ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Yillbs
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I've purchaed.... three z4's in the last month. Love the Z!

Hey Guys,

New here. Have I got a story for you! I have a nice big lifted truck, my wife does too, it's what we do! Hoever; I really wanted something sporty that we could take out on the weekends, so i tried a z4 2.5i, wow, just wow. I fell in love immediately, the smooth engine, the size, everything about it I loved. I got the bug and decided this is what i wanted, but I wanted the 3.0, so i did what any normal person would do, I fixed the window cowl, the windshield trim, wiper blades, and of course the intake boot was tore, so fixed that, she was pretty, then i sold her for 1000 more than I paid, then i wen't on the lookout for a good bmw 3.0i, found one! It was red, it was a six speed, -loved it-, did ALL the same things, minus the boot, then decided i wanted the last year si, so i did what any normal person does, i listed it for sale, and sold it for 2000 more than I paid, then I wen't on the hunt for a 3.0si with red interior, and a six speed.

The process took about two weeks, i looked high and low, everywhere, i even looked a few states over, I found one, literally, just one, it was in a major accident and the car was totaled, but repaired. I paid 7k for it.

Monday morning it's getting dropped off for a complete paint job, a new top, new front bumper, new rear bumper, and some new rims ( the ones it had were pretty nasty ). All in all i'll be in a little over 10k on the car, you would never know it was in an accident, and it has power for days.

It has a couple engine issues, it idles rough for the first 5 seconds of each start then levels off, i'm getting a bmw 2a13 code, it seems to be some sort of pump, I've ordered the part, and will put it on while it's in the body shop. I'm pretty stoked, just wanted to say hi!!

While looking i've noticed that so many people just don't seem to care about these beautiful cars. I do have a single question I hope someone on here might be able to assist with.

The car has some sort of fake leather, maybe a vinyl on the pillars that's coming off, it's very hard like plastic, but i don't think it's supposed to be. Does anyone know what this is, and how to replace it? it seems to be above the sun visors too, it's just kind of peeling.

Thanks everyone ahead of time!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Let me give you some advice. Never drive the M roadster unless you want to start hunting again.... Welcome to the fold!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Let me give you some advice. Never drive the M roadster unless you want to start hunting again.... Welcome to the fold!
3.0si is a very nice car on its own. Rarer than the M too, with manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Yillbs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Haha, I almost grabbed one, 86k miles for 16k, I just didn't want to spend so much on a toy.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #5
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Nice! Finding a well optioned 3.0si seems like unicorn hunting these days. How many miles on her?

Sticking with the same paint color?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Yillbs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscbrah View Post
Nice! Finding a well optioned 3.0si seems like unicorn hunting these days. How many miles on her?

Sticking with the same paint color?
It's got 81000 miles. It's pretty awesome, it had a service engine light, but it was the evap leak detection pump.

It's at the body shop right now, and i'm painting it the same color. Black with some bronze colored wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Was it the black on red 6MT 3.0si somewhere around Tyler, TX? I poked at that one too
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Yillbs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus87 View Post
Was it the black on red 6MT 3.0si somewhere around Tyler, TX? I poked at that one too
That would be the one. There was a silver one in louisiana ( silver and red ), and this black one.

It had pretty good mileage, and the pictures made it look like it was good, but it wasn't. The people that sold it lied. It was actually an older woman so I kind of took her word for some of it, but they were mostly lies.

The car was in a pretty major wreck, which I knew about, even saw all the before pictures, but it was put back together as cheap as possible, the had me drive three hours to look at it knowing the paint was coming through , and the parts they did replace were actually red, and were not even sanded, just painted on. The alignment of the bumpers was all over the place, the engine light was on, she tried to say a mechanic looked at it and told her it was just a service light, which, it was throwing three codes, and a bmw reader, and a normal reader all picked up on them, it has a bad idle, airbag light was on, tire light was on, they made up lies about all of them.

All in all though, i got the car for 7, and it's looking brand new, with all those issues fixed for just over 10, i will never see what I put into it, but that's okay, it's just for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
That would be the one. There was a silver one in louisiana ( silver and red ), and this black one.

It had pretty good mileage, and the pictures made it look like it was good, but it wasn't. The people that sold it lied. It was actually an older woman so I kind of took her word for some of it, but they were mostly lies.

The car was in a pretty major wreck, which I knew about, even saw all the before pictures, but it was put back together as cheap as possible, the had me drive three hours to look at it knowing the paint was coming through , and the parts they did replace were actually red, and were not even sanded, just painted on. The alignment of the bumpers was all over the place, the engine light was on, she tried to say a mechanic looked at it and told her it was just a service light, which, it was throwing three codes, and a bmw reader, and a normal reader all picked up on them, it has a bad idle, airbag light was on, tire light was on, they made up lies about all of them.

All in all though, i got the car for 7, and it's looking brand new, with all those issues fixed for just over 10, i will never see what I put into it, but that's okay, it's just for me.
Sorry to hear about that, but a 3.0si with a stick is always a nice find. I was going to offer 6.5 but went in a different direction. Also took a flyer on the one in LA but it was a 3.0i listed as an si. There's one more out there in Northeast TX (Bullard) which looks nice and has the sport seats.

I'm also in Houston, btw. Used to have a 3.0si coupe back in the day. Then went to the world of Porsche and just today circled back and picked up an e89 to add to the stable.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #10
Yillbs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus87 View Post
Sorry to hear about that, but a 3.0si with a stick is always a nice find. I was going to offer 6.5 but went in a different direction. Also took a flyer on the one in LA but it was a 3.0i listed as an si. There's one more out there in Northeast TX (Bullard) which looks nice and has the sport seats.

I'm also in Houston, btw. Used to have a 3.0si coupe back in the day. Then went to the world of Porsche and just today circled back and picked up an e89 to add to the stable.
The one in bullard was out of the question due to that light interior. Good luck with that. There is a silver one in la with red seats with low miles. I'll try to find it again if you're looking. I'm out closer to the cypress area, so houston as well!
Appreciate 0