ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: Which spoiler style would you most likely to see produced first? One vote each.
Curve top side High Kick style with Overhang 2 4.76%
Gradual Sloppy top side style with Overhang (M4-ish) 18 42.86%
Curve top side High Kick style that Sit flush on top (M3-ish) 2 4.76%
Gradual Sloppy top side style Sits flush on top (Viper-ish) 19 45.24%
Any Other suggestion, please comment in your post 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

06-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Talking ###___Z4 COUPE Spoiler Poll___###

##################################

The long awaited coupe spoiler poll is finally here as promised!

Many have chimed in on the thread of the coupe spoiler design and show strong interest for this spoiler. We have finally gotten the OEM trunk piece custom cleared at the manufacturer's location. It should be on site sometime next week.

There're a few general consensus on the design of this spoiler and the majority of the owner would like to see the Carbon Fiber material to be produced. So it'll be the same high quality of the last Skyer roadster spoiler which everyone loved.

To finalized the design, we need some input from you guys. Since this will only be produced in a group buy format, all your input and comments will be considered.

Most of the group preferred a notch-in-the-middle design, similar to the current M4 MPE/Viper spoiler and the notch width should be proportional to the lines of the roof. The question is how it’ll sit on the trunk?
Will it be sitting more on top of the trunk or should it have some visible overhang? (M3 vs M4)

What should the degree of angle of this spoiler? High-kick curvy style (M3) or a more of 45 degree angle in relation to the horizon (Viper)?
Please cast your votes on the poll so we can start the prototype process and get these into your hand this summer!

Poll Options:
1. Curve top side High Kick style with Overhang
2. Gradual Sloping top side style with Overhang (M4)
3. Curve top side High Kick style that Sit flush on top (M3)
4. Gradual Sloping top side style Sits flush on top (Viper)
5. Other suggestions

Cast your vote!

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport

Last edited by ZeD4Mr; 09-14-2017 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Curve Top side with High Kick

Visible Overhang

Gradual Sloping Topside

Sit on Top Flush with none-obvious Overhang

I personally like how the M3 spoiler sits on the corner and almost flush to the back; with gradual sloppiness instead of the curvy high kick, with a notch in the middle. Essentially a BMW version of the Viper spoiler but enough curves to match the Coupe curvy lines.

Credits to milamookie

We are thinking about modifying the above design to have gradual sloping top side and with a none visible overhang. Similar to how the M3 spoiler sits/mounts. That should be an awesome spoiler.

Last edited by ZeD4Mr; 06-10-2017 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Super RESERVED 2

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Z4mHG
Rep
Drives: Silver grey Z4m Coupe

Count me in on the group buy. You guys are dedicated and amazing!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Boosted 1
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe, Gx470, M2 PE

OOOOOHHHHH VIPER
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

This one gets my vote.

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Oh yes!!!
      06-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

by reading descriptions is kinda hard to know what I'm voting for because the pictures below seem out of order? but the one the hack posted is the one!!
      06-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Shutterspeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Glad to see some progress in this department. Wish my plant could've produced the foam model quicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
I'll be honest I'd take either one to get rid of my mini tekacarbon and fill it in with something more noticeable
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #12
zurus
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: IB M coupe

Overhang looks better imo
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

I like the one Hack posted... notches on the top and on the bottom. It doesn't sit right on top of the decklid, it sits half on top and half behind the trunklid. But, it should curl around the edges more than the M4, because obviously our truck doesn't have the parting line at the rear quarter like that car does. The Milamookie spoiler shows the extended curl.

The most important thing is to get as close to OEM quality as you can... there really are no bad choices here.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

If I were buying one, I would want something very subtle. Not a giant kick up at the rear. So I guess that's the m4 style. I would want it relatively short too.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #15
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCoupe View Post
If I were buying one, I would want something very subtle. Not a giant kick up at the rear. So I guess that's the m4 style. I would want it relatively short too.
But the very subtle version had already been made by Tekarbon?
      06-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
Boosted 1
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe, Gx470, M2 PE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
But the very subtle version had already been made by Tekarbon?
Agree. The only reason I want a new one is to be more aggressive and taller than my tekarbon!

