ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Need help!!! Problem at high speed

Hi guys,

I am at the track right now and I have a problem with my car, it goes into limp mode after 2 laps at WOT for the last 2 sessions. Exact same problem as this guy but can't find the solution...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=921628

Car is going well than all of a sudden, a yellow light (brake) turn on and engine go around 1000rpm and stay there even if I push the gas pedal. If I turn off the car and start up again, the yellow brake light is off and when I scan with a VAGcom in OBD2, there is no error code...

I don't want to go back on the track right now cause it happened in straight line and don't want this to happen in a curve...

Anybody ever had the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Look at my threads , I'm supercharged but I've had huge problems with this . Still working on the problem .... Sorry man .
George
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Sorry I see in your signature you have the ESS VT-1 as well. I guarantee we are having the same problem. I used to have it occasionally now that i went to the new VT 2 525 it was happening all over the place at high rpm on track which resulted in me short shifting everywhere. It can happen in a turn and it has almost caused me to wreck multiple times. I would suggest figuring it out before tracking again. I have a dyno session set up on monday to hopefully recreate the problem while looking at full live engine data to figure it out. I will gladly share what I find. I've never had a code either by the way. I'm pretty sure it's tune related and because it only happens on track at extremely high speed >120 most people don't have it / can't complain about it so ESS doesn't want to help much ...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for answering.

I checked you vid in your other thread and we definitaly have the same problem.

I did a lot of Google research on this subject today and it seems no one have the answer yet.

You can see in this thread that Palantirion was having this problem couple of year ago. He said the solution was a bigger oil cooler but I really doubt it cancel the problem...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...185835&page=72

Also, I'm not so sure this problem is directly related to heat. I was at the same track 2 weeks ago at 35 degrees Celsius and it never happened and yesterday was fucking cold at 14 degrees Celsius and it happened both session during second lap.

One thing is sure: I would never be able to have this problem while driving on the street. You need to carry some speed to have this problem. I saw your track video in your other thread and nice driving BTW!

Also, do you have any cats on your car? Removing them helps to reduce the heat. I only have the section 1 cats but might return catless.

I won't track the car until I/you find a solution to this problem. Anyway my season was almost over because I am buying a new house next month and my girlfriend is pregnant and only a month before the baby is coming.

I was also considering going back to N/A lately. If this problem is cause by the ESS kit, I will most probably put the VT-445 for sale. I have other plan for the M Coupe for the future. Lightweight is my priority right now!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

My bet is on oil or fuel pressure drop for a second.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Damn. I have the same ESS VT1 kit. I'm planning to go to the track next month. This got me very worried. I'v done some spirited non-track driving without any issues. I'm hoping you guys can get to the bottom of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have done around 15 track days without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
I have done around 15 track days without any issues.
It all seems to depend on prolonged acceleration for greater than 10 seconds in 4th or 5th gear for me. Very few tracks allow this. There are multiple people with ESS kits that have this problem now so I don't think its some mechanical failure on one of our cars, but a failure of the tune to deal with a certain situation on track. I have temperature issues under control and its still happening to me. It would rarely happen like 1 in 3-5 track days when I was VT-1., now that I am VT-2 525 I've actually done it on the street when i was testing temps on an old runway (It happened almost every lap when going 80% of my usual pace at the track) . Hit the top of 4th near redline after going WOT through 3rd and 4th gear and blamo there was my old yellow friend. Oil temps were 215 and intake air temps were 105 with water temps of 192. Oil pressure was good as well. And I have taken the fuel pump out of the equation with the Aeromotive 340. My bet is on fueling but I think its tune related. We will know for sure on Tuesday though.
George
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
Thanks for answering.

I checked you vid in your other thread and we definitaly have the same problem.

I did a lot of Google research on this subject today and it seems no one have the answer yet.

You can see in this thread that Palantirion was having this problem couple of year ago. He said the solution was a bigger oil cooler but I really doubt it cancel the problem...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...185835&page=72

Also, I'm not so sure this problem is directly related to heat. I was at the same track 2 weeks ago at 35 degrees Celsius and it never happened and yesterday was fucking cold at 14 degrees Celsius and it happened both session during second lap.

One thing is sure: I would never be able to have this problem while driving on the street. You need to carry some speed to have this problem. I saw your track video in your other thread and nice driving BTW!

Also, do you have any cats on your car? Removing them helps to reduce the heat. I only have the section 1 cats but might return catless.

I won't track the car until I/you find a solution to this problem. Anyway my season was almost over because I am buying a new house next month and my girlfriend is pregnant and only a month before the baby is coming.

I was also considering going back to N/A lately. If this problem is cause by the ESS kit, I will most probably put the VT-445 for sale. I have other plan for the M Coupe for the future. Lightweight is my priority right now!

After speaking with AJ at ESS many many times Pal was having a temperature related limp mode for sure. I took that out of the equation when I had the VT-1 with a bigger oil cooler and still occasionally had it when driving balls to the wall. I lived with it but was hoping the "new tune and better oil cooler/intercooler and low IAT" of the VT-525 would fix it. It is frustrating bc it was not temp related, but def related to high rpm and long term WOT. Going to the 525 has made the issue many times worse. There is a problem , it's not ok,and rest assured I will find it!
George
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

It seems odd to me that the yellow brake warning light comes on.
Maybe the problem isn't engine related?
Perhaps you have enough power now that you can drive the ABS into realms it was never programed for. It can't make sense out of what the accelerometers and wheel speed sensors are telling it, so it "fails safe" and assumes brake system failure, and goes into limp mode in an attempt to save your life.

Or maybe all of your brake fluid is sloshing to one side and it thinks you're low?