ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2024, 08:42 PM   #1
Marscommander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0i / 2007 M Coupe

Help identifying Bluetooth device

Greetings,

I recently purchased an 07 coupe with factory DSP and telephone support options. I was told that the car had a Bluetooth module installed, but not what brand or how to use it. I have a Grom unit in my 08 roadster, but this works differently. Before I rip my trunk apart to figure this out, I’ve noticed the following:

When I start the car I see the following two Bluetooth devices: “Handsfree” and “speaker”. Handsfree asks for a pin, speaker will not pair successfully.

My aux connection below the radio doesn’t seem to function. I plugged a known good cable in and wasn’t able to get any sound.

I only get the choice of FM, CD, and AUX when hitting the mode button.

Anyone recognize this setup?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:31 AM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Just guessing but perhaps the AUX input was used as the bluetooth input source? Maybe select that input on the head unit and then try to pair with "speaker".

"Handsfree" sounds like the built-in phone-quality bluetooth -- not usable for audio.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:39 AM   #3
Marscommander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0i / 2007 M Coupe

I did end up figuring this out, it was a very cheap Bluetooth module installed behind the radio with an adapter harness in-between the radio and vehicle loom. Managed to pair to it but the quality wasn't good. Sticking with aux cable for now.
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00