The one in milamookies rendering is damn near perfect
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #17
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M View Post
by reading descriptions is kinda hard to know what I'm voting for because the pictures below seem out of order? but the one the hack posted is the one!!
It's hard to put the final design together without showing all the options. It's a bit confusing since it'll be the combination of some of the posted pictures. The final version that we envisioned doesn't currently exist. I guess it'll be much more obvious when the prototype mock up comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurus View Post
Overhang looks better imo
I think the overhang looks better, too; however, we don't have a trunk line like all the picture posted above so a gradual integrated mount will be our goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I like the one Hack posted... notches on the top and on the bottom. It doesn't sit right on top of the decklid, it sits half on top and half behind the trunklid. But, it should curl around the edges more than the M4, because obviously our truck doesn't have the parting line at the rear quarter like that car does. The Milamookie spoiler shows the extended curl.

The most important thing is to get as close to OEM quality as you can... there really are no bad choices here.
I totally agree with you regarding the cut-off trunk line since we don't have those lines. Both ends of the spoiler need to extended further out than the M4 ones and essentially with similar curve shape finishing toward both sides. We all agreed to have the top notch on the spoiler; however, the bottom notch is debatable since our trunk has 3 parts to it. The top surface, the sloping surface and the vertical surface which holds the 3rd brake light. There might not be enough surface on the sloping part of the trunk to create the shape of the bottom notch that'll look good. It'll be determined during mock up. The quality and finishing will be "top-notch" like the roadster ones and we'll test fit each spoiler on the OE trunk before ship out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted 1 View Post
Agree. The only reason I want a new one is to be more aggressive and taller than my tekarbon!

The one in milamookies rendering is damn near perfect
I agree with you on the rendering. The general shape will be similar to it; however, it's how it'll sits on the trunk that is up in the air until prototype mock up.

I see the general consensus so far is a no-go on the high-kick style, which we personally don't prefer anyway. It should follow the original design cues with reference points to the body line of the whole car. It'll be more of an enhancement than an after thought.

Keep your votes and comments coming. I made some mistake on the wording of the voting options. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to edit them.

All good stuff guys and we are very excited!

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Awesome to see this happening. My vote is to have something more aggressive than Tekarbon. Glad you decided to do C/F 2/2 weave. A medium to high kick is my preference, similar to my CAD file. A notch is a must or else it will look a bit heavy, the notch breaks up the lines a bit. In a top down view it should follow the body lines. Not sure if I would like it to waterfall over the trunk edge, I'd be concerned with fitment if it were to waterfall. Whatever design is chosen count me in!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #19
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Crap, accidentally voted for the M4ish when I meant to vote for the Viperish. Oh well, I'd be good with either.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamookie View Post
Awesome to see this happening. My vote is to have something more aggressive than Tekarbon. Glad you decided to do C/F 2/2 weave. A medium to high kick is my preference, similar to my CAD file. A notch is a must or else it will look a bit heavy, the notch breaks up the lines a bit. In a top down view it should follow the body lines. Not sure if I would like it to waterfall over the trunk edge, I'd be concerned with fitment if it were to waterfall. Whatever design is chosen count me in!
Fitment would be an issue, definitely. I also think the "waterfall" would have the potential of trapping water...would hate to have acid or salt water trapped in there for who knows how long.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #21
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

I think the overhang requires a sharp trunk edge. So the overhang can wrap around the edge. The z4m coupe has a thick trunk edge similar to e90 sedan whose oe spoiler sits flush. Im intrigued by the cool overhang look but unsure if it'll fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Thought I'd share this with the group, its info I have supplied ZeD4Mr to help guide the Design. Don't forget i was working to a rough cloud scan that i did on my car using an iPad scanner so it not accurate down to the millimeter but it should give people more of an idea of what it will look like. Hopefully this will help those on the fence as to whether they want to get in on the group buy or not. Personally I'm pretty geeked about this!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Vk?usp=sharing
Appreciate 2
Cyclops1473.00