ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/300 cell cats + SS X-Pipe + Remus Review

As per the title, sorry for it to be too long

I recently purchased a set of REMUS mufflers from the classifieds, I went wiht REMUS as I had heard they were very mild and almost like the factory mufflers in terms of sound and just a bit more volume, well WHAT A LIE!!!!

With my setup they are LOUD as hell, they certainly do not drone, or not much, it is more of a volume issue, also the tone is very aggressive and tends to be tiny, they are so loud that they mask the induction noise of the Karbonious intake!!!!

I have not been able to record audio clip, but watch this video, he had the same setup except his X-Pipe was from RE, but that would make no difference if you ask me (I had both!).

when I first bought the car, it had DFK with 100cel cats, RE X-Pipe and Stromung, which I sold and replaced with the OE mufflers, I even tried and changed the RE X-Pipe for a SS thinking it could help as I had read the RE pipe may be louder. So to summarize my setups...

1. EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/100 cell cats + RE X-Pipe Review + Stromung = mid-high volume but a lot of drone in the 2-3k rpm range

2. EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/100 cell cats + RE X-Pipe + OE Mufflers = low volume, no drone, but a little deeper tone due to non-resonated X-Pipe

3. EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/100 cell cats + SS X-Pipe + OE Mufflers = Same as #2 (no change)

4. EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/300 cell cats + SS X-Pipe + OE Mufflers = Same as #2 (no change)

5. EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/300 cell cats + SS X-Pipe + Remus = F...k!! Very loud, high volume (masks CSL induction), but no drone. is so loud I feel ashame and everyone looks at you after 4k rpm!!!

Below is my next trial

6. EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/300 cell cats + OE X-Pipe + Remus, I hope this lowers the tone and volume, but I don't have high hopes as the resonator is rather small, tiny actually.

So, anyone that says REMUS is quite, needs and earing check!

Watch at 5:24

In fact, they make fun how quiet the exhaust is throughout the video

Last edited by maupineda; 08-21-2020 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Just to confirm, to run the euro headers you need to have a tune that eliminates the CEL correct?

And then both sets of O2's thread into the euro header with no cats? The catted section further back is still in place but the O2's aren't interacting with these, correct?

Hope that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
OP - Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but when people (including myself) says Remus is quiet, they are comparing it to the stock setup. It is the most quiet aftermarket cans you can buy if you only want a slight bump from stock (+10% in volume and a bit more bassy tone). If your setup is already LOUD with OE mufflers, no doubt it will be LOUDER with Remus. NOBODY LIED to you!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
OP - Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but when people (including myself) says Remus is quiet, they are comparing it to the stock setup. It is the most quiet aftermarket cans you can buy if you only want a slight bump from stock (+10% in volume and a bit more bassy tone). If your setup is already LOUD with OE mufflers, no doubt it will be LOUDER with Remus. NOBODY LIED to you!
I am not being sarcastic, I am just debunking a myth, My car is quite as in quite with the OE mufflers (I think you missed this part where I said volume is low with the OE cans), and loud as in loud with the REMUS. all things equal with the only change being the mufflers.

I can tell you the Remus are LOUDER than Stromung, I had them both so I know for sure, no one told me, is my own experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Hey that's my old car!

I actually really liked the exhaust set up. Lots of gurgle and pops on overrun..

If I had to do it again though I would have installed the Remus first to the stock X pipe and make a decision from that point. Instead I already had the Rogue X pipe installed when the Remus arrived.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

It all comes down to the factory resonated x pipe. It is a must to keep volume, rasp and drone down. It's too bad there aren't any aftermarket resonated x pipes available for our platform.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
Hey that's my old car!

I actually really liked the exhaust set up. Lots of gurgle and pops on overrun..

If I had to do it again though I would have installed the Remus first to the stock X pipe and make a decision from that point. Instead I already had the Rogue X pipe installed when the Remus arrived.
Your car was phenomenal!!!! are you missing it?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
It all comes down to the factory resonated x pipe. It is a must to keep volume, rasp and drone down. It's too bad there aren't any aftermarket resonated x pipes available for our platform.
I was thinking just that, there is none. The car is my weekend toy, so I may leave it as is for some time, but really not being able to hear the carbon airbox gets me
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
I am not being sarcastic, I am just debunking a myth, My car is quite as in quite with the OE mufflers (I think you missed this part where I said volume is low with the OE cans), and loud as in loud with the REMUS. all things equal with the only change being the mufflers.

