ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-29-2022, 01:35 PM   #23
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Because most cars are designed for mouth breathers on tiktok so they can mash the accelerator and think they're doing something cool or skilled.
You say that with such disdain.

Most cars are designed with some sort of utility in mind. Most people prefer acceleration over handling. Most businesses that cater to their audience more than their unique vision succeed.

I'm with you though, my daily is a Sports Car, and so is my weekend toy. Even my other daily is sporty. But we are the few.

Don't be so hurt about it, if you don't like acceleration that much, don't buy those cars. It's people like you and I that keep cars like the M2 viable for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 01:46 PM   #24
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

Most cars are designed with some sort of utility in mind. Most people prefer acceleration over handling. Most businesses that cater to their audience more than their unique vision succeed.

I'm with you though, my daily is a Sports Car, and so is my weekend toy. Even my other daily is sporty. But we are the few.

Don't be so hurt about it, if you don't like acceleration that much, don't buy those cars. It's people like you and I that keep cars like the M2 viable for BMW.
Not really the point I was making but that's probably my fault. I don't care if someone likes one dimensional cars - plenty of friends have Nissan GTRs. It just sucks that I now have to listen to people with crippling autism compare a Tesla to a 488 Pista... and they genuinely believe that the Tesla is a better "sports car."

I've got a down-payment on a Tesla to replace my truck so I don't talk about them or EV with contempt. The definition of "performance" is so watered down now. That being said, yeah the M2 is a great car but I don't vibe with the wheelbase. We really don't need an ///M brand anymore.
Appreciate 5
DrFerry6722.50
Cos270608.50
Conissah1574.50
      06-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #25
PfizerP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
What an idiot... a 1000hp 5000lb car in the hands of someone with zero track experience is a deadly weapon.

He stripped his car of all the stock safety equipment, then replaced the brakes without flushing with high temp brake fluid, then decide to test said new brakes on a 160mph+ entry into a corner... that's Darwin at work.
Also, he isn't wearing a helmet . Why the fuck would you strip the car down like that. Dude should be banned from driving on the track.
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6722.50
wdb4673.00
jabrax10.50
Z K1886.00
      06-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #26
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Look hes one of those guys who thinks a fast car comes magically paired with track skills. He learned the hard way.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6722.50
      06-29-2022, 04:27 PM   #27
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Most cars will let you out-accelerate what your brakes can handle on a track, EVs do it faster for sure. This is one of the primary skills you learn when you start racing. You can definitely "go faster" in places...but you can't carry more speed into a turn or slow down too late from a higher speed. It won't work. You increase the speed, you have to increase the distance at which you start to slow down...by a lot. There's likely not a tire/brake combo that will handle slowing from 170 down to what was required for that turn for that weight of car, which would be the same if it was a AMG E or M5.

One of the reasons why BMW CCA doesn't allow rookies on R-comps/race tires. Need to learn proper car control first.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #28
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

Not really the point I was making but that's probably my fault. I don't care if someone likes one dimensional cars - plenty of friends have Nissan GTRs. It just sucks that I now have to listen to people with crippling autism compare a Tesla to a 488 Pista... and they genuinely believe that the Tesla is a better "sports car."

I've got a down-payment on a Tesla to replace my truck so I don't talk about them or EV with contempt. The definition of "performance" is so watered down now. That being said, yeah the M2 is a great car but I don't vibe with the wheelbase. We really don't need an ///M brand anymore.
If you are saying a GTR is 1 dimensional, which one are you talking about? They seem to be bad ass on track and Straight line?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:07 PM   #29
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd like to know how he tore an ACL.
Just guessing here, but maybe it was the high speed motor vehicle accident.
Appreciate 2
MmmmmM22578.00
chris7197273.00
      06-30-2022, 12:33 AM   #30
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
If you are saying a GTR is 1 dimensional, which one are you talking about? They seem to be bad ass on track and Straight line?
They're 10,000 lbs, all wheel drive and handle like garbage.

The AMG GTR is a sweet car. The Nissan GTR is 1 dimensional.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2022, 05:57 AM   #31
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They're 10,000 lbs, all wheel drive and handle like garbage.

The AMG GTR is a sweet car. The Nissan GTR is 1 dimensional.
Your first sentence sounds like the new M X-drive. Lol. Easy on the hater-aid bro. Not that I give a shit about road racing any of my cars. I know the GTR does very well on that, which would make me believe it handles ok? Also, isn't it pretty high ranking still at the ring?
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
jabrax10.50
      06-30-2022, 07:01 AM   #32
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
I know the GTR does very well on that, which would make me believe it handles ok? Also, isn't it pretty high ranking still at the ring?
7 minute 8.7, in 2013 according to Nissan for the hot Nismo version
That puts it behind a Mclaren 720S, in front of a Merc GT-R Pro

The standard car hits 7.26.70 with 'optimal' tires
That puts it ahead of a Fezza 812 superfast

That's respectable company to be among.

