ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
AlphaM911
Rep
Drives: 2005 Acura RSX-S

Question E85 z4 Manual convertible roof?

I am in the market for an e85 Z4 3.0i.
There are a few options I MUST have like:
-6 spd manual trans
-Sport package

And of course an automatic convertible roof.
It was not until today that I realized the auto roof was an option!

My questions are:
1. How can I tell if it's a manual roof? (I looked at pics of a few z4s for sale and I noticed that there are 6 buttons. The first and last buttons for heated seats and the next two buttons for the roof.)

2. Would manual roof z4s have less buttons? (which means I cam identify it in pictures. Just like how the sport package gives you an extra button to the left of the shift knob).

3. Are virtually all z4s auto roofs? (just like how v6 cayennes are standard w/a manual tranny but 99% of v6 cayennes are equipt w/the optional tiptronic trans.

4. I'm assuming I should have to worry about this because if I'm buying a z4 with the sport package, the original owner most likely added the auto roof upgrade as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by AlphaM911; 04-22-2011 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

You'll be hard pressed to find a manual roof Z4. Premium package included the automatic roof as well. I doubt the manual one would have buttons.

AFAIK the manual roof has a lighter headliner so it's not very well insulated and thus the automatic rood was a "must have".

It's an E85 BTW.

I'm sure if you search through the forums you'll find more info on the topic. Good luck finding a good car.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
AlphaM911
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerRrari View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find a manual roof Z4. Premium package included the automatic roof as well. I doubt the manual one would have buttons.

AFAIK the manual roof has a lighter headliner so it's not very well insulated and thus the automatic rood was a "must have".

It's an E85 BTW.

I'm sure if you search through the forums you'll find more info on the topic. Good luck finding a good car.
Thanks! Yea, I only found one link with not much info on the manual roof.

I wonder what the lower console looks like w/o the buttons for the roof.
      04-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaM911 View Post
Thanks! Yea, I only found one link with not much info on the manual roof.

I wonder what the lower console looks like w/o the buttons for the roof.
It just has less buttons as you suggested. The power roof has two buttons with pict-o-grams left of center. I attached a photo to help. A manual roof would not have these buttons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
T-Bears42.50
      04-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
AlphaM911
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
It just has less buttons as you suggested. The power roof has two buttons with pict-o-grams left of center. I attached a photo to help. A manual roof would not have these buttons.
Ok awesome. It's just as I thought. I notice the lack of the premium package (missing heated seats) button from that pic.
There would be only two buttons. I just needed to make sure.
Thanks!
      04-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

I think auto tops were standard on 06 . I have a manual top but they seem to be fairly rare
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
I think auto tops were standard on 06 . I have a manual top but they seem to be fairly rare
They weren't standard, but most dealers ordered cars for the lot with the Premium Package, which includes the power roof. To get a Z4 without it, you pretty much had to order it. From what I've read, there was only ONE M Roadster ordered this way. When I planned to order an M Roadster, I was going to get a manual roof and manual seats, saving over 100lbs of weight on the car; then the rebates happened and it wasn't cost effective.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
bprice2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4

Hello zra
I have an 05 Z4 with a manual top but it does not latch down when in the down position and tends to blow up 2 to 3" when driving with the top down it was this way when I purchaced the car I would love to see a picture of the latching mechanisim I took it to the dealership and they told me a small part is missing and they want 1000 to repair it you are the only other manual top I have found any help you could give would be great. Thanks Bill
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

its probally the lock mechanism for the top. take pics and post. if its the part im thinking of... it should run sub 60.00 and take 30 minutes to put in. it is definitely a dyi job.

Last edited by jra; 05-21-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I think that you can find premium package cars without heated seats. And not all of them came with cruise control. Check that the car has a second short stalk on the left of the steering column. That is the cruise control's lever.

Also, even if your car has the multi-function steering wheel with the buttons for the radio and telephone (R-T), the car may not have bluetooth feature. You can check for it by pressing the R-T button. If the car has a bluetooth module, after pressing that button, the radio display will chage to `SEARCHING.....``, meaning it is looking for a cell phone to pair with.

Good luck

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #11
ke4zzy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Manual or Auto Top?

Funny thing is that I just purchased this 2004 Z4 2.5i Automatic and it has the pic shown above...
I didn't even think about it being auto, I've just simply been raising it and lowering it manually but using the buttons to lock it and unlock it down.

No Sport Button, No Cruise Control, No Bluetooth

When the top is in the closed position, I can press the close button and it will lower the windows half and complete the closing procedure. Mine you...the top had been replaced and is heavy.
Also.. The radio has no Bluetooth although the car came equipped with the steering wheel buttons.. I have the R/T and the talk button on my steering wheel. There is no Cruise Control. There is no Fog Lights. It loks like a base model but they left a few thing in place as sort of a "Just in case"

How would I check to see if this car was ever equipped with the Auto option for the roof? Other than the buttons being there to raise and lower. Or in my case Lock and Unlock.

The picture listed earlier is identical to my car.

Last edited by ke4zzy; 07-16-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Do you hear a whirring noise when you press and hold the roof button?

Do you have a round handle on the upper windshield frame to disengage the roof locks? It’s possible that your car ha the power top and it has been bypassed for manual operation after the top motor failed.

You could put your VIN into a bmw VIN decoder to see how the car was equipped from the factory. Like:

https://www.mdecoder.com/

Here is what mine says:

Environment And Safety
S354 Windscreen, Green-Tinted Upper Strip
S350 BMW Composite Wheel, Star Spoke 108
S853 Language Version, English
S876 Radio Frequency 315 MHz
S823 Hot-Climate Version
S8SP Control Unit COP
S399 Softtop, Electromech. All-Autom.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 07-17-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Manual roof guy here. Correct there are no buttons. Also the manual roof has a large grab handle on the top where it latches. I get that an electronic roof is more luxurious, but I can put the roof up or down in 2 seconds at whatever speed I decide is okay not the system. And I don't have to worry about any hydraulic motors going wrong. Very simple system, I wouldn't have any other way on a roadster. On a 2+2 it makes sense. Unless I had shoulder issues or something. The only downside is the manual tops used a thinner fabric, but again I don't drive it in the winter so it doesn't matter.
Appreciate 0