ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

Bluetooth affected by upgraded system

Long and short of it is, I had a system installed in my car removing factory amp.

Car has nav, had dsp, and had Bluetooth.

Obviously I was going to lose the dsp, but the problems with bluetooth have me confused.

You see, it's connecting, the mic is working, only I can't hear anything through the speakers. They do however cut the volume when a call comes in.

I checked to see if there we're any loose connections at the tcu, but found none.

Any ideas
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Help, please.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Did you or a shop do the install?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Did you or a shop do the install?
Exactly. Actually, the one thing I can think of is fade everything to the front then try a call both outgoing then incoming. Then fade everything to the rear and try it again. This may give some clues as to what may be gong on.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Shop did the install, but can't figure out the problem. I get the "maybe it doesn't work without factory amp."

I have the speakers behind the seats disconnected. Is it possible those are the speakers connected to Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

I have DSP and had issues with noise coming from the front left lower speaker. This is the only one that the bluetooth sound comes out of. The bluetooth module is wired into the amp to give you the audio coming back. If you removed your factory amp then you have lost your ability to hear the other person. The mic however is directly wired to the bluetooth module. Hence why the person on the line can hear you. I had to disconnect the speaker because of the noise and mine operates exactly as you described.
      03-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate96 View Post
I have DSP and had issues with noise coming from the front left lower speaker. This is the only one that the bluetooth sound comes out of. The bluetooth module is wired into the amp to give you the audio coming back. If you removed your factory amp then you have lost your ability to hear the other person. The mic however is directly wired to the bluetooth module. Hence why the person on the line can hear you. I had to disconnect the speaker because of the noise and mine operates exactly as you described.
I found what I believe is thewire you are referring to. Is it a speaker wirethatmaybe I can splice into a connected wire?

Its a fairly thick black wire with an unusual connector I have never seen before, that has some purple color coding onit.

Anyone know if there is anything i can do with this? I really miss the bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

So it looks like the cable is a FAKRA SMB connector. It's says it's an RF antenna cable from what I could find. Not sure how this carries the sound to the amplifier to be played over the speakers. Also looked at the oem amp, and could not see where this cable would be inserted. I am going to check the amp harness to see if there are any FAKRA SMB female connectors for the loose one I found.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Appreciate 0