ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Any last minute advice?

I'm flying tomorrow to Chicago and driving my new 06 M Coupe back to Kentucky. I have navigation, getting the DRL, auto lock feature, and 3blink/1touch all turned on.....is there anything else I should think about having done prior to leaving the dealership? This is a CPO and the dealership (Perillo) has done a fantastic job of keeping me informed and ensuring that I am completely satisfied with my purchase. I guess if anything, I should have the dealership mate my phone with the car's blue tooth, initiate the nav for my trip.....anything else? So excited!

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

As it relates to programming- not sure on that one.

Other friendly advice. I live in Chicago. Avoid rush hour if you can. Either leave before 3:00 or after 6:30. You don't want to be frustrated during the first couple hours you have your car. Also, be sure to grab some good street food and a beer if you can (italian beef sandwich). The roads may be icy tomorrow if the snow thaws today and refreezes tomorrow- drive safely. Most importantly, enjoy that awesome new car!
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

Congratulations! Perillo is really good and I presume you bought the blue coupe they had I was thinking about it but I guess I lost now Anyways have Come Home feature programmed too! Pairing the phone is really easy but they should do it for u. And ask them for something like M keychain or the M plate frame Necessity!

Now, I'm off to actually clean my car and then finally put some pics up
      01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Shouldn't your sig say "Wildcat Blue"?

Sounds like you've got your bases covered. I'm with "Burt" - try and be back on the road in the early afternoon. Getting to Radcliff will probably have you taking I-65 pretty much the entire way, and I've never had much trouble troopers along that route, especially once you're past Indianapolis. I go back and forth to Lexington pretty often (all my family's there) and I hover at about 15mph over the limit without issue. If you're not into country music, bring your mp3 player - large chunks of Indiana have nothing but.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Congrats!
If ur car has bluetooth make sure the dealer pairs the phone and car. Also make sure that the xenon light washers work before u drive off.

Mmm...thats all i can think of now.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Shouldn't your sig say "Wildcat Blue"?

Sounds like you've got your bases covered. I'm with "Burt" - try and be back on the road in the early afternoon. Getting to Radcliff will probably have you taking I-65 pretty much the entire way, and I've never had much trouble troopers along that route, especially once you're past Indianapolis. I go back and forth to Lexington pretty often (all my family's there) and I hover at about 15mph over the limit without issue. If you're not into country music, bring your mp3 player - large chunks of Indiana have nothing but.
if your sig is accurate, thats excellent info. thanks!
      01-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

You should have the dealership perform the following.
  • Re-Torque all fastners on both front shock-tower-to-firewall braces
  • Check for loose/missing/broken fastners in all motor mounts and motor mount brackets (both engine side and frame side of the mounts and brackets...the mounts and the brackets themselves are two different pieces)
  • Re-Torque and check for missing fastners in rear suspension components (specifically sway bar mounts)
  • Update navigation firmware to latest version
  • Enable one-touch unlock to unlock both driver and passenger-side doors

Last edited by jragan; 01-25-2009 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: Added more detail to the motor mount description
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Radar Detector?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///Mamba View Post
if your sig is accurate, thats excellent info. thanks!
The production numbers are from a BMW Press release excerpted in the magazine I reference. If BMW doesn't know, no one does. I put the data in my .sig because it comes up a LOT.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks all! Yes, it is the one at Perillo.....Alan, the salesperson was a top notch/standup guy that got me a great deal on this CPO. I'll have my V1 and some CDs with me. Nav has the latest version and will be good to go for the ride home.....planned on getting the bluetooth paired, so that's good to go. I will be out of Chicago before 1 PM.....so some lunch will be a must. Perhaps the Chicago pizza I hear so much about!

And it isn't wildcat blue because I'm not a fan of Kentucky....but it is NY Giants blue!

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

I don't know where Perillo is but if you're going by the Rosemont area you can stop at Giordano's and pick up a half-cooked frozen stuffed pizza. Trust me, it'll keep for at least a four or five hour drive! The last time I brought one home from Chicago it was still frozen solid after three hours.

The cops in Indy have been on a tear lately on all the highways around the city so take it easy (and I mean 5-8 over only easy) as you go through the city on I-65.

Enjoy, gotta love Interlagos
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #12
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Congrats and you'll love the interlagos blue!
      01-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just a couple comments that I wanted to make. It was a 5 hour drive and here are my thoughts:

1) I FREAKIN LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2) The suspension is very tight....where ever you point the car, it goes

3) It is very hard to keep it under 60....the thing just wants to go

4) The ride is very, very, very firm. I have GC 450/550 on my M3 and this is a LOT firmer.

5) Did I mention that this car is just absolutely sexy and was even better with the hot girl I had with me.....

Now, on to my questions:

1) I had the dealer program DRL, auto lock, and I believe the 3 blink cursor to change lanes.....I tried pressing in the lever, but there is the on board computer on the end of the stalk and that is the only thing that presses in.....so, how do I do it?

2) Does one yellow and two red lights on the tachometer always stay lit? What is the redline?

3) There is a button next to the S/R button.....I've pressed it and it does absolutely nothing. What is it supposed to do?

4) If I get a phone call, how do I turn off the ringer without answering the call? Say I want to ignore the call...I hit the button on my phone and the ringing stops, but the car still rings until it goes to voice mail.

5) My front headlight flashed and the "faulty light bulb" indicator light lit up on my dash. The light then came on and the indicator light no longer lit up. Is this a bulb I can replace myself, or should I have the dealer do it under warranty?

