ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looking to buy a early/mid 2000's 325/328

Ok, I'm all into my 335i and know every quirk they have. But I'm looking to get me a cheap daily driver for work. Can someone give me the skinny on what years have what issue, is one year better than the other etc... I need the cliff notes on these cars for shopping purposed. Looking for a 2003-2006 3 series 4 door, prefer manual trans but am open to a auto. I'm just worried buying such an old high mileage car with an auto may cause problems for me. Sticks are either good or bad. Clutches wear and gear oil is cheap. Any help would be appreicated. No mods other than tint. Daily driver for work. would like to buy one just under 100k miles realistically. I need to get out of my high dollar Lincoln and into something cheaper and funner to drive. lots of hwy driving... I love my lincoln, but it's an expensive car and I really love the 3 series, so much more engaging driving experience. I do all my own work, so maintenace on a older well kept 3 should be an intial sorting and I'm good for a while. No mods, just drive it.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by fl335i; 09-07-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
Ok, I'm all into my 335i and know every quirk they have. But I'm looking to get me a cheap daily driver for work.
I don't get why you wouldn't daily drive your current 3-series, which was designed to do what the E46 you're after would do, but I'll put that in my "people are weird file" and move on.

If you're looking at a post-facelift E46, you're going for the most solid of the line. They might still be prone to the subframe issue, but they're otherwise solid. Like any 3-series make sure the suspension has been cared for and the cooling system maintained for the miles, and be prepared to replace some window regulators and ignition coils, like any mid-2000s German car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

^ I drove 40k miles this past 12 months for work. I get a fixed amount for work for a car allowance. Does not cover me driving my custom mod'd 335i. Driving my 335i would be a financial hole in the ground. The E46 would be a $5k car + some maintenance costs and be a solid 6-7k car I can drive and not be worried about.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0