ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2021, 12:34 AM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My car's fooked - diminished value?

Sad day today. For some reason I reached for the Z4M keys instead of my Golf R keys. I almost NEVER drive the Z4M on weekdays - it's just a weekend car. But today for some reason I chose to drive it.

About 3 miles down the highway from home I was involved in a stupid accident. A woman had pulled onto the shoulder because she wanted to get out of traffic (this is a 2-lane, 65 mph state highway) before making a left turn off the highway, where no left turn lane exists. She said she had traffic behind her and didn't want to slow them up to make her left. So she pulls onto the right shoulder and then needs to drive straight across the highway and onto her street. I approach and see her lurking on the shoulder and cover my brake. She stops moving and is positioned to be able to see the traffic coming from my direction, so I ASSume she's spotted me and is waiting for me to go by. At the last instant, she starts across the highway and I had to swerve to try to avoid her, and she just clipped my right rear, amputating my bumper, munching the RR wheel (and possibly mangling the suspension - hard to tell), and denting/scraping the fender. We are both lucky that I didn't T-bone her right in the driver's door at 65 - she'd probably be dead and I might be too.

She's insured with State Farm. I have State Farm - 36 years now - for everything EXCEPT my Z4M - which is insured with Grundy as a collector car. But State Farm will be paying the claim because she's at fault. I plan to go to my agent and try to get him to go to bat for me to get some compensation for diminished value. How should I go about this? What's a reasonable amount to ask for? It's gotta kill somewhere between $5-10k of value I would think. It's a 45k-mile cherry example. Any advice appreciated, especially from anyone who has been in the same situation.

I'll probably wind up selling it, and will either search for another car with no damage history, or just buy a new M2 Competition instead - a tough decision for me.

Here's the carnage.

This just SUCKS!!!!

Last edited by KevinC; 02-10-2021 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:43 AM   #2
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
that just sucks(doesn't looked totalled to me) good luck, friend!
      01-23-2021, 05:00 AM   #3
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Sorry to read this... my car was hit very similarly… A secretary at my old company's office flew her car in reverse and slammed into my parked car and manage to push it nearly 6 inches… I got to watch the carnage on security camera footage and was super pissed. However the owner of the company offered to pay cash for the damages and it ended up being around 6000. The damage looks nearly identical to what has happened to yours. Unfortunately shit happens. However to me the book value of this car makes no difference, and I will fix it 1000 times over. The Z4c is one model of car I have never gotten tired of looking at...it holds a special place in my eyes and it'll be worth fixing and keeping
Appreciate 2
wdb4732.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      01-23-2021, 05:16 AM   #4
Mike 1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Sorry to hear this, always sucks when you have a car you love. I guess it's just part of life unfortunately. Maybe fix it, see how it turns out and keep it if you're happy. If it bothers you, move on to another dream.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Unless there’s suspension damage, looks pretty superficial to me. Fix it and keep it.
Appreciate 5
Murf99314116.00
Efthreeoh17316.50
wdb4732.00
ZAR4MC93.00
      01-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
earlgrey69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Man that sucks big time! One of my biggest fears with driving mine. I'm the original owner with 20k on mine and I am usually pretty nervous if I am driving on a busy road but it sounds like your situation happened on a fairly desolate road. Feel for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

very sorry to hear about this happening to you, but nothing you could have reasonably done to avoid it.

I agree with others about seeing how the car feels after repair....this is coming from one who has let an e86 go and regrets it.

I also happen to own a 2020 M2 competition, the car you are considering as a replacement. The M2 comp is a very special fun car, but I suspect you will still miss the NA engine, hydraulic steering and timeless beauty of the Z4MC.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

OH NO!!!!
I watched as you lamented selling your first one and then watched you begin the search for its replacement....and the joy when it was purchased.

You're spot-on....you may have killed her and at a minimum, totaled your beloved Z4MC if you had not taken nano-second evasive action....you can easily credit the great sports suspension (very responsive handling) and incredible brakes (you slowed a TON before impact) to the greatness of the E85/E86 M platform.

This just grieves me - to see a low mileage, pristine example damaged with no way out....you are to be credited for avoiding a T-Bone in the driver's door.