Back on the clown the OP posted, I don't think he is all that hurt over the Plaid, all the hate probably earned him a good payday from youtube.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
JasonDot579.50
      06-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #33
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Quote:
I know the GTR does very well on that, which would make me believe it handles ok? Also, isn't it pretty high ranking still at the ring?
7 minute 8.7, in 2013 according to Nissan for the hot Nismo version
That puts it behind a Mclaren 720S, in front of a Merc GT-R Pro

The standard car hits 7.26.70 with 'optimal' tires
That puts it ahead of a Fezza 812 superfast

That's respectable company to be among.

Back on the clown the OP posted, I don't think he is all that hurt over the Plaid, all the hate probably earned him a good payday from youtube.
Like I said. I'm not into ring times and road course. Just know that GTR's are bad ass at both. My brothers is over 1200 and is insanely fun to drive. With rolling boost, I think he he beat that plaid:-)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 05:49 PM   #34
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
handle like garbage.

The Nissan GTR is 1 dimensional.
I think you're definitely a little off on your thoughts here lol
Appreciate 5
      06-30-2022, 08:35 PM   #35
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I think you're definitely a little off on your thoughts here lol
Might need a physics refresher then.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      07-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #36
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Because most cars are designed for mouth breathers on tiktok so they can mash the accelerator and think they're doing something cool or skilled. It's why ///M has fallen so hard. I'd rather watch paint dry.

^ Great video and the ending sums up the current state of car design.
Haha, sounds like you need a nap.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      07-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #37
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
Haha, sounds like you need a nap.
Don't we all?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      07-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #38
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

snapchat that whole shit!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #39
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Might need a physics refresher then.
They are consistently at the top of the heap when it comes to OLOA.

So I don't know what you're on about that they handle like crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #40
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

I'm surprised this is such a sensitive issue. It's a cool car - they're just not made for that reason.

It's a heavy, all wheel drive, understeery platform with awful balance. It generates ridiculous heat and annihilates consumables. Yeah, you can gut one, modify it to shit and put aero on it to get ok results - it has the power for single lap performance (Nurburgring) but some guy with a 2006 Corvette will walk all over it for a fraction of the price with less power. You can take a subset of any amateur racing/time attack results and "prove" that some terrible platform is capable of putting down a good lap. I've seen FAST dodge chargers too and that platform is probably worse than the Nissan GTR. Do you see a lot of GTRs in endurance or GT racing? Yes, but it's an AMG not a Nissan.

It's not a good platform for tracks. I didn't discover the laws of physics.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      07-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #41
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm surprised this is such a sensitive issue. It's a cool car - they're just not made for that reason.

It's a heavy, all wheel drive, understeery platform with awful balance. It generates ridiculous heat and annihilates consumables. Yeah, you can gut one, modify it to shit and put aero on it to get ok results - it has the power for single lap performance (Nurburgring) but some guy with a 2006 Corvette will walk all over it for a fraction of the price with less power. You can take a subset of any amateur racing/time attack results and "prove" that some terrible platform is capable of putting down a good lap. I've seen FAST dodge chargers too and that platform is probably worse than the Nissan GTR. Do you see a lot of GTRs in endurance or GT racing? Yes, but it's an AMG not a Nissan.

It's not a good platform for tracks. I didn't discover the laws of physics.
Your going to talk price about tracking and then add AMG GTR? Again, new X drive M cars are pigs to. Any near 2 ton AWD car you track is going to eat up everything. I know the M cars drive on fairy dust and unicorn piss but they will be no cheaper than most other AWD hippos. Slow down on the Beemer cool aid homie. We all have M cars but no need to hate on the poor Nissan!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #42
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your going to talk price about tracking and then add AMG GTR? Again, new X drive M cars are pigs to. Any near 2 ton AWD car you track is going to eat up everything. I know the M cars drive on fairy dust and unicorn piss but they will be no cheaper than most other AWD hippos. Slow down on the Beemer cool aid homie. We all have M cars but no need to hate on the poor Nissan!!
Comparing a purpose-built race car to a modified street car is up there "with needing to learn laws of physics" comments.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      07-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #43
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Comparing a purpose-built race car to a modified street car is up there "with needing to learn laws of physics" comments.
What one is modified?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 03:53 PM   #44
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
What one is modified?
In this case he brought AMG endurance race cars compared to street legal cars built for events like OLOA like I had mentioned.
Appreciate 0