ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #1
07ImolaRot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M, 05 M3, 13 M3

Removing vanos. Clearance?

I'm going to be doing a vanos overhaul soon. It seems like taking the vanos off might be a little challening due to much less space on the Z4M than the E46. Those of you that attempted this, how did you go about it? Did you have to loosen the radiator support to make enough space to backout the vanos and take it out?

Seems like a very tight fit.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #2
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

It is tight but very doable. Make sure to remove the top plastic piece and fan assembly first. But the whole unit will come out with a bit of wiggling. Same going back in. Check multiple sources for procedures. I used beisan guide primarily. Also used fatboys garage guide on youtube. Both are very detailed. If you are doing it for the first time I'd review both resources start to finish to understand the whole process before even starting.
Appreciate 2
AK72286.00
      03-06-2023, 10:58 AM   #3
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Need to remove…

Radiator beauty cover
Remove radiator fan and shroud
Remove hood release cable from its clip and then the clip from the slam panel (needed so that unit can be as car forward as possible.

And when removing the VANOS you need to separate the feed valve carefully so it remains attached to the head (not the vanos unit), or remove it completely. Then the unit can be pulled back completely and slide it up.

Use the longest bolts from the solenoid pack as sliding guides so the unit is slid forwards and still supported while you release the feed valve.
Appreciate 1