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
Just a couple comments that I wanted to make. It was a 5 hour drive and here are my thoughts:

1) I FREAKIN LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I do too! I finally let mine rip off the clutch Skid marks for at least half a block

2) The suspension is very tight....where ever you point the car, it goes

That's why its great

3) It is very hard to keep it under 60....the thing just wants to go

Try to keep it in high gears. The urge will be smaller

4) The ride is very, very, very firm. I have GC 450/550 on my M3 and this is a LOT firmer.

The ride is so harsh my mom told me I'm gonna get a concussion ;P

5) Did I mention that this car is just absolutely sexy and was even better with the hot girl I had with me.....

Hot girls are in the OPTIONAL PACKAGE sold from 06 models and up. Price... well it depends but prepare to take your wallet out :P

Now, on to my questions:

1) I had the dealer program DRL, auto lock, and I believe the 3 blink cursor to change lanes.....I tried pressing in the lever, but there is the on board computer on the end of the stalk and that is the only thing that presses in.....so, how do I do it?

Just like you would indicate that you're turning but instead of just jamming the lever all the way up or down, just tap it.

2) Does one yellow and two red lights on the tachometer always stay lit? What is the redline?

Yes, they do. Redline is right past the warning (yellow line) and it changes depending on temp of the oil I believe.

3) There is a button next to the S/R button.....I've pressed it and it does absolutely nothing. What is it supposed to do?

I think it's the clock button. You have to hold it down and then you can set your clock on the little display by the tach.

4) If I get a phone call, how do I turn off the ringer without answering the call? Say I want to ignore the call...I hit the button on my phone and the ringing stops, but the car still rings until it goes to voice mail.

That I'm not sure.

5) My front headlight flashed and the "faulty light bulb" indicator light lit up on my dash. The light then came on and the indicator light no longer lit up. Is this a bulb I can replace myself, or should I have the dealer do it under warranty?

You spent few.... wrong... A LOT of your hard earned money on that car. Let the dealer do it for sure!!!!

Enjoy your "other" girlfriend
I put answers within the quote.
      01-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I think if you spend some time with the owner's manual most of your questions will be answered.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #16
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
You should have the dealership perform the following.
  • Re-Torque all fastners on both front shock-tower-to-firewall braces
  • Check for loose/missing/broken fastners in all motor mounts and motor mount brackets (both engine side and frame side of the mounts and brackets...the mounts and the brackets themselves are two different pieces)
  • Re-Torque and check for missing fastners in rear suspension components (specifically sway bar mounts)
  • Update navigation firmware to latest version
  • Enable one-touch unlock to unlock both driver and passenger-side doors
As an underscore to my points above, my passenger side motor mount bracket just gave way. Any time any of you take your Z4 ///Ms in, absolutely make sure you have them check the second bullet. (Although I had mine in for service less than six months ago and had them check...who knows if they actually did, they have to pull the wheel to get full access).

Also make sure this technical bulletin has been remediated (which could potentially cure the first bullet): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231800

Last edited by jragan; 01-25-2009 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
As an underscore to my points above, my passenger side motor mount bracket just gave way. Any time any of you take your Z4 ///Ms in, absolutely make sure you have them check the second bullet. (Although I had mine in for service less than six months ago and had them check...who knows if they actually did, they have to pull the wheel to get full access).

Also make sure this technical bulletin has been remediated (which could potentially cure the first bullet): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231800
Definitely. I get my car back Wednesday, and it's the first thing I'm gonna check.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Definitely. I get my car back Wednesday, and it's the first thing I'm gonna check.

Are you in Germany yet?
      01-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
I put answers within the quote.
Ride is so harsh? Guess you never owned or drove a first generation MINI Cooper S? In that car, you learn to drive to avoid anything you even think is a road irregualrity. You can feel/hear the smallest of cracks in pavement as you run over them. Even a 135i is more harsh (feel/sound) than the Z4M as compared when hitting road irregularities or sharp bumps or depressions. I'd say my Z4M is less harsh than all the runflat shod Bimmers/MINIs I've owned.

I owned a 135i for 4 months and compared to driving it on the most familiar roads around here, the Z4M is exponentially less harsh. Perhaps it's just the runflats that trash the ride quality of the 135i over bumps and such?

I would describe the Z4M's ride as very taut. You certainly feel bumps but you don't get the loud bang and jolt that comes from runflats. And typically the cars with runflats don't have such a taut suspension.

I have a MINI Cooper JCW on order with sports suspension and runflats. I'm interested to make a comparison in late March when I get the car. Plus, I'm having the JCW Recaro seats installed since I can get them here and they are unavailable in the States, even for dealers to order. I expect the ride quality to be better than my first genreation MINI Cooper S, but I'm hoping no worse than the Z4M. If it is, I'm going to have a long rough drive from NC to Las Vegas in July.
      01-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Are you in Germany yet?
Wednesday. Car is gonna be in my hands the day I get there, if its there. The RDD is tomorrow.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I said redline, but what I meant was fuel cutoff......

I went through the owner's manual and yes, most of my answers were there. I was just being lazy!

Lovin the car still. I just wished that the speedometer/tach were BMW amber like the rest of my BMWs.....

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
I said redline, but what I meant was fuel cutoff......

I went through the owner's manual and yes, most of my answers were there. I was just being lazy!

Lovin the car still. I just wished that the speedometer/tach were BMW amber like the rest of my BMWs.....
Really? I actually wish the rest of the LEDs were white like the speedo/tach!

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0