ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #23
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

no no you are wrong....manufacturers change the name of their products to change sales figures. It's all about money!! The civic has had it's name for like 30+ years or something because it is a success. Despite being a great seller, the Z3 needed to change it's image and perception to appeal to more people. They do lots of research on name changes. The Audi TT will never change its name because it is Iconic to the brand. If you want to know one thing that's disappointing about the Z3....it's the mileage on the 2.8 coupe sucks. It gets 17 city 24 highway....my 3.0si gets 19 city 27 highway!! according to fueleconomy.gov
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #24
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Ultimately BMW went against their normal convention by changing the name of the Z3 to Z4 with the design change. Look at any 3, 5, 6 or 7 series cars. When the car is recreated with a completely new design, they keep the same designation, mainly for lineage and they also maintain the same market segment so why not. Our Z4s could easily be E8X Z3s. Wouldn't bother me. I like the Z3 and thought it was an instant classic when introduced. I was living in Hawaii at the time and drove a Miata M Edition. First glance at a Z3 and I knew it was levels above my car in style and character, and quality.

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 01-16-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
alindsay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZ408 View Post
I think if alindsay is right; then the question should be - why DIDN'T BMW change the name for the new Z!? IMO I think that the new Z should have been called a Z5.
In my opinion, and that is all it is, is that the new Z is not that different from the old one while the Z4 was a major departure from the Z3.
Melbourne, FL
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #26
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alindsay View Post
In my opinion, and that is all it is, is that the new Z is not that different from the old one while the Z4 was a major departure from the Z3.

As long as the car is relatively the same size as the Z3 and targeted at the same market segment, they should have never changed it. Is a E46 the same as a E90? Not even close, yet they are both 3ers though. If anything, the Z3 and current Z4 share simplicity (soft roofs) and are far more sporty than luxurious as they really lack most modern creature comforts. The new Z4 is really more of a departure and should have been called the Z5, or ZG since it's obviolusly targeted at the female demographic. It's too "pretty" for my likes. It's a Rodeo Drive cruiser, not Nurburgring performer. The one I encountered on the autobahn back in Nov sure was in a hurry to get away from me. No doubt he was embarrassed to be seen in it. Lucky for him I was still running in my car so as soon as I hit 106 mph he walked away and hid.
      01-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #27
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

For a number of years now, BMW has been toying with making all 2-door cars (coupes and convertibles) even numbered cars (2-series, 4-series, 6-series). They seemed to be serious with moving the E9x 3-series 2-doors to 4-series designation, but never did it. The current 1-series 2-door cars were also rumoured to be the 2-series before they were launched. Perhaps the move from Z3 to Z4 was just part of this number re-alignment?
Appreciate 0