I can tell you the Remus are LOUDER than Stromung, I had them both so I know for sure, no one told me, is my own experience.
I guessed a lot of us needs to get our ears checked, then. These guys also thought Remus was quiet...so I guessed everyone's LOUD is subjective

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:

I guessed a lot of us needs to get our ears checked, then. These guys also thought Remus was quiet...so I guessed everyone's LOUD is subjective

lol.. loud is subjective.. I think some guy on this forum selling his Rpi and said it's too quiet..

and if you bought some parts and picked up from a buddies house, sneaking back home without wife knowing at 3am, everything is too loud..

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 1
XMetal1125.00
      06-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #11
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
I concur. My BMS cat back was too loud. The drone was unbearable. I put the OE X pipe back on and it now sounds good with the Magnaflow 5 x 8 mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Your headers, section 1 and X-pipe modifications are contributing the majority of any noise experienced. Changing the mufflers is going to do very little overall, as you have proven.

I have also found certain setups (including mine) sound a lot louder in the drivers seat than they do to a passerby 100ft away.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Your headers, section 1 and X-pipe modifications are contributing the majority of any noise experienced. Changing the mufflers is going to do very little overall, as you have proven.

I have also found certain setups (including mine) sound a lot louder in the driver's seat than they do to a passerby 100ft away.
Again, you missed the point I made in the original post, with the OE cans, sound is normal, and quite... if any, a bit deeper in tone, but volume is rather low. If I had good volume with the OE cans I would of not looked into getting aftermarket cans. to put it clearer

1. OE Cans too quite
2. Remus... f'ing loud

I need something in between...

So based on other users' comments, it seems I do need to put the OE X-Pipe back on and test if I like it as I had thought.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #14
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I need something in between...

So based on other users' comments, it seems I do need to put the OE X-Pipe back on and test if I like it as I had thought.
25lb (each) stock cans will do that. Almost all aftermarket mufflers are a drastic change from stock in weight, tone, volume, etc - except perhaps Eisenmann. Different combinations can also change where the drone (if any) and volume presents. I am sure you are familiar with this thread https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...ust+comparison

Helps shed light on interior, exhaust tip and passerby noise levels. In most platforms I try to stick to a cohesive exhaust setup from one manufacturer that intended the pieces to work together - obviously that is hard to do on the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:24 PM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I’m running euro section 1, dkf 100, stock x and power loops. It was borderline drone initially, adding sound insulation helped a bit but the biggest change came from gearing.

With recent addition of 4.10s, not only am I’m not coasting in that lower range anymore but I find myself more in that sweet spot where the Supersprint cans really sing.

But I’ve also said before, coupe and roadster acoustics are very different and I think the coupe hatch introduced more unwanted drone.
      06-18-2020, 11:42 PM   #16
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
...but really not being able to hear the carbon airbox gets me
I find this surprising, as I can pretty clearly hear my carbon airbox with my setup (which I would assume is louder). What also helps is revving it out, as the exhaust gets quieter but the induction gets louder as you climb the tach

I've actually found my own 'sweet spot' for my taste with the sound, so while I could probably shed some weight and gain some ponies changing the Section 1 and/or X-Pipe, I don't want to lose the sound.
Fabspeed Headers (Euro replica) -> OEM North American Section 1 w/ cats -> OEM X-Pipe -> RPi Exhaust (most of the time with silencers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
...except perhaps Eisenmann...
Just like to add, for the Eisenmann Sport (Race would be louder) it was very tame/quiet. I had that for a little bit paired with full OEM setup and it was almost unnoticeable, IMO how the car should have come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
But I’ve also said before, coupe and roadster acoustics are very different and I think the coupe hatch introduced more unwanted drone.
This^^ actually made more of a difference than I thought it would. If I remember correctly, my personal experience was below, ordered from quietest/least drone to loudest/most drone when heard from the cabin. Basing this on OEM setup + RPi in all scenarios.

