ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Hey bud, its been a few weeks now since your install. How do you like it? anything you'd change?
Also, if it's possible, would be good to update / re-upload the pics I don't see most of them for some reason
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #24
Arietis
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Great review, I was also on the market for one and after driving Vanne's car I knew I wanted one but the butchering of the interior was a deal breaker.
I finally pulled the trigger on a IRP (which I will post a review) and like Vanne said it's the best Mod ever for the Z
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #25
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Just an update for anyone who is thinking about doing this. Do NOT forget to re-use the OEM rubber shifter boot. I originally junked mine because it was easier and as a result the heat rising from that area was insane. It felt like you had the heater turned up to max all the time.

Needless to say, I had to do the entire unpleasant job twice as it was unbearable. Had to buy a new one and do a little trimming for it to fit, but after installing it the difference was incredible.
Attached Images

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 2
wdb4716.50
TRiCC264.50
      01-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #26
1messedupZ4M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M, 2003 E46 M3

Looks like their website lists it as "Pre-order". Wonder if they still make them?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #27
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1messedupZ4M View Post
Looks like their website lists it as "Pre-order". Wonder if they still make them?
You can check out PSDesign shifter.. they are the same thing. Same origin I heard.. no affiliation.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #28
1messedupZ4M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M, 2003 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
You can check out PSDesign shifter.. they are the same thing. Same origin I heard.. no affiliation.
Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #29
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

The PSDesign shifter does look to be made by RTD just rebranded under their own name. This wouldn't be a huge surprise as they seem to be an RTD dealer.

However, the PSDesign shifter is not a lockout design nor does it feature adjustable side stops for 1-2 and 5-6 shift like CAE and the RTD REVO1.

Never the less it is available in both 300mm and 360mm heights if that is all you are looking for.

RTD is still available, look at their Instagram page for updates on production timeframes. Maher always delivers.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #30
TRiCC
E86 M Coupe
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I have a PSDesigns chassis mounted 300mm shifter! Hands down one of my favorite mods! Thanks for making this thread! Helped tremendously!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #31
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Just an update for anyone who is thinking about doing this. Do NOT forget to re-use the OEM rubber shifter boot. I originally junked mine because it was easier and as a result the heat rising from that area was insane. It felt like you had the heater turned up to max all the time.

Needless to say, I had to do the entire unpleasant job twice as it was unbearable. Had to buy a new one and do a little trimming for it to fit, but after installing it the difference was incredible.
Hi mate

Quick Q - I have a psd shifter being installed next week and have a new oem dust boot ready to go on. It looks like you’ve just trimmed the top tube which the shaft goes through, and then bolted the shifter on top of the rubber on the transmission tunnel. Do you feel any slop/slack in the shift given the shifter cage is sitting on the rubber and not the chassis direct? Also I not you’ve not cut off the bottom of the boot? Does this interfere with the shift action?

Thanks for the idea of doing this in the first place - great encouragement to get on with it!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #32
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Hi mate

Quick Q - I have a psd shifter being installed next week and have a new oem dust boot ready to go on. It looks like you’ve just trimmed the top tube which the shaft goes through, and then bolted the shifter on top of the rubber on the transmission tunnel. Do you feel any slop/slack in the shift given the shifter cage is sitting on the rubber and not the chassis direct? Also I not you’ve not cut off the bottom of the boot? Does this interfere with the shift action?

Thanks for the idea of doing this in the first place - great encouragement to get on with it!
I am glad I have helped some people get this done, with a few key pointers it can make the job much smoother.

Well no, firstly the shifter is not 'sitting' on the rubber boot. Please look carefully at the picture and you will see I used three washers to clear the bottom lip of the boot from the top. The front washer I ground one side a bit flat to clear the boot so I did not have to trim the top flange.

The washers I used were thicker than the thin rubber base flange on the top side. Believe me, when you torque all three bolts down it is metal on metal contact.

Secondly, the bottom of the boot has been cut to clear the front bolt and DSSR. Please see the second picture. If you do not do this you will get rubbing as it sits very close to the bottom of the trans tunnel already.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #33
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
I am glad I have helped some people get this done, with a few key pointers it can make the job much smoother.

Well no, firstly the shifter is not 'sitting' on the rubber boot. Please look carefully at the picture and you will see I used three washers to clear the bottom lip of the boot from the top. The front washer I ground one side a bit flat to clear the boot so I did not have to trim the top flange.

The washers I used were thicker than the thin rubber base flange on the top side. Believe me, when you torque all three bolts down it is metal on metal contact.

Secondly, the bottom of the boot has been cut to clear the front bolt and DSSR. Please see the second picture. If you do not do this you will get rubbing as it sits very close to the bottom of the trans tunnel already.
You sir are a legend. Thank you for this. Can’t wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #34
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to update the thread, I’ve now fitted the psd shifter per Mr Anile8’s instructions with the oem boot in place. Works perfectly with no additional noise but a much shorter, crisper shift. Very pleased.

Ps no idea why photo is upside down!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #35
NLE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Z4M

RTD’s site doesn’t list a Z4 M specific shifter. Is the correct one to order the e46 model (and NOT the e8x / e9x model) even though we have a different transmission to the M3?

How does the RTD race lever compare in terms of height and resistance to the CAE?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 06:18 PM   #36
NLE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLE View Post
RTD’s site doesn’t list a Z4 M specific shifter. Is the correct one to order the e46 model (and NOT the e8x / e9x model) even though we have a different transmission to the M3?

How does the RTD race lever compare in terms of height and resistance to the CAE?
Anyone with an answer here?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 08:48 PM   #37
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

You want a E30, E36, E39, E46, E60, E63 shifter, the direct ordering link was provided in #1 post of this thread. For the Z4 platform you need to reverse-fit it as already discussed. The same goes for the CAE unless you want to start cutting up your interior trim.

Well unless this is a trick question the CAE Ultra Shifter is listed on the manufacturer's website as 315mm, the RTD as already mentioned in post #1 is 360mm for the Race version, so unless I'm mistaken the difference would be 45mm.

Resistance will be determined largely by the height of the shifter as both offer a race chassis solid mount shifter with a through bushing design. Generally, the longer the shifter, the lower the force needed.
Appreciate 0