ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
c615586
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 325is, '13 Carrera 4S

Add-a-fuse

Has anyone had success adding a fuse to their fuse panel? If so, how did you do it and do you have any recommendations or a How-To?

I'm specifically looking to add a cigarette lighter jack so I can semipermanently add a power source for my Bluetooth A2DP stereo gateway.

This is the setup as I currently have it:

Since the fuse panel is located behind the glovebox, I figure I can add a cigarette lighter and move the cigarette/USB adapter and the gateway behind or into the glovebox to clean things up a little. However, I've got pretty limited experience with car electronics and I don't want to mess anything up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

I too am thinking of adding something like this to add power for other 12v additions such as phone charger, gps, tablet, etc.

A clean install with hidden wires is a must for me. No muss no fuss clean and tidy!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

I added a dual fuse thing into a single slot for my Passport SRX radar detector. I just located the proper amp on the panel (behind glove box), and plugged the adapter in with two of the same fuses and was good to go. Took maybe 1 minute total. You can run your wires where ever you like and it's all hidden.

When looking for the proper slot (amp wise), make sure it has power when you want it to (For example, when key is turned to accessory mode or engine on... You don't want a fuse that has power when the car is off, then your added accessory will always be on and kill your battery).

I used something like this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=32416_0_0_ (about $7)

You could also create a new slot, but that's a whole different story and much more work.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
When looking for the proper slot (amp wise), make sure it has power when you want it to (For example, when key is turned to accessory mode or engine on... You don't want a fuse that has power when the car is off, then your added accessory will always be on and kill your battery).
Yes, what I want to do is add a bank of power in the rear compartment (usb, and 12v). But I want them separated by allways-on, and only engine-on. Don't need the gps powered while parked, but having my phone charging might be ok.

Excellent information....might have to see if this weekend I can get another DIY off my list.

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster
I added a dual fuse thing into a single slot for my Passport SRX radar detector. I just located the proper amp on the panel (behind glove box), and plugged the adapter in with two of the same fuses and was good to go. Took maybe 1 minute total. You can run your wires where ever you like and it's all hidden.

I used something like this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=32416_0_0_ (about $7)

You could also create a new slot, but that's a whole different story and much more work.
Fuse taps work fine - I have them in both my M and my wife's 335 for the radar detectors. Just make sure the load doesn't exceed the rating of the circuit.

If its a radar detector, you can ten run the wire out if the glovebox and up the A pillar and across to the rear view. Tuck the wire under the trim with your fingers and you have a hard wired detector installation with no cuts, holes or stripped wires.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
c615586
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sounds good. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow afternoon. Do I need to have a place to run a ground wire?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c615586
Quote:

Sounds good. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow afternoon. Do I need to have a place to run a ground wire?
I do believe you will need a ground.

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
I do believe you will need a ground.
One of the screws (test first) holding the glove box to the dash is a good ground. Tricky to get it tight though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
c615586
Private
United_States
Rep

So I picked up the parts and tried the install yesterday.

Here are some pics:

Parts: 10amp fuses, 12volt outlet, add-a-fuse

Cigarette lighter wired up.

Lighter and add a fuse

Ground

Add-a-fuse in place--in the cigarette lighter fuse.

Aaand the final result.... it didn't work. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I checked my wiring several times, switched the ground (black wire) and live (red) wire, and tried a few different fuse outlets. The appropriate function in the car works, so I assume the add a fuse is ok, but the auxiliary cigarette lighter doesn't work no matter what I do. Do you think I need to use a higher amp fuse? Do you think I got a bum cigarette lighter? Any advice would be great.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
As one of the post above mentioned, you are probably tap into the "engine on only" source so turn the car on and see if it work. The best thing is to get a volt meter to check the spare slots and pick the approriate one ( always on, engine on only, some cars even have just empty slot)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
c615586
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
As one of the post above mentioned, you are probably tap into the "engine on only" source so turn the car on and see if it work. The best thing is to get a volt meter to check the spare slots and pick the approriate one ( always on, engine on only, some cars even have just empty slot)
As I said, I tried the add a fuse in a couple of different slots. The appropriate accessory in the car always works fine (depending on the accessory it may or may not be powered if the engine is off). The cigarette lighter is powered regardless of whether the key is in the ignition and/or the car is running.

This leads me to suspect the problem is either that I don't have a high enough rated fuse to power the 12Volt lighter (which I don't think is right because the fuse would blow if I was trying to run too much electricity through it), the lighter is defective or my connection to the lighter is installed incorrectly. But again, I have zero experience with electrical stuff beyond changing light bulbs, so I'll take any advice I can get.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I am not sure what the hell is going on. I did this on multiple cars and never have any problem. I am suspecting you have an incorrect ground connection. Make sure the ground (black wire) is connecting a solid ground point (connected all way back to the chassis or engine block)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
c615586
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I am not sure what the hell is going on. I did this on multiple cars and never have any problem. I am suspecting you have an incorrect ground connection. Make sure the ground (black wire) is connecting a solid ground point (connected all way back to the chassis or engine block)
Will do. I appreciate the advice. I'm also gonna order a multimeter and a second cigarette lighter from Amazon in case I'm missing something with the connections or I have a bad cigarette lighter.

I knew I shouldn't have dropped out of engineering school in college!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Hope you will figure it out. looking closer at ur picture, the black wire appeared not connected to ground (since there are many plastic parts around that area). good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep

Choose a new ground spot. Also, do you have two fuses in the dual fuse thing? It needs one for the original spot and another for whatever you're adding; same amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
c615586
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Choose a new ground spot. Also, do you have two fuses in the dual fuse thing? It needs one for the original spot and another for whatever you're adding; same amp.
Definitely have two fuses in.

Is there anything near the fuse panel that I can use? I read (either on this forum or somewhere else) that the screw right by the fuse panel is a good ground.

I'm going to get a ring connector thing for the ground, too. It might give me a better connection. I'll try to mess around with it a little after work.
Appreciate 0