ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Arrow Passenger speaker rattle, possibly blown?

Searched but to no avail. I've been getting a rattle type noise that's been 1 - driving me nucking futs and 2 - getting worse with time. Only happens with real low bass.

I've removed the speaker cover behind the pass seat and looked for something loose, but unfortunately seems as if it's coming from the speaker itself. Just emailed myself a recording of it, I will try to upload it here.

I removed the 4 Allen screws surrounding the speaker itself but that didn't help me get anywhere so I put them back. Has anyone else had this issue and/or does anyone know if this is something that I can fix myself or is a new speaker needed? I don't mind digging in and getting dirty, but don't want to risk breaking something and then it's not covered. Also rather not be without my baby for a few days or have some techs messin with her either you know?

Thanks in advance..
      06-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

does it LOOK blown? Have you singled out where the rattle is coming from?
      06-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

Nope, doesn't look blown to me anyway. Blown would be either torn up or drippy looking right? Pardon my ignorance.

Here is what it sounds like...

*edit: Nm, photobucket degraded the quality and you can't hear it properly. I will email a sound clip to anyway willing to take a listen.

Oh, and to answer your other question roffle - yes, seems like it's coming from the speaker itself. If I touch or just put my finger on the actual speaker cone itself during a bass note that normally makes the rattle, the rattle disappears.
      06-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

then, yeah, I'd look for a replacement from someone who's parting out a car
      06-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
then, yeah, I'd look for a replacement from someone who's parting out a car
Car's still under warranty, so I'll take it to the dealer if that's the case.
      08-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: z4mc

I'm fighting with the exact same thing. Dealer replaced sub and it was somewhat better but has slowly been getting worse.

I highly suspect it is actually a bad amplifier. I've noticed that if I turn the volume WAY up that it actually sounds fine. It's almost as if whatever separate amp that powers the subs is underpowered until you get past a certain volume level.

Some frequencies make it seem much worse. I was really hoping the amp would fail, but it looks like I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump for any other info/input

I'm about to take mine in for this, it's pretty tough to duplicate; I believe because it only affects very low frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

They replaced my sub/speaker/whateverucallit behind the pass seat and it's been fine since.

Now my passenger door speaker has been shifty. Hmm...
      10-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
They replaced my sub/speaker/whateverucallit behind the pass seat and it's been fine since.

Now my passenger door speaker has been shifty. Hmm...
Hmm.. Mine was perfect for about 3 months and slowly went downhill from there until month 5 or 6 where it sounds about half-blown. I need to find a good cd or song that duplicates the problem before going in.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Bayonet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatron View Post
Hmm.. Mine was perfect for about 3 months and slowly went downhill from there until month 5 or 6 where it sounds about half-blown. I need to find a good cd or song that duplicates the problem before going in.
Same thing happened to mine...its only a matter of time before it goes bye bye and starts rattling with any pleasurable amount of bass.

for a song... Wiz Khalifa - On my level seems to do the trick for me everytime when I was taking it into shops to consult/help me find a replacement.

Im just going to replace the ones behind the seats with some good 6.5 mids and add the real bass to my trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Hmm... I didn't know audio systems were covered. My CD player is acting up and I get frequent errors. Would that be covered? I've got an '08 with 17000 miles so plenty of original warranty left.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
My rear subs are so bouncy its stupid. Definitely an amp issue. Ive been holding off because I hate the idea of someone ripping up the rear of the coupe. At low level its horrible distortion. The louder I go the better it sounds. CD,radio.Ipod they all sound bad at a low comfortable listening level. Guess I need to bite the bullet. Warranty runs out in August.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Uncle Russ
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Garage List
I was having serious noise problems with the CD player and the right knob was very jittery when I used it to interface with the nav system. My dealer replaced it without any hassle. The new unit has significantly better knobs and sounds great, too. I use a homemade mp3 data disc with it and it works great. Can't even remember the last time I listened to the radio or AUX port. :-)
      07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
Same thing happened to mine...its only a matter of time before it goes bye bye and starts rattling with any pleasurable amount of bass.

for a song... Wiz Khalifa - On my level seems to do the trick for me everytime when I was taking it into shops to consult/help me find a replacement.

Im just going to replace the ones behind the seats with some good 6.5 mids and add the real bass to my trunk.

Just another bump for this thread.

Mine also only happens at low volumes as well. I'm convinced it's an amp issue but the dealer is insisting that they are all like this.....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatron View Post
Just another bump for this thread.

Mine also only happens at low volumes as well. I'm convinced it's an amp issue but the dealer is insisting that they are all like this.....
My dealer said the same thing. Didn't want to be an ass and push it farther. They do good work and wouldn't want them to take it out on my car. Still sucks balls though. Mine sounds like shit.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0