ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Aftermarket seats for stock 3point belt?

Anyone have any experience fitting any seats other then pole positions or profi XL that work with the stock 3 point seat belt? Preferably something for someone who is 6'2" 190lbs lol. I'm slidin all over the place

Was looking at Cobra Nogaros which seem like a really good option but not sure if they would fit. The side thigh bolstering is low enough for factory belt and you can even retain heated seats. But other then nogaros I'm lost as to how to fix my sliding around problem
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I have seen a few posts recently regarding aftermarket seats.

Now I have no idea of the Reg’s as regards track use but I drive my car fairly aggressively when able and have found the stock non M seats very good at keeping me in place. They were recovered in Alcantara and leather with increased hip and thigh bolster heights. Cost was comparable to AM race type seats.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I have seen a few posts recently regarding aftermarket seats.

Now I have no idea of the Reg's as regards track use but I drive my car fairly aggressively when able and have found the stock non M seats very good at keeping me in place. They were recovered in Alcantara and leather with increased hip and thigh bolster heights. Cost was comparable to AM race type seats.
Thanks for the response. I have the stock M seats and don't want to tear into that to be honest. Would rather just buy a proper second set and put those in instead. Like I said the cobra nogaros look like they're exactly what I'm looking for and I'm willing to risk ordering without sitting in them(will make sure they're made for my height and waist) i just don't know if they'll fit and am hoping if someone can offer insight into that or another seat that would work

Very little space to work with being a 6'2" guy unfortunately. If I was an inch or 2 taller I wouldn't even fit in the car
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Few fixed-back seats have provisions for 3-pt belts, the vast majority have sides the are way too high and leave the lap belt not in contact with your body. I personally wouldn't take the risk on this.

Even the Recaro models you listed suffer from this. The exception would be the Recaro Pole Position ABE which I believe is only available in Europe. This is similar to the M4 GTS seat ($$$$$$) which allows the lap belt to be used properly.

The only fixed-back seats I've seen that can safely accommodate a 3pt would be the aforementioned Recaro PP ABE, Cobra Nogaro, and Tillett B1/B5. Or the various OEM offerings (M3 CSL, M4 GTS, 991 GT2/GT3, etc.).

Edit: I'm reading now that you're 6'2". If your plan is to also find a seat that can work with a 4/5/6pt harness, be aware that seats like the Recaro PP have shoulder harness holes that I've read can be too low and thus also create a very unsafe angle.

While I've never used them, have you considered a CG-Lock with your stock seats? I've heard it's a decent half-measure and won't involve the headache of choosing an aftermarket seat entails.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I had a CG-Lock in my STi. A bit annoying in daily use but very functional otherwise. It essentially cinches the lap belt tightly in place, eliminating any inertia reel play from that section of the belt.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
Few fixed-back seats have provisions for 3-pt belts, the vast majority have sides the are way too high and leave the lap belt not in contact with your body. I personally wouldn't take the risk on this.

Even the Recaro models you listed suffer from this. The exception would be the Recaro Pole Position ABE which I believe is only available in Europe. This is similar to the M4 GTS seat ($$$$$$) which allows the lap belt to be used properly.

The only fixed-back seats I've seen that can safely accommodate a 3pt would be the aforementioned Recaro PP ABE, Cobra Nogaro, and Tillett B1/B5. Or the various OEM offerings (M3 CSL, M4 GTS, 991 GT2/GT3, etc.).

Edit: I'm reading now that you're 6'2". If your plan is to also find a seat that can work with a 4/5/6pt harness, be aware that seats like the Recaro PP have shoulder harness holes that I've read can be too low and thus also create a very unsafe angle.

While I've never used them, have you considered a CG-Lock with your stock seats? I've heard it's a decent half-measure and won't involve the headache of choosing an aftermarket seat entails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I had a CG-Lock in my STi. A bit annoying in daily use but very functional otherwise. It essentially cinches the lap belt tightly in place, eliminating any inertia reel play from that section of the belt.

Ty for the responses. Did not know the CG lock existed so will definitely be ordering that. Also will not be using harnesses and am aware of the lap belt issue with the fixed back seats which is why I was looking into the Nogaros. I only meant to reference the pole positions and profis(IIRC) to use as an example of what has been confirmed to fit into our cars.

After some research I've learned that the Nogaros are actually more narrow then pole positions so in theory they should fit. However when I sat in PPs they were too tight. But I read one person with a 38 waist (bigger then I) fit comfortably snug into the nogaros that are more narrow which doesnt make much sense to me. Regardless will be calling HMS to get their input and probably take the risk of ordering without ever sitting in one. They can retain heated seats and can have a lumber functionality while being a fixed back seat that you can use with factory 3 point so cant really ask for more.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
You can buy a typical fixed back seat and run a seat belt extender that snakes through the side hole. That’s what I did with my Pole Positions prior to getting harnesses.

The seat height relative to your frame isn’t really an issue. Most seats are the same height or similar. It’s the shoulder width and hip areas that vary. The only height issue is shoulder belts for harnesses since those need to be at a specific angle but it’s moot it you’re sticking to factory 3 points.

The Nogaro *should* fit. I don’t remember the exact measurements but I recall they were very similar to my old Pole Positions. If someone found the PP’s to be tight, it’s probably because of the side bolsters that come up which the Nogaros don’t have. Also the shoulder / back width tends to be narrow on the PP so if you like to lean back into the seat that could be an issue, i.e. the PP may “hug” you more around shoulders than a Nogaro which may be flatter in that area?
      11-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
You can buy a typical fixed back seat and run a seat belt extender that snakes through the side hole. That's what I did with my Pole Positions prior to getting harnesses.

The seat height relative to your frame isn't really an issue. Most seats are the same height or similar. It's the shoulder width and hip areas that vary. The only height issue is shoulder belts for harnesses since those need to be at a specific angle but it's moot it you're sticking to factory 3 points.

The Nogaro *should* fit. I don't remember the exact measurements but I recall they were very similar to my old Pole Positions. If someone found the PP's to be tight, it's probably because of the side bolsters that come up which the Nogaros don't have. Also the shoulder / back width tends to be narrow on the PP so if you like to lean back into the seat that could be an issue, i.e. the PP may "hug" you more around shoulders than a Nogaro which may be flatter in that area?
Cool that sounds good thank you for the info. I didn't want to put the extender through the side hole because I feel like it would jab into my side and be annoying. Never had fixed back seats before so excited to try this. Hope it works out
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

How much comfort are you looking for?

Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
Willy Sea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe S54, E36 M3 Evo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecker33 View Post

B5's? Very nice too. Which fitting kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecker33 View Post

Ahh very cool, looks pricey. Was hoping to get something to match my interior a bit more like something I can order in red.

Are those supportive? And very uncomfortable I'm assuming by your question? Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Ahh very cool, looks pricey. Was hoping to get something to match my interior a bit more like something I can order in red.

Are those supportive? And very uncomfortable I'm assuming by your question? Lol
I was thinking of having the covers redone in a red Alcantara (or whatever generic material) to match the door cards. I worry that any of the aftermarket seats in red will be a few shades off.....

Very supportive, I find them quite comfortable to sit it but find them unbearable in 90+ heat with no A/C.

No 'cushion' to them, however.
Appreciate 0