ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Exhaust Help! RE Diablo vs Supersprint Race

Hi all,

I've looked the exhaust guide which is helpful, but was hoping to have some input from owners of both systems.

My current set up:
-Euro headers (not yet installed) with OEM US section 1
-RE X Pipe
-OEM mufflers

Looking for something that's relatively quiet when cruising with minimal drone or rasp, and loud when I want it. Also want a system that looks good aesthetically- I ruled out Stromungs since in my opinion the tips stick too far out. The RE Diablos look amazing from outside the car.

With that in mind, would the RE Diablos or SS Race be better for what I'm looking for? Any other systems I should consider? I looked at Eisenmann Race and Arqray, but those are a but more than I want to spend. I'm nervous about drone with the RE Diablos- is the SS race any better?

RE Diablos:

SS Race:
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
IMHO, both RE Diablos or SS Race will drone bad. I had SS Race (everything else stock) on my car all but a week before pulling them off. SS Powerloops would be your alternate if you don't like the looks of Stromungs, but those will set you back similarly to Eisenmann or Arqray

FYI - the SS Race tips stick out quite a bit too, if not more than Stromungs. I may have pictures of it on my car on here somewhere if you search.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Get the RE Diablos and learn to love the roar!!
      02-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
Hi all,

I've looked the exhaust guide which is helpful, but was hoping to have some input from owners of both systems.

My current set up:
-Euro headers (not yet installed) with OEM US section 1
-RE X Pipe
-OEM mufflers

Looking for something that's relatively quiet when cruising with minimal drone or rasp, and loud when I want it. Also want a system that looks good aesthetically- I ruled out Stromungs since in my opinion the tips stick too far out. The RE Diablos look amazing from outside the car.

With that in mind, would the RE Diablos or SS Race be better for what I'm looking for? Any other systems I should consider? I looked at Eisenmann Race and Arqray, but those are a but more than I want to spend. I'm nervous about drone with the RE Diablos- is the SS race any better?

RE Diablos:

SS Race:
Stay far, far away from the Rogue cans with these requirements. I've got them (with CPI headers, DKF S1 with high flow cats installed, and Rogue X-Pipe) and it is very loud, all of the time. The nice thing with the Rogue exhaust is they do have a deeper rumble than the other systems out there (my current setup is nearly rasp-less), but you have to be prepared for the volume.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

....does it sound awesome?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
IMHO, both RE Diablos or SS Race will drone bad. I had SS Race (everything else stock) on my car all but a week before pulling them off. SS Powerloops would be your alternate if you don't like the looks of Stromungs, but those will set you back similarly to Eisenmann or Arqray

FYI - the SS Race tips stick out quite a bit too, if not more than Stromungs. I may have pictures of it on my car on here somewhere if you search.
+1

SS Race and RE Diablos are a small step away from RPi's, definitely on the wrong end of the spectrum if you want quiet cruising.

On the quieter end, you have Eisenmann Sport, Stromung, SS Powerloops, and Remus which should be pretty livable when cruising - but sound aggressive when on it (especially with your headers/x-pipe combo).

Alternatively you may be able to slightly mod the OE exhaust for a more cost effective alternative, but IMO it doesn't sound quite as refined compared to an OE exhaust mod on something like the E9X M3 platform.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

Another vote on staying away from RE Diablos on your setup.

I had RE Diablos before doing euro headers and absolutely LOVED them. After I did headers however, it was simply way too loud for me, and would drone between 1800-2500 rpm. Did it sound awesome? Yes, it sounded glorious. HOWEVER I also DD the car in the warm months and it was just too much for day to day use.

I ended up getting stromungs, requesting that they install the E9x M3 tips instead, and could not be happier. No real drone when cruising, and no tinny/raspy grossness that often comes with aftermarket exhaust setups.

YMMV though, as I am still on stock x pipe and have a modded US section 1 for O2 sensors and EGT

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pic of the stromungs installed on my M for reference:
Attached Images

2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
Azeka1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Garage List
I have Rogue Diablos with Rogue X-Pipe, Super Sprint Headers and OEM Section 1. Tons of Drone and - like others have noted - one step down of only RPI cans. Sounds great when you're on it but I do get annoyed with the drone during longer distance drives.

Super Spring Power Loops might be your best choice.
1995 E36 M3 | BMW CCA Club Racer - IP #34 | Gray / Blue / Orange | 261WHP | 2,700lbs
2013 E92 M3 Competition 6MT Slick Top | AW / Fox Red |
2006 E86 M Coupe | Silver Gray / Imola | JRZ RSTWO | APR Aero | Sparco Seats/Belts | Weichers Cage
Gone: 2017 Audi Q7 | 2011 E93 328i 6MT | 2014 Audi A6 | 2010 VW CC 2.0T | 2011 G37 S Coupe 6MT | 2004 G35 Coupe | SW20 MR2 Widebody Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Yeah, like.. don't put a race exhaust system on a car you don't want to be obnoxiously loud, I guess?

