ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 Porsche GT2

Decided to resolve my speed issues

Here's the latest addition to my garage. Although this beast is a dream, I'm still keeping my MC because it's fun to drive and does not scare me.

This, however, scares me:

2003 996 GT2. 1890 MILES. ONE OF 90 TOTAL BROUGHT TO THE US. GMG RACE EXHAUST (THE HARLEY GUYS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE NOISE!)

BUSTED!

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

That last pic is hilarious.

Nice F'ing car. If I could afford it, it'd be in my garage also. I do, however, disagree with your wheel choice.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!

Last edited by Dammmittt; 01-17-2009 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Nice! My prejudice against turbos would have me getting the GT3 instead, but still...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
I think it's awesome!!!!!

But the insurance has to be really expensive on this thing...

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Man I love the 996 GT2...such a beast! Congrats on the purchase! I for one am keeping my eye out for a 997 GT3
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

In a few months I'll be happy to show you how slow it is (with my 200 hp, 400 lb. MV Agusta of course) ;-). I'm headed to Vegas this summer for 2 years. I'm so happy to be leaving Germany. Autobahns are great. Nothing else is, especially the weather. Hope there are some good roads out there...

How hard will it be to keep a black car clean there??? I'll have 2 of them. My Z4 M of course and I just ordered a black JCW Mini for a new daily driver. $3000 under MSRP and 210 hp w/30 mpg combined should make for a fun economical daily commuter. Certainly don't need a 330xi there that gets 19 mpg on average.

As for Harley guys, all they have is noise. The bikes certainly have no power. I can only imagine they don't like you invading their turf. My bike is pretty loud too at full song. It sounds remarkably like a F1 car adn nothing like a Japanese four. Should I guess considering Ferrari helped design the motor, hence F4.

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 01-18-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

sweet gt2, those are $$$!
      01-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
That last pic is hilarious.

Nice F'ing car. If I could afford it, it'd be in my garage also. I do, however, disagree with your wheel choice.
My brother is the cop. I let him drive it and he declared the car was "scary fast"

We then drove around and took some fun pics. He would get behind me and put on his overheads at a light. I would flip him the bird and take off when the light turned green.. The other drivers would freak out! He would then "pull me over" and we would take a few shots.

As for the wheels, they are stock. I don't like to mess with stock apart from maybe exhaust and DME . . . and ahhhh, stripes!).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
In a few months I'll be happy to show you how slow it is (with my 200 hp, 400 lb. MV Agusta of course) ;-). I'm headed to Vegas this summer for 2 years. I'm so happy to be leaving Germany. Autobahns are great. Nothing else is, especially the weather. Hope there are some good roads out there...

How hard will it be to keep a black car clean there??? I'll have 2 of them. My Z4 M of course and I just ordered a black JCW Mini for a new daily driver. $3000 under MSRP and 210 hp w/30 mpg combined should make for a fun economical daily commuter. Certainly don't need a 330xi there that gets 19 mpg on average.

As for Harley guys, all they have is noise. The bikes certainly have no power. I can only imagine they don't like you invading their turf. My bike is pretty loud too at full song. It sounds remarkably like a F1 car adn nothing like a Japanese four. Should I guess considering Ferrari helped design the motor, hence F4.
I saw an MV Agusta at cars and coffee in Vegas yesterday. Very nice bike! As for fast, I'll set my cruise control at 195 mph and if you are still next to me, then I'll agree the bike is fast.

When you come into Vegas, look me up. My brother is a big Italian bike nut and he likes to talk bikes. You can find me at grassodefense.com.

As for the roads. Some of the best roads in the US are in Vegas. Everything is new here.

Keeping the car clean is easy. It NEVER rains and the roads are always dry. Keep a California Car Duster handy and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Nice! My prejudice against turbos would have me getting the GT3 instead, but still...
I considered the GT3, but it's too close to the M Coupe in performance. it didn't justify the expense.

The 997 GT3 RS, now thats another story. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

I just got back from Vegas 4 hours ago....Best city on the planet!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #12
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHEORY View Post
I saw an MV Agusta at cars and coffee in Vegas yesterday. Very nice bike! As for fast, I'll set my cruise control at 195 mph and if you are still next to me, then I'll agree the bike is fast.

When you come into Vegas, look me up. My brother is a big Italian bike nut and he likes to talk bikes. You can find me at grassodefense.com.

As for the roads. Some of the best roads in the US are in Vegas. Everything is new here.

Keeping the car clean is easy. It NEVER rains and the roads are always dry. Keep a California Car Duster handy and you'll be fine.
Look forward to it. My bike is just a simple rear sprocket change away from going 200 mph. It'll do 185 with the stock gearing, and stock power. My bike has much more power than stock at the moment. However, I don't necessarily want to go that fast on it. I've been upwards of 180 and that's fast enough. The wind force is unbelievable. Just lift your head a little too much and you feel like the force will blow you off the bike. I probably should have put on a bigger windscreen for here, but I'm mainly out attacking B roads and not doing long autobahn runs.

How's the water in LV for spots? Seems I have about most everything in the Griot's catalog but the in-line water softener. I'm thinking to get it just to not have to dry the car after washing. Are there any other restrictions to washing cars there other than the once a week per vehicle restriction?

Just looking at a map, seems the best roads are out near Lake Mead? Correct? I prefer to live in close proximity to nice curvy roads. I'm looking to at least be within 20 miles of Nellis.

Cheers!
      01-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Look forward to it. My bike is just a simple rear sprocket change away from going 200 mph. It'll do 185 with the stock gearing, and stock power. My bike has much more power than stock at the moment. However, I don't necessarily want to go that fast on it. I've been upwards of 180 and that's fast enough. The wind force is unbelievable. Just lift your head a little too much and you feel like the force will blow you off the bike. I probably should have put on a bigger windscreen for here, but I'm mainly out attacking B roads and not doing long autobahn runs.

How's the water in LV for spots? Seems I have about most everything in the Griot's catalog but the in-line water softener. I'm thinking to get it just to not have to dry the car after washing. Are there any other restrictions to washing cars there other than the once a week per vehicle restriction?

Just looking at a map, seems the best roads are out near Lake Mead? Correct? I prefer to live in close proximity to nice curvy roads. I'm looking to at least be within 20 miles of Nellis.

Cheers!
200 mph on a bike sounds like a death wish to me...hope you don't hit a pebble or a crack in the road...good luck bro.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
200 mph on a bike sounds like a death wish to me...hope you don't hit a pebble or a crack in the road...good luck bro.

It's more stable than you think. Modern hypersport bikes are quite well balanced and feel solid as a rock. Road surfaces aren't usually an issue. More of a hazard (especially Germany) usually involves side winds. Those can be scary, but then again they can push a car around a bit too, especially here. Racing versions of modern bikes typically have slightly longer swingarms to help with high speed stability even more.
      01-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHEORY View Post
I considered the GT3, but it's too close to the M Coupe in performance. it didn't justify the expense.
Speaking of your GT2, check out the latest issue of 911 & Porsche World - they've got a write up on all the GT2s.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Very nice! You got the best color as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Just make sure you get one of those nifty "My Other Car Is An ///M" license plate frames for the Porsche!