ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Non-ipod MP3 integration w/o navi

So I am "hopefully" about to be an owner of a 2006 16,000 mile Z4M roadie without navigation.

I don't own an ipod, or any other type of mp3 player. I do own many SD cards and USB drives.

I would like to integrate digital mp3's into the car without using burnt cd's.

I also would like a screen similar to what I used to use on my Z3M: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/MVH-P7300

I loved this unit for two reasons 1. just throw in your SD card and you are ready to roll and 2. the in unit navigation was very easy to use while driving.

So other than buying an ipod and complete dice, intravee setup etc., are there any other suggestions on a setup that has the following:

1. A screen to display what is playing

2. Digital MP3 integration

I found the following item that MAY work but I am very hesitant: http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...parrot-mki9200

I watched some videos and my concern is ease of navigation into the mp3 section. I couldn't see if it had a BACK button between album, song and artist or if it is just pushing to wheel to get back to the MAIN menu to choose between bluetooth, phone, mp3, etc. That would be very annoying to be able to go only back to the main menu each time I wanted to change album or artist.

Any suggestions or reviews on this unit? Or other alternatives?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

The radio will play mp3 CDs and you can add the AUX input.

I've never seen a Z4 that looked good with an aftermarket radio.
      12-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Yeah, definitely not going to go with the aftermarket radio. I would like a small screen though put somewhere in the cabin that displays the music and playlists.

I could mount an ipod touch or zune hd with the proclip and use dice, etc., but since I don't own an ipod and would never use it outside the car, I am looking for a cleaner option.

I don't like the mp3 cd option with the stock radio because I have WAY more songs that will have to constantly change cd's, and I would hate navigating songs on the stock radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

A GROM unit might work for you. If you just want to play MP3s from USB flash drives and SD cards and don't need screen display then a cheap option is the Bimmernav player.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

That looks pretty good. I would like some sort of screen above and beyond the regular stock non-nav unit.

My wife has a 1 series that play mp3's from a disc and navigating through it sucks royally with the 1 line orange display.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

The GROM and BImmernav units only allow for 6 folders. Which sucks.

I have maybe 40-50 different albums in digital format, so that won't work.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
The GROM and BImmernav units only allow for 6 folders. Which sucks.

I have maybe 40-50 different albums in digital format, so that won't work.
Actually the Bimmernav documentation is incorrect and their unit allows for 9 folders - I know, not much better if you're looking for 40-50. Also I'm not sure, but I thought the GROM unit had support for subfolders, which even with only 6 root folders would let you nest as many albums in folders as you liked.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Well, if I had 9 main folders but could do 5 - 10 sub-folders in each main folder, then I probably could just do something alphabetical then? A - D, E - I, etc....

My other option is going for the PARROT MKi9200, which I am not thrilled about because I like to keep the oem look.

Of course, there is the spec.dock / DICE / Ipod Touch option to keep it oem, but now I'm looking at $150 for the DICE, $150 for the spec.dock and $200 for the Ipod Touch. It isn't ideal since the position of the Ipod may be difficult to view.

$500 bones is a lot to pay for mp3's but it may be the only option if GROM does not work out.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

After thinking about it, I think I found an affordable route and wanted to get some input.

I would buy a refurbished Ipod Touch for $180, and then the DICE for $129.

I don't think I need the spec.dock. I did a trial run with my Droid 2, and I would run the ipod cable through the ashtray after I cut a small hole in it.

The Droid 2 set very nicely horizontally in the ashtray. Seemed to be the perfect viewing angle. Vertically, I think it would be tough to see the Ipod, but on it's side seems to work out perfectly.

Anyone run the cable through the ashtray before?

Maybe if I remove the ashtray and permanently mount a telescoping Ipod holder, if I could find one or they make one?

The other options would be to use a cigarette lighter holder to keep the Ipod horizontal: http://www.amazon.com/iGrip-iPhone-h...782511&sr=8-30

Then when I park it I can just unplug it and put the entire holder into the rear center console.

Last edited by GammaZeta; 12-25-2011 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0