Check out Remus as well, I think they're the best-sounding cans available for the Z4M. I haven't owned or run them but a few folks around here have.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns_e85 View Post
Pic of the stromungs installed on my M for reference:
Hm, that's a neat solution. Do you have any more pics by chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #12
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfwalters View Post
Yeah, like.. don't put a race exhaust system on a car you don't want to be obnoxiously loud, I guess?

Check out Remus as well, I think they're the best-sounding cans available for the Z4M. I haven't owned or run them but a few folks around here have.
Remus is really tame, just barely louder than stock. Most people didn't even realized I had an aftermarket exhaust when I ran them
      02-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hm, that's a neat solution. Do you have any more pics by chance?
A few more I did end up fixing the droop after the pictures were taken
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Not to beat a dead horse (but not caring if I do), but I've got both SS Race and RE Diablos on my M's. They will not meet your requirements and are LOUD all the time.

Catless headers ramp up the volume further, and with high flow cats (DKF s-pipe or SS s-pipe), everyone within 1/4 mile will know if your throttle pedal position changed by 1/4".

RE Diablos have more rasp, and they sound meaner at low rpm. It's like you're driving a tyrannosaurus. The SS Race have less rasp and have less character around town. At high rpm though, they emit an F1-like howl that has to be one of the best-sounding Z4M exhausts out there. I prefer RE Diablos 80% of the time, and SS Race when I want to drive at 5k+ rpm.

They are both mild with otherwise stock systems IMHO, where they drone but it's tolerable. RE Diablos sound tougher, and SS Race sound like a slightly louder stock system with a subwoofer.

I don't recommend either setup for your requirements. They will both be loud and drone like C-130.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #15
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jns_e85 View Post
A few more I did end up fixing the droop after the pictures were taken
That Stromungs with E9x M3 tips look really good. I was contemplating getting that setup until I found out that those E9x M3 tips were 89mm and would be really tough to fit properly. But the regular 76mm tips look on the smaller size. Really wished Stromungs have something in between - like 84mm or 85mm range would have been perfect!

The Eisenmann 84mm tips are perfect IMHO
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Get the RE Diablos and learn to love the roar!!
+1 Agreed

You really don't need to overthink this.

RE Diablos, as well as any other loud exhaust, will only drone if you are driving the S54 in the wrong gear.

Simple fix; don't.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #17
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

Ended up ordering the Remus exhaust. My fear is it will be too quiet- but it looks great, and I think pairing it with the CSL headers and Rogue X Pipe should help turn up the volume. Besides, I'll probably want to listen to my Evolve airbox more once I have it installed!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:43 AM   #18
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
They're based in UK but maybe this might be an option for someone who wants some civility and nice sound up top? https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94382 No personal experience with it though.
      03-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #19
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

Have to say I'm pretty happy with the Remus so far! Paired with the RE X Pipe, there is absolutely zero drone and the car is quiet during cruising and idle. It is much louder though when applying throttle, with a deeper tone than stock. Definitely a bit louder than I thought it would be based on the reviews here. As the reviews noted, the exhaust does actually get louder as it warms up.

I imagine once I get the CSL headers installed it should sound perfect to me. As is, I still get some nice burbles and pops on decel. Fitment was spot on- the tips aren't too big or too small.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Have to say I'm pretty happy with the Remus so far! Paired with the RE X Pipe, there is absolutely zero drone and the car is quiet during cruising and idle. It is much louder though when applying throttle, with a deeper tone than stock. Definitely a bit louder than I thought it would be based on the reviews here. As the reviews noted, the exhaust does actually get louder as it warms up.

I imagine once I get the CSL headers installed it should sound perfect to me. As is, I still get some nice burbles and pops on decel. Fitment was spot on- the tips aren't too big or too small.
Glad to hear this. Before I decided to go full moron on my car, the Remus cans were my top choice for the Z4M. FWIW I had a set of Remus cans on a turbo Subaru I built many years ago and completely loved the way they sounded.

How did you find the build quality, in general?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfwalters View Post
Glad to hear this. Before I decided to go full moron on my car, the Remus cans were my top choice for the Z4M. FWIW I had a set of Remus cans on a turbo Subaru I built many years ago and completely loved the way they sounded.

How did you find the build quality, in general?
Build quality overall is very nice, which isn't surprising since I believe Remus is an OEM supplier for a few companies. The welds look perfect and it arrived packaged very nicely. The tips are very nicely aligned with the bumper and just stick out a smidge. No leaks or anything like that and it mated perfectly to the Rogue X Pipe.

There was some weirdness- they mounted a bracket near the exhaust hangers that require you to smush the rubber hanger. I read some other people actually cut it off. If you have a set you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to get the right side tips to angle perfectly, although that may just be user error.

The best part is definitely the sound- it just sounds high quality- zero drone and a nice wail when you get on it. I'll have to update once I get the headers installed (tomorrow!).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #22
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, CSL headers are in. All I can say is it sounds awesome. Still no drone from the Remus mufflers, but a lot more volume at throttle and lots of lovely gurgles and pops on decel. It absolutely screams on the way to redline but is still very quiet around town. Rev matching is just lovely.

Definitely recommend this set up. I haven't heard the other exhuasts in person, but I don't see a downside- quiet when you want it, and loud when you want it.
Appreciate 0