ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z4M Coupe

Sale Advice

Hi All,

I unfortunately will be putting up my Z4M for sale soon. Wanted your guys advice on how to optimize the sale process and get it ready for next owner. Here's what I have planned so far:

- I'm at 44.7k miles, so have the Inspection 1 scheduled first week of July. I will also get underbody pictures taken during the service
-order and get the one missing headlight washer painted/installed
-detail the car and photograph it

Anything else that I should look into? I've been looking at Z4MCBG, but prices are a bit over the place for this mileage(27-42k)

Thanks for all the advice and information. Hopefully I'll be back soon.
Jay
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Stock, at that mileage, it should bring a strong price. Some factors - how many owners? Fully documented history, including 1200-mile break-in service? Any paint or bodywork?
      06-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sell it on BAT, people pay ridiculous prices for cars on that site.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not so true for Z4's unfortunately.

OP, sorry to hear of you having to sell. I think the plan you laid out is good. When I was putting my 3.0si coupe up for sale I did pretty much what you have outlined. My target was a BaT-worthy presentation. I posted it for sale in a few forums before going the BaT route, and found a buyer.

Take A LOT of pictures, and post them online somewhere so prospective buyers can refer to them. You market is literally the whole country; people thousands of miles away need to feel comfortable before committing resources. Folks will ask about rod bearings and VANOS so be ready with answers there. Also if it's seen any track time. Be honest and open, and willing to provide extra pictures or information as requested. Most importantly, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Occasionally. I think the site really brings out the "right" buyers and now has a massive audience, but for niche cars like the Z4M, final hammer price can be all over the map because the "right" buyer for a particular car, this one included, can be elusive. I'm a HUGE fan, have been on the site for about a decade, to back in the day when it was nothing more than a blog that featured cars for sale elsewhere around the web, as referred by readers. A few years in they decided to get into auctions themselves, and it's been a wild success. First site I look at on a daily basis.
      06-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Occasionally. I think the site really brings out the "right" buyers and now has a massive audience, but for niche cars like the Z4M, final hammer price can be all over the map because the "right" buyer for a particular car, this one included, can be elusive. I'm a HUGE fan, have been on the site for about a decade, to back in the day when it was nothing more than a blog that featured cars for sale elsewhere around the web, as referred by readers. A few years in they decided to get into auctions themselves, and it's been a wild success. First site I look at on a daily basis.
We'll see what the '82 320i E21 goes for. I almost bought it in February from the 2nd owner. Some of the information posted by the seller on BAT is not correct.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stock, at that mileage, it should bring a strong price. Some factors - how many owners? Fully documented history, including 1200-mile break-in service? Any paint or bodywork?
It's "euro" stock right now, I had the headers installed alongside a modified section 1. Overall, market seems slow right now, despite being prime sports car season, so I doubt price will be very strong.

As far as service records, I have all the oil changes and maintenance records during my ownership, as well as the services done at the BMW dealer done by previous owner. To my knowledge no paint or body work done, none shows up on CarFax as well as all the VIN's are on body panels.

Quote:
Like others said, not always. My Z's spec is relatively boring: black paint, black interior, navigation, carbon leather. It's not super low miles either at 45k. I'm also the second owner having owned it for roughly 18 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsinghzzzz View Post
As far as service records, I have all the oil changes and maintenance records during my ownership, as well as the services done at the BMW dealer done by previous owner. To my knowledge no paint or body work done, none shows up on CarFax as well as all the VIN's are on body panels.
45k. I'm also the second owner having owned it for roughly 18 months.
Sounds like a pretty solid example to me and could/should do well.

But VINs on the body panels? Z4's never had them - that practice had ended by then. Can you elaborate?
      06-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #9
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
But VINs on the body panels? Z4's never had them - that practice had ended by then. Can you elaborate?
Take your back license plate off to see one of them. I'm not sure if there are more.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Quote:
Take your back license plate off to see one of them. I'm not sure if there are more.
Yea just double checked, no VIN's on the door panels, you guys were correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #11
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
That's the only one one on any Z4, other than the main ID sticker in the door jamb. The individually labeled panels died after the Z3.
wdb4718.00
      06-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
We'll see what the '82 320i E21 goes for. I almost bought it in February from the 2nd owner. Some of the information posted by the seller on BAT is not correct.
I just checked on BAT for what the 320i went for. It sold at $25,500 a few days ago. I had a chance to buy it in March 2019 from the 2nd owner. He was located in New Jersey, outside of Philly. He bought it from the original owner, who was in Philly and was a VW mechanic. The 2nd owner wasn't a BMW aficionado, but bought it a few years ago because the car was original and near perfect. He was selling it because he was downsizing his collection. The 2nd owner was selling it for $13,000. It sold on BAT for $25,500. The selling dealer on BAT flipped it and made $12,500. I had the same idea, and figured that's what someone would do with it. I didn't understand why the NJ owner didn't put it on BAT. It was worth $13,000; it was not worth $25,500 IMO.

I passed on it because I'd never drive it. I already have three BMWs and drive one over 800 miles a week to work; the other two sit a lot. I didn't need another old BMW to wrench on, even though I really love the E21. But I've found that the car's of the 1980's that I loved back in the day do not drive as well as I remember them driving in the era. It's an old man's thing I guess... LOL.
Appreciate 0