Agree with the posts above - don't make a decision until you have a critical assessment of suspension and/or unibody frame damage.

Stating the obvious, this beloved marque is no longer manufactured. If the majority of the damage is cosmetic, have it repaired by the best of the best in your area and keep the car.

In the early 2000's, my wife was hit by a landscape van and equipment trailer that ran a stop sign and hit her in the RF wheel....it did massive damage to a relatively new Camry and was repaired by one of the best collision repair firms in the greater Seattle area....it was equal to or better than new (and I have a critical eye). She regrettably suffered long-term neck injuries, but has mostly recovered.

We're all watching and want updates when you can.

Last edited by racerbruce; 01-23-2021 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:16 AM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the words of support guys. I do fear that the rear suspension is tweaked. It's hard to tell from looking at it as the wheel is very mangled, which in and of itself is not a good sign. The gravity of this essentially being a near-death experience kinda set in last night. If I'd have T-boned her at 65, she's dead. Who knows what happens to me - the whole thing could have become one big fireball.

You can see in my pictures that the weather is clear, full daylight, and the road is straight as an arrow here. Yet she didn't see me coming somehow, despite being well-positioned to see traffic in either direction before deciding to cross the highway. Be alert out there at ALL times - no matter how skilled or careful of a driver you may be, somebody is lurking out there to make that stuff null and void.

I've started my search for a body shop. I'm in the stocks, 80 miles from Tucson, and the nearest "real" town is small and I don't know that I'd trust anyone there to fix it, or if there is a good shop there, how I'd find it. I'll ask my mechanic in Tucson for a recommendation and I've already reached out to a couple of the local BMWCCA chapter's officers to see if they can point me someplace. I'll update the thread as this unfolds.
      01-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #10
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Well said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Thanks for all the words of support guys. I do fear that the rear suspension is tweaked. It's hard to tell from looking at it as the wheel is very mangled, which in and of itself is not a good sign. The gravity of this essentially being a near-death experience kinda set in last night. If I'd have T-boned her at 65, she's dead. Who knows what happens to me - the whole thing could have become one big fireball.

You can see in my pictures that the weather is clear, full daylight, and the road is straight as an arrow here. Yet she didn't see me coming somehow, despite being well-positioned to see traffic in either direction before deciding to cross the highway. Be alert out there at ALL times - no matter how skilled or careful of a driver you may be, somebody is lurking out there to make that stuff null and void.

I've started my search for a body shop. I'm in the stocks, 80 miles from Tucson, and the nearest "real" town is small and I don't know that I'd trust anyone there to fix it, or if there is a good shop there, how I'd find it. I'll ask my mechanic in Tucson for a recommendation and I've already reached out to a couple of the local BMWCCA chapter's officers to see if they can point me someplace. I'll update the thread as this unfolds.
Indeed, the aftershock of an experience like this places us in a total re-centering and reality that all of this life's breathing and exhaling can be changed in a literal heartbeat.

Great idea to reach out to local BMW chapters for directing you in your search for the assessment of damage and repairs.
      01-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Sorry to hear about your accident. But I've come to accept the fact that accidents could happen anytime I take her out. Sometime, it might be better to have some blemishes on the car so you can fully enjoy it without much guilt. I know I would feel guilty every time I take it out for a drive if my car was 100% perfect. In the long run, I wouldn't care about the extra $10k in value, if it prevents me from fully enjoying my car. As the old saying goes - Life is short, enjoy your cars and stop worrying about keeping them 100% perfect.

Very much agreeing with others about seeing how the car feels after repair.

Last edited by XMetal; 01-23-2021 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I feel you, the wheel looks off-center, but that could be an illusion caused by the other damaged bits. what is weak is the camber arm, so if only that was bent, a replacement will get you back to shape, you can replace the entire fender panel, bumper, and the under tray plastics and it will be like new as long as you can live with it. if you can even get a compensation check from the other driver so there is no record of it and if you replace ALL bits that were touched you have a car that is as good as it was.

but is always mind bugging to know it has been kissed by the devil
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I’m planning to keep my SI roadster forever so I cannot imagine parting with an M coupe. Replace the busted bits as mentioned above and enjoy your pride and joy. It’s a Classic.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      01-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #14
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Sorry to hear about what happened. Not sure if that sort of damage will ever be 100%.

