ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Mounting position for Beltronics STiR+ radar reciever?

I have a Z4 M Coupe, and the Beltronics STiR+ radar detector is being installed tomorrow. I already have the display unit integrated into my mirror thanks to radar-mirror.com. Exciting to see it light up!

However, I'm really unsure about where the detector unit should be mounted. The front of the car is an unfortunate location because the engine and firewall are very effective at blocking radar from reaching it, and only if there are reflective targets in front of the car will a rear radar hit register (a major problem if out on an open-highway and the car behind is too far away to distinguish between a civilian speeder and a trooper). I'm thinking about trying to mount it on the interior roof somewhere near the top of the rear hatch, so it can get a pretty clear view front and back, but I'm not sure how it would be attached or how to make it look clean...

Any ideas? Do you know of any other Z4 Coupe owners with installed radar detectors? Tips even for front mounting locations/techniques are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

The detector install was delayed because the mirror gauge hookup (AFR and Boost) was more complicated than expected. It's now scheduled for this Wednesday, Dec 7th.

Beltronics was not really helpful. I replied clarifying that I am having the guys at Performance Technic do the installation, but that doesn't mean the mounting position best is obvious to a professional shop either--mainly because of the VT2-500 intercooler.

Any creative ideas or input on the possibilities I proposed to them?

Scott,

We recommend professional installation of this unit. The installer is able to suggest the best locations for installation based on hands-on inspection of the vehicle.

----- Original Message -----
To: <belradarsupport@beltronics.com>
Sent: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 13:05:17 -0800
Subject: Mounting position of Beltronics STiR+ receiver unit. [InteractionID: 00393981-29ef-4b2e-b8a8-b0d23e0ef85a]

Hi there,

I have the Beltronics STiR+ unit and it will be installed on my BMW Z4 M Coupe this coming Wednesday. Unfortunately, there isn't yet a clear choice in where to mount the receiver unit, and I would really appreciate any help possible in deciding where to position it.

Lower grille area: My car is supercharged, and as such, the intercooler consumes the entire lower grille area. There is simply no space at all for the unit in that position.

Side bumper area: My car has two ports in the bumper which lead to the wheel well; however, it could be challenging to mount the device completely level in them, and seems like it would be subject to quite a lot of water on wet days. Is the unit very thoroughly weatherproof?

Main grille area: Behind the "Kidney grille" is where there is the most space and flexibility in mounting the unit on my car. However, the kidney grille would have to be in front of the domes on the front of the sensor. If I am not significantly concerned about laser reception, is this an acceptable place to mount the unit? Can you provide any further details on how best to locate the unit between the grille lines for the best chance of good performance?

Thanks,

-- Scott

Here's a picture of my car, before the supercharger was installed. As I mentioned, the lower grille area is not an option for mounting now:

http://gallery.me.com/goodsonscott#1...&bgcolor=black
Appreciate 0