ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Anyone riding on KW V1 or ST X coils? Overhaul and general suspension Qs.

I used to have a set of KW V1 on my 11 335xi for my daily, it was perfect for me in terms of ride comfort and it was firm enough to make the car handle perfectly. Got rid of the jarring/crashing of the stock suspension. It was glued to the road.

Now that I have new to me 2006 Z4 3.0si roadster with 90,000kms and after driving it around a bit, I realized how terrible the stock sport suspension is. I feel every single little thing on the road and it wonders left and right really badly. While the steering appears to be very sloppy and way too light (plan on playing with the worm gear ring in the steering column to tune out the lightness). I also seem to be jumping up and down in my seat because of this. Doesn't feel like BMW...

Either way, I am planning to overhaul the suspension so that the car can be actually enjoyed. Its clear that the previous owner was completely oblivious to the fact and told me there's really nothing wrong with it and that it needed much needed TLC.

So I would like to change out springs/shocks, FCABs, possibly new control arms (or new ball joints in the old arms), RTABs, add front reinforcement plates and rear as well. Possibly a strut bar and sways or at least new bushings for the sway bars and new links.

I'd like the car to handle really well for street use and perhaps light track duty but at the same time keep enough comfort for long road trips and such so that I cannot hear my lunch splashing around my stomach

For coils or spring shock combo I thought of ST X (basically KW V1 without stainless shocks) or Bilstein B12 Pro-kit (basically Eibach springs and B6 shocks). KWs were really good on my 335 so I am thinking it would be just as good on the Z. But its a different chassis altogether so it might not be the case.

For the bushings, I am not sure if makes sense to just replace everything with original bmw parts or go for poly or some other type of bushings. Maybe Mayle HD or something?

I'd like to keep everything at reasonable $$ too. Since this is a fun weekend car that I kind of made fit into the family budget I have to be reasonable and fair. The suspension work will be done by myself.

So is anyone riding on ST X or KW V1 and how do you find the ride quality with the Z e85/e86 chassis?

Any suggestions and input on the rest of the overhaul is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Willy Sea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe S54, E36 M3 Evo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
I used to have a set of KW V1 on my 11 335xi for my daily, it was perfect for me in terms of ride comfort and it was firm enough to make the car handle perfectly. Got rid of the jarring/crashing of the stock suspension. It was glued to the road.

Now that I have new to me 2006 Z4 3.0si roadster with 90,000kms and after driving it around a bit, I realized how terrible the stock sport suspension is. I feel every single little thing on the road and it wonders left and right really badly. While the steering appears to be very sloppy and way too light (plan on playing with the worm gear ring in the steering column to tune out the lightness). I also seem to be jumping up and down in my seat because of this. Doesn't feel like BMW...

Either way, I am planning to overhaul the suspension so that the car can be actually enjoyed. Its clear that the previous owner was completely oblivious to the fact and told me there's really nothing wrong with it and that it needed much needed TLC.

So I would like to change out springs/shocks, FCABs, possibly new control arms (or new ball joints in the old arms), RTABs, add front reinforcement plates and rear as well. Possibly a strut bar and sways or at least new bushings for the sway bars and new links.

I'd like the car to handle really well for street use and perhaps light track duty but at the same time keep enough comfort for long road trips and such so that I cannot hear my lunch splashing around my stomach

For coils or spring shock combo I thought of ST X (basically KW V1 without stainless shocks) or Bilstein B12 Pro-kit (basically Eibach springs and B6 shocks). KWs were really good on my 335 so I am thinking it would be just as good on the Z. But its a different chassis altogether so it might not be the case.

For the bushings, I am not sure if makes sense to just replace everything with original bmw parts or go for poly or some other type of bushings. Maybe Mayle HD or something?

I'd like to keep everything at reasonable $$ too. Since this is a fun weekend car that I kind of made fit into the family budget I have to be reasonable and fair. The suspension work will be done by myself.

So is anyone riding on ST X or KW V1 and how do you find the ride quality with the Z e85/e86 chassis?

Any suggestions and input on the rest of the overhaul is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you.
ST X is a good option, should you want to go down the coilover route.. I would start with replacing your FCAB, and then review your steering and tramlining. Tyre choice and pressures play a big part with this too. You are probably not running runflats now at 90kms, if you are there are considerable benefits in removing them. Recommend staying with standard suspension bushings if replacement required again Meyhle or Lemforder are good.
There is a wealth of experienced commentators on this forum, had only good advice ourselves with a 3.0si coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Unfortunately, tires are run flats. For some strange reason people stick with the run flats and make it sound like its a good thing when selling their cars

Having said that, on my old 335xi I've driven 3 winters with KW V1s and winter run flats which was really harsh and unforgiving with stock suspension. The ride was perfectly compliant with KW and same tires though. And nearly perfect with light weight 19s and Michelin PSS.

I am planning to get rid of run flats. But hoping that replacing bushings and suspension will make a big difference. Also really hope I can get the steering tighter after adjustment. Tires will be changed after that.

Will be doing some shopping soon just need to understand which parts I need and make a list. Planning to start wrenching on it before spring so that I am ready to hit the road fully prepared. Planning some road trips with wifey already. Top down cruising is going to be great. The Z4 seems to be getting a lot more attention from me than my new 540i daily love the 5 though. that thing is a beast!

ST X coils have been ordered. Excited

Last edited by belcom; 02-05-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Bilstein / Eibach combo bottoms out harshly over certain types of road imperfections - think pothole lips, expansion joints, etc.
Also I found the B/E setup settled too low, esp in the front, which is nearly tucked.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      02-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I have Koni adjustables and ST coils on my non M.
Lowered about 1” both ends
Front struts set at full hard and rears at around 3/4 full hard. No bottoming out or
fender liner rub.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:35 AM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

change the run flats first...