Good news M2CS just came out. =)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #15
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

So sorry to read this. Sounds like you prefer to have the accident done on your newer Golf R than your Z4M.

As long as there's no frame or structural damage, it should be ok and shouldn't really affect the car's value too much. Of course it will not be looked as kindly by BaT bourgeois community. It will be banished to the Craigslist scum.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:50 PM   #16
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

I'm hoping you have good luck with your State Farm Insurance. I'm hoping there better out there than they are in Pennsylvania. About 9 years ago my Daughters 2 week old VW was hit while parked in her employers parking lot. The women who hit her parked car had State Farm. State Farm admitted it was there clients fault ( Yea, she hit a unoccupied parked car in a parking lot) and said there was about $250.00 in damage. However, State Farm claimed she would have use there approved body shop for repairs. Basically, it was take what they offered or drop dead. I'm guessing they believed the damage was way below what it would cost me to retain an Attorney.

However, since the car was two weeks old and my daughter hadn't made her first payment yet, I put a claim in on my own insurance for the accident and went to a decent repair shop. Basically, I wanted her car fixed correctly. After this shop went over her car they advised there was actually about $1,800.00 in damage and the adjuster for my insurance company inspected the damage and agreed with the $1,800.00 repair number.

My insurance company waved my $250.00 deductible and my insurance did not increase the next year.

Again, I hope things work out to your advantage with State Farm and whatever settlement they offer. However, you should stand ready to file a claim with Grundy if need.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:06 PM   #17
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It seems like lowballing the initial estimate, then "finding more damage later", which obviously can and does occur legitimately, is also a very common tool to just steer a job to a particular shop that the insurance company wants to use. Everyone knows damn well that there is more damage but the goal is accomplished.

Monday the phone calls and frustration will start. Not looking forward to it. Stay tuned for updates to this sad saga.
      01-23-2021, 11:08 PM   #18
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Sorry to hear about what happened. Not sure if that sort of damage will ever be 100%.

Good news M2CS just came out. =)
M2CS is too rich for my blood. M2C however is not. And I love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the engine/exhaust note. I have a buddy with an M4 with the same motor, and it sounds absolutely awful. Allegedly the exhaust tuning is better on the M2C. Still not a sweet-sounding 6 like the S54. But it sure is a monster.
      01-24-2021, 12:55 AM   #19
pyshin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97c2

staying tuned for updates, best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #20
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

This was mine a few years ago, and I took the opportunity to replace some other bits whilst it was off the road. It's done another 20,000 miles and plenty of track & Nurburgring action since...and feels better now than it did before the accident

We had to go back to the repair shop 3 times for different snags - and the biggest was a diff noise which was traced to one of the drive shafts chipping the gears in the diff. That added another £3000 to the repair bill...which came to about £14000 in total.

You can see it has a lot more obvious wheel/suspension damage though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00
      01-24-2021, 05:43 AM   #21
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
M2CS is too rich for my blood. M2C however is not. And I love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the engine/exhaust note. I have a buddy with an M4 with the same motor, and it sounds absolutely awful. Allegedly the exhaust tuning is better on the M2C. Still not a sweet-sounding 6 like the S54. But it sure is a monster.
For some reason, the S55 sounds better inside and out in the M2C than it does in the M4. It actually sounds pretty good (for a modern turbo car) from the inside. But yeah you will miss the acoustics of the s54...but suprisingly not as much you might think.I had a 981 Cayman with a very sweet sounding flat six prior to the M2C and, while it sounded better, the gap is not as huge as I thought. I actually drive with the window slightly down even in coldish weather to enjoy the sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #22
jhm5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, 440i, Z4 MR, 2002

A sad situation for sure. Be glad there are no personal injuries. Choose the best body repair shop you can find, no matter what State Farm recommends. Press the shop to repair it to your satisfaction and let them fight with the insurance company. Report the incident to your insurer. Google, ask around, find someone who deals with diminished claims in your area. They can evaluate the repair to your car and the likely diminished value and fight with State Farm. Is there a police report? Was the car towed? If not, there may not be a record of the accident that reaches Carfax and the like. Good luck.
Appreciate 0