDV delete.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #11
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Tow hook is the way to go. Did that to mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPower View Post
You can go with a tow hook mounted one like I do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe...-/282400689589
THIS or similar.

2 cents donated.
Appreciate 0