ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Long Day...

So I woke up around 6:30 AM EST, on 27 JAN 09. And I'm still awake. Over the past 24+ hours I've traveled about 3700 miles with my wife and 2 dogs, dropped them at the hotel, took care of some administrative BS, and picked up my car!

I just wish I could enjoy it, I'm completely numb, the lights are on, but nobody's home. Hopefully tomorrow will be more exciting/eventful.

The good news is that the car traveled the miles well, and wasn't damaged along the way. The tires were low and it needed to be vacuumed and the tank needed some super bleifrei, but aside from that all was well.

Now I just need a euro front plate holder in BS to match the car. Hopefully I can find a dealer willing to speak english to me, and has the parts available.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

glad you made it safely. that's one heck of a trip.... you must be thrilled to have the car back! sorry we never connected.... i just never had a free moment last week.... had to layoff three good people... it was a rough one.

that said... go get yourself a nice after-market exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
glad you made it safely. that's one heck of a trip.... you must be thrilled to have the car back! sorry we never connected.... i just never had a free moment last week.... had to layoff three good people... it was a rough one.

that said... go get yourself a nice after-market exhaust!
All in good time, I'm starting a car fund with my tax refund, hopefully I'll get to watch it blossom into Mods.

Sorry bout the layoffs, that blows. Don't worry about the exhaust, I've found some decent youtube videos of it.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

So catch us newcomers up, where are you now, somewhere in Europe? Are you buying a car over there or did you ship yours over?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Glad to hear that all made the trip safely. Engineer Daddy (Z4M coupe) is over there, might be worth it to hook up.
      01-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I'm now in Germany, the car was shipped from NJ at the beginning of December, which was why I was so worried about it being damaged.

Engineer Daddy is in the same community as me, I'm sure I'll see him around eventually.

P.S. Still awake...for now

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
From what ive heard 3700 miles in that car would be like spending a week in a japanese prison camp
I personally like long trips in my Zed more than I have in my previous cars, the seats are more comfy. How about you stop with these stupid comments until you actually get one mmkay?

Glad you made it safe, and the car too! How long are you going to be over there now?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Glad to hear that everything went well. I am curious also to know how long you will be over seas or did you move over, forgive me if I dont remember correctly. I hope all goes well.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

Wow did you get hit up with crazy import taxes or anything? At least they drive on the same side of the road over there. Wish I could take mine to Australia when I head back there in a couple of months, but I dont have the heart to butcher it and convert it to right hand drive
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Welcome to H'Town. I am actually getting the car registered tomorrow. It has been stored since November, but the weather has been decent and I will be shipping it back to the states in another month so I need to get some speed out of my system. Oh, and I got a new stubby thanks to Incompatible.
See ya in the neighborhood.

2008 M Coupe
1984 Mini (born 11 APR 84)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Daddy View Post
Welcome to H'Town. I am actually getting the car registered tomorrow. It has been stored since November, but the weather has been decent and I will be shipping it back to the states in another month so I need to get some speed out of my system. Oh, and I got a new stubby thanks to Incompatible.
See ya in the neighborhood.
Registration is also on my to do list tomorrow.

P.S. Nodded off for a bit there, taking the dogs out and then we'll see if I can remember to wake back up.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
From what ive heard 3700 miles in that car would be like spending a week in a japanese prison camp
Actually I like road trips in the M more than my previous Z4. The M Sport seats are more firm, which makes them better for long trips. I'm already planning a 2 week road trip for May this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Just completed a 3000 mile trip in the Z4MC with the wife last month and am glad to report that this is a comfortable car for road trips.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

I imagine it must be plenty comfortable on long trips... I've done two long trips in both of my S2000's and even that was manageable... I would think the M Coupe would be an absolute pleasure!
      01-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Now I just need a euro front plate holder in BS to match the car. Hopefully I can find a dealer willing to speak english to me, and has the parts available.

You're nuts if you drill holes in your bumper for a Euro plate. I used the thick foam-core two-sided tape. Key is to preshape the plate. A tire works perfectly. If you don't preshape the plate it won't stay. When ready to remove you just use dental floss and then clean up the residue. In the end, it will be as if never there.

I'll register my cars in NC when I return in June. No front plate so I sure don't want holes!