Z4MR top down -> Z4MC -> Z4MR top up
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm not doubting your perceptions on the Remus cans. They do sound loud outside and in the cabin in the video.

Finding the right mix for our cars is tricky stuff. There isn't a fully tuned system out there other than the annoyingly almost not there "sound" of the stock system. The question of "loud" isn't as simple as it seems and gets complicated with other mods. Coupe vs. Roadster* acoustics play a role, as do interior levels vs. exterior sound levels. Also critically important are the rev ranges in play and amount of throttle and the frequency range the system operates in.

In terms of absolute db (see pic) Remus is one of the mildest aftermarket can option out there. However, unlike the stock cans or Eisenmann Sport, Remus sound pressure levels really jump under heavy throttle in the higher rev ranges. But absolute numbers don't tell the whole story...

Rev range and exhaust frequency/resonance in the case of the Remus are huge. Looking at the data for the first time in years, and having experienced more exhaust systems—especially modern muscle cars—the absolute numbers we measured at these exhaust fest events do not account forperceived sound levels.

We didn't acquire data on the frequency ranges being measured for each system. Humans are most sensitive to frequency ranges between 2k and 5k hz. Clearly we missed measuring a variable...as frequencies go into the traditional "bass" range the db are felt more than heard.

For example, the Eisenmann/Rogue combo is close in terms of heavy throttle in absolute Db numbers, but the Eisenmann system is much deeper in tone. More like a muscle car with sound in the lower frequencies. I don't have the equip to measure but subjectively the Eisenmann is more in the bass than midrange, and the frequencies in play probably fall below the 2K level than "hear" it.

If Remus is too loud, the options I see are:

Remus + Stock X-Pipe (your next test)
Remus + Stock X-Pipe and Euro cat (or Section I US with modified O2 bungs, I know where you might find one )
Stock muffler + Rogue X pipe + DKF pieces and headers
Stock muffler + stock x-pipe + DKF pieces and headers
Eisenmann Sport + x pipe + Euro cat (or Section I US)

Having a more cat density upstream is probably the biggest factor outside of exhaust resonance/frequency ranges.

* All of the cars measured at the Exhaust Fest series in '12 and '13 were coupes, so I have no basis for a 1/1 comparison on same setups roady and coupe. All the measurements were taken with the same equip same placement same day same person measuring.

Note: I'll second that the Eisenmann Sport is also very tame/quiet paired with an entirely stock system. The deeper tone was more to my liking that the Remus. Both really need the x-pipe to come alive. The Stromung paired with a stock system sounds great, and although the measured numbers are higher at WOT interior than the Eisenmann Sport + X-pipe, subjectively they seem the same. I have access to a car with an Eisenmann Sport + X-pipe as a baseline for comparison.
Attached Images

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-08-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 4
maupineda455.50
XMetal1125.00
David701567.00
      07-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #18
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^Thanks for the very informative post! it makes sense as it describes the perception I get with my setup. I have driven under a bridge at WOT and I swear it is loud on the outside as well, but I do agree the sound has frequencies in a range were is more annoying to the human earing.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

YW. I'm glad it was helpful and ties to your perceptions of the sound experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
I just read the part of your post about the sound being tinny. This is precisely the part of sound that the resonator in the X-Pipe is designed to calm down. High Frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #21
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Yep

It’s loud here.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #22
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, I finally got off my butt and installed the 6th setup I have had in this car

6. EU Headers + DKF Section 1 w/300 cell cats + OE X-Pipe + Remus,

Well, what a nice change, the perceived noise level was muted maybe 25%, but as stated by some, is the frequency of the sound that does not slap you in the ears now, also I am able to hear my CSL box while at the same time you get the exhaust tone too,

from 1.5-3k the deeper exhaust note is predominant
between 3-5.5k rpm, the induction sound is more noticeable than exhaust
from 5.5k onwards is a combination of the two which makes it really addictive

Also, the low frequencies that can be perceived as drone are almost gone to the point that the sound can be described as deep and rich, not droney.
Appreciate 2
wdb4712.00