ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

First Auto-X on the RS3s and swaybar

I'd say it went really well, took AS!

Video below, let me know if you see anything of concern. Comments are always appreciated. I can't wait for these tires to get faster. Grip is everywhere.

Sway bar is a big improvement. Hopefully someone took shots so I can see body roll. I'm running an E46 M3 H&R 30mm

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I'd say it went really well, took AS!

Video below, let me know if you see anything of concern. Comments are always appreciated. I can't wait for these tires to get faster. Grip is everywhere.

Sway bar is a big improvement. Hopefully someone took shots so I can see body roll. I'm running an E46 M3 H&R 30mm
Nice man.. I regret not picking up a set of RS3's last seasons. Since then prices have been jacked up and most of the local distributors nearby don't even have any in stock.
      05-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Trev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Nice one Kgolf,

Hard to tell with the audio sync being off, but lines looked good & clearly you popped for 1st place so that's got to be good.

How did the understeer / oversteer feel like. Oh & what tyre pressure did you end up with. I went hunting for your results but didn't find a NORA website, are they posted anywhere.

So i got to ask, why do you press the radio button at the end of the run?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

also interested in tire pressures and rear camber settings.

Race times are broadcast on a dedicated FM channel, thats why he's tuning the radio. Its usually best to turn the radio OFF for the run, and then turn it on, otherwise you hit the change station button on the steering wheel, which is going to be very distracting in the middle of a run. twice. much louder because you turn the volume up on the raceday station. hahahahah
      05-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Nice man.. I regret not picking up a set of RS3's last seasons. Since then prices have been jacked up and most of the local distributors nearby don't even have any in stock.
I ordered these in November and didn't get them til end of December. Glad I got them though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Nice one Kgolf,

Hard to tell with the audio sync being off, but lines looked good & clearly you popped for 1st place so that's got to be good.

How did the understeer / oversteer feel like. Oh & what tyre pressure did you end up with. I went hunting for your results but didn't find a NORA website, are they posted anywhere.

So i got to ask, why do you press the radio button at the end of the run?
I'm getting a GoPro for the 20th. I'm sick with mediocre recordings. Sorry about that.

Understeer occurred on 2 places on course. First one was after the first optional slalom, off camber. The second place was at the 180* turn towards the end of the course. Both were mainly because I was trying to take as much speed as possible. Oversteer wasn't too bad. Only bad time was going into that 180* turn where I almost lost it (trying to go WOT through the section the whole day). Someone came up to me afterwards and was saying I was clearly the fastest car going through the slalom the first session. Which made me giggle.

I ended up running front 37 cold, 38 hot...and rear 35 cold, 36 hot. I'm going to drop the rears a PSI next time to see if I can get rid of that understeer w/out compromising anything.

I pressed the radio button so I can hear my time. The speaker was pretty close to me though.

Here is the timesheet.

Most of stock class ran on first heat. Exceptions were to ASP, BS, CS, and CSP IIRC.

Pro Class ran second heat along with the stock classes mentioned above and all ST classes. They got better rubber on the track. I also noticed I took the second optional cone slalom completely wrong. I easily could of gotten into low 69s, high 68s by going the opposite way. I'm pissed about that. Placing 18/81 on RAW time on new tires and new swaybar is exciting though...not to mention I took a slalom the wrong way!

The Vette WAS on R-Comps, I don't know how he ran slow though..

http://racerslane.com/clubs/NORA%20-...nts/11951#runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
also interested in tire pressures and rear camber settings.

Race times are broadcast on a dedicated FM channel, thats why he's tuning the radio. Its usually best to turn the radio OFF for the run, and then turn it on, otherwise you hit the change station button on the steering wheel, which is going to be very distracting in the middle of a run. twice. much louder because you turn the volume up on the raceday station. hahahahah
Exactly. I don't want to hear other runs either when I'm running!

Pressures listed above, camber settings are all stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Shots are still uploading...but why let people wait?

Last edited by Kgolf31; 05-08-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
I ended up running front 37 cold, 38 hot...and rear 35 cold, 36 hot. I'm going to drop the rears a PSI next time to see if I can get rid of that understeer w/out compromising anything.
Dropping the rear pressures from 36 psi ought to improve rear grip, so if anything, dropping rear pressures ought to exacerbate understeer. i've been running my 265 Star Specs at about 36/32 psi front/rear on OE suspension and alignment. I bet your rear shoe polish is not nearly as close to the edge as your fronts.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
Dropping the rear pressures from 36 psi ought to improve rear grip, so if anything, dropping rear pressures ought to exacerbate understeer. i've been running my 265 Star Specs at about 36/32 psi front/rear on OE suspension and alignment. I bet your rear shoe polish is not nearly as close to the edge as your fronts.
Thanks for the info. I was using chalk...shoe polish slings

Anyways, I had awesome roll over, both were right at the wear bars. Although the sidewall is kinda hard, so I gotta experiment with pressures.

What made you get to 36/32?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
cervasa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0 6spd

did u get a front or rearbar?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervasa View Post
did u get a front or rearbar?
Front.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:

Anyways, I had awesome roll over, both were right at the wear bars. Although the sidewall is kinda hard, so I gotta experiment with pressures.

10 years of experience running my E36 on both R and (mostly) street tires

After each run, check your pressures to make sure they don't build up. After the event make sure pressures are again right for the street.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin
Quote:

10 years of experience running my E36 on both R and (mostly) street tires

After each run, check your pressures to make sure they don't build up. After the event make sure pressures are again right for the street.
I've been doing this for 3 years. Not new.

I check pressures always, check to make sure I'm at temp as well (I have a tire sprayer if I grease over). I keep my pressures at auto-x pressures always. I take them off directly after the event
Appreciate 0