ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Engine cooling - radiator and shrouding

I'm trying to improve air cooling efficiency on my Z4. Was hitting 210degF coolant on a hot day, and 260 oil temps. I run a large CSF oil cooler mounted beneath the radiator, but also a large front mount intercooler. I also still have the A/C condenser in place.

I used to not have cooling issues last year, somehow it has slowly gotten worse. Coolant is 50/50 mix fresh this season.

I do have a vented hood (using 3 trackspec vents), and majority of undercarriage is covered with undertray panels. I bet I ruined the path of air escape from the engine bay, but not sure.

There is a gaping hole right above the radiator, between the large upper plastic cover. I was contemplating shrouding that area so that no air can escape above the radiator.

But, I noticed the plastic cover has a few vents in it. Does anyone know if this cover has any purpose for air flow? Should that gap between the radiator and this cover exist for some purpose?

Anyone shroud that area off with no detrimental effects?
      10-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

If you feel your cooling has progressively deteriorated, it could be that your radiator is filling with sand and debris. I've seen this happen many times on track cars. Try agressively blowing it out from the backside.

Plate type coolers rely on forced airflow. Anything you can do to increase the front side pressure and/or reduce the backside pressure will improve airflow. Stacked or thicker coolers require more pressure differential to flow than thin coolers. Keep in mind that air will always seek the path of least resistance.
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2279.50
Vanne1620.50