Send me your email if you want and I'll put you in touch with the local M club (whihc has members in Stuttgart too). They're going to visit Hartge soon and have a M car factory tour lined up. The club is backed by Pentagon Car Sales so they have some clout.

BTW, there's no such thing as unavailable parts here. They often won't have it in stock. But it only takes 1 to 2 days to get anything BMW makes/sells.

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 01-29-2009 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep

Glad you all [including the M ] made it over the pond safely. Get some rest. All you guys going from Boston to Europe has me curious what type of companies you work for. I know there is a ton of biotech in Boston but curious what other big Industry there is.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The go mini plate holder works pretty good if you dont want to drill. It is off-center, but I think it looks ok and have even had some nice compliments from the Ponds guards. Maybe we can get the triplets on a road trip to the "Ring" before I ship in early March. Who knows we might even be able to get Russ Ramz to join us, I am sure his car must be complete or close to. I think he is in your neighborhood MVF4Rrider. It would be pretty cool seeing 4 seemingly identical M Coups rolling down the Autobahn.

2008 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
The go mini plate holder works pretty good if you dont want to drill. It is off-center, but I think it looks ok and have even had some nice compliments from the Ponds guards. Maybe we can get the triplets on a road trip to the "Ring" before I ship in early March. Who knows we might even be able to get Russ Ramz to join us, I am sure his car must be complete or close to. I think he is in your neighborhood MVF4Rrider. It would be pretty cool seeing 4 seemingly identical M Coups rolling down the Autobahn.
I'm hoping March is decent enough to get the car out for a sunny drive. I've put less than 100 miles on mine since October. I'm so ready to leave Germany and this crappy weather.

I saw Russ Ramz maybe a month ago...just after he got his car back from the body shop. That's a very modified M car! I'm sure he's a terror on the ring. I've only been there a handful of times so I have to pussyfoot around as I don't know it well enough. I will go to the ring when it warms up, but plan to do so in the JCW MINI after I run it in (I guess 1200 miles?). My Z4 M isn't anywhere close to the 2nd break in threshold and I'm not going to risk any future unreliabilities. It only has 1300 miles on it. Still looks completely brand new and I've had it since September.

The MINI ships in late April and I'll ship the Z4 M early June hopefully right up tot eh point I get on a plane. The bike will get crated up in May with my HHG and that's the one I will spend as much free time on as possible.

Anyone up to seeing a F1 or MotoGP race prior to June??? I'd love to go to Monaco in May for the F1 race. I've been there twice. It's as good as it gets in Europe.
      01-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
You're nuts if you drill holes in your bumper for a Euro plate. I used the thick foam-core two-sided tape. Key is to preshape the plate. A tire works perfectly. If you don't preshape the plate it won't stay. When ready to remove you just use dental floss and then clean up the residue. In the end, it will be as if never there.

I'll register my cars in NC when I return in June. No front plate so I sure don't want holes!

Send me your email if you want and I'll put you in touch with the local M club (whihc has members in Stuttgart too). They're going to visit Hartge soon and have a M car factory tour lined up. The club is backed by Pentagon Car Sales so they have some clout.

BTW, there's no such thing as unavailable parts here. They often won't have it in stock. But it only takes 1 to 2 days to get anything BMW makes/sells.
Yeah, I've come to the realization that double sided foam tape is the way to go. I preshaped my temp plate and stuck on there yesterday. Worked like a charm. Going to do the same with the long plate (good idea using the tire to preshape it).

What I still need to do is to fit my winters to the car. The inner edge of my rears are worn out, so they need to be replaced anyway. Maybe this weekend.

Quote:
My wife saw a black M coupe at the CMR on Campbell this afternoon, she though it was mine, but when she saw the plates she was a little surprised. I was dropping my tires off at our new place. Anyway, just curious if it was your car.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Engineer Daddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

wasn't I. I just got her plated today, but didnt check mail. My wife says she saw one on Campbell a couple weeks ago, so there must be another amongst us, but I have yet to see it.

2008 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
wasn't I. I just got her plated today, but didnt check mail. My wife says she saw one on Campbell a couple weeks ago, so there must be another amongst us, but I have yet to see it.
Ok, just checking, I need to install my winters on there cuz apprently my summers are worn beyond use and the soup nazi denied me my plates!

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0