ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: Which iPhone connection option?
DICE MediaBridge + spec.dock 2 15.38%
DICE MediaBridge + ProClip 4 30.77%
BMW Aux cable + ProClip 1 7.69%
Other 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

08-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
ST Nathan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Help choosing an iPhone integration option

Alright folks, I need some advice.. preferably from people who have been there, but really any opinions might help.

I have an iPhone 3GS. I also have a 2003 Z4 3.0i roadster (with the business premium sound system - no nav). Right now the two aren't on speaking terms, but I'd like to change that!

From the research I've done, I've come up with a few options, but am really going back and forth trying to decide on one! So, here are my top picks right now:

1) DICE MediaBridge (w/ bluetooth option) + spec.dock ashtray mount.

I like the DICE because of the bluetooth option (so I can easily connect to the wife's or friend's phones, or even to mine if I don't feel like taking it out of my pocket to charge), and particularly since it has the option to keep the iPhone unlocked, so you can control things from there. I've read that the Intravee II has a better stereo-control interface, but no option to keep the iPhone unlocked. Since I just have the business stereo, I imagine controlling things like playlist or album selection through the stereo will be a pain with any system, so it seems like it will be easier to do that sort of stuff through the phone's interface.

2) DICE MediaBridge (w/ bluetooth option) + ProClip mount (www.proclipusa.com)

The ProClip option has a couple of seeming advantages over the spec.dock:
-The phone is in a more accessible location. If I plan to do some control through the phone itself, this will make things a lot easier. That's the main one.
-The spec.dock appears to have JUST enough space to fit an iPhone 3GS under the dash. What if the 'iPhone 5' is 2mm taller?
-The proclip comes in two parts - a vehicle attachment and a device attachment. If I get a different phone in the future, I can simply replace that half.
-it's about half the price

However, the two main disadvantages are
-it's not as slick. Might also get in the way of large passengers' knee room?
-it's less secure, since a visible mount could invite thieves. (Although I don't live in a high-crime area, so this isn't a HUGE concern.)

The thing is, I don't know how valid those potential advantages or disadvantages are. That's where I'm hoping some current users can weigh in.

3) BMW aux iPod connector + Scosche adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS696LL/A) + ProClip mount

If I'm going with the proclip mount, I wonder if it's worth it to go with the MediaBridge, given the potential issues it brings with it. Since the phone would be easily accessible for iPod control, I could just wire it straight to the stereo. I keep the important playback and charging functions and probably have higher reliability at a much reduced price.

If all I'm using the DICE for track skipping with the radio controls and bluetooth (which I wouldn't use the vast majority of the time since I would have the phone plugged in, and I'm guessing my bluetooth earpiece would be better for calls), is it really worth it?

SO, that's where I'm at! Please weigh in! Oh hey, let's add a poll... Please do still add your comments though. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Does the bluetooth function of the DICE unit enable you to use the steering wheel controls to answer the phone and place a call?

I am going through the same decision process for my iPhone 4s.

The iPhone 3gs is 115.5mm in height and the iPhone4s is 115.2 mm in height. So the 4s provides .3mm extra space. Not much, but it is a little shorter which would make one of your concerns with the SpecDock go away.

Also, I really wonder what the dash will look like after a few thousand miles with a pro-clip mounted phone bouncing around. I know they say it's secure but simple physics suggests that it wouldn't stay that way.

Any long-term reviews of the Pro-Clip out there?

Last edited by EenyBear; 11-26-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I had a ProClip mount on my MINI JCW for almost 3 years.

I can say that they are very stable and in that application, the way they mount it, there was zero signs of wear on the visible dash surface.

I bought one for the Z4 and won't hesitate to install it once the at arrives.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
mtayloruk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Did either of you make a decision - I'm in the same situation with an '04 3.0i and an iPhone 4G S, and would appreciate any insights you might have. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
I had a ProClip mount on my MINI JCW for almost 3 years.

I can say that they are very stable and in that application, the way they mount it, there was zero signs of wear on the visible dash surface.

I bought one for the Z4 and won't hesitate to install it once the at arrives.
I've got the ProClip mount, and two quick change brackets (adjustible smartphone and Garmin GPS ball).

Decided against putting it in the M Coupe as A) I have nav, and B) With the Intravee setup, I'm stowing the phone in the rear/center compartment.

If anyone is interested, check the ProClip site and see the price and make me an offer.
